In what condition do you carry?

Rocky Rivera

For those of you who elect to carry firearms, in what condition do you carry your weapon?

Condition 0 — Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, safety off.

Condition 1 — Magazine inserted, round in the chamber, safety on.

Condition 2 — Applies to Single-Action/Double-Action primarily. This is a magazine inserted, round in the chamber, hammer forward. For revolvers, it would be rounds inserted into cylinder, cylinder locked into place, hammer forward.

Condition 3 — Magazine inserted, no round in the chamber.

Condition 4 — No magazine inserted, no round in the chamber.

Batman

Condition 1 for semi-auto's (although some do not have manual safety options, just transfer bar or long double action pulls, etc.) and condition 2 for modern revolvers (would not have a live chamber for old tech like cowboy 45's that could bump/drop and fire).

Jonathan

I am working up to a CCW eventually. Condition 0 if I go Glock. Condition 1 if I opt for the Sig Sauer P365.
You look familiar for some reason.. but in any case that is neither here nor there. While I would never tell someone the condition in which to carry their firearm (only you know your own nature, what may or may not be a problem, etc), I just want to say don't shy away from that p365 based on it's size. The recoil is manageable. If you go with Glock, at G19 or G19X is probably the way to go unless you want to go sub-compact. but if that is the case I would highly recommend the p365 over the G26 (Sub Compact 9mm Glock) any day of the week.

it's been around for a few years now, and it would seem most of the initial issues have been corrected (all guns have them at birth). Also, 9mm is one of the most versatile rounds out there. Finally, the p365 would probably be what James Bond would carry if the franchise wasn't already married to Walther (and I love Walthers). It has the lowest profile of any gun I own. I can have an IWB holster and just a t-shirt on a summer day and no one is the wiser unless they are LOOKING to see if you have a concealed handgun. But that goes for every handgun.

Good luck on getting your CHP. Take the NRA training to heart, sear the common safety rules into your brain, and study up on the law about where you can carry concealed and where you can't. Most importantly, study your state's law about what constitutes a justified use of deadly force as opposed non justifiable homicide.

Oh, and even though ammo is high priced right now, still try to hit the range at least once a week. Firearm accuracy really is a perishable skill (I think that was from a Tom Cruise movie/Jack reacher... but it is absolutely true).

Misty S

You look familiar for some reason.. but in any case that is neither here nor there. While I would never tell someone the condition in which to carry their firearm (only you know your own nature, what may or may not be a problem, etc), I just want to say don't shy away from that p365 based on it's size. The recoil is manageable. If you go with Glock, at G19 or G19X is probably the way to go unless you want to go sub-compact. but if that is the case I would highly recommend the p365 over the G26 (Sub Compact 9mm Glock) any day of the week.

it's been around for a few years now, and it would seem most of the initial issues have been corrected (all guns have them at birth). Also, 9mm is one of the most versatile rounds out there. Finally, the p365 would probably be what James Bond would carry if the franchise wasn't already married to Walther (and I love Walthers). It has the lowest profile of any gun I own. I can have an IWB holster and just a t-shirt on a summer day and no one is the wiser unless they are LOOKING to see if you have a concealed handgun. But that goes for every handgun.

Good luck on getting your CHP. Take the NRA training to heart, sear the common safety rules into your brain, and study up on the law about where you can carry concealed and where you can't. Most importantly, study your state's law about what constitutes a justified use of deadly force as opposed non justifiable homicide.

Oh, and even though ammo is high priced right now, still try to hit the range at least once a week. Firearm accuracy really is a perishable skill (I think that was from a Tom Cruise movie/Jack reacher... but it is absolutely true).
That is my husband Eric, you all know him and that is me and Leigh in other pic. Eric is in that pic, too, but I could not fit all three of us in so I plopped him to the avatar after I gave up the cropping game.

Thank you for your detailed explanation and advice. I really think the SIG is where my heart is. I shoot out back here and that is a great line about perishable skills. 9mm is a round that I can control well and I think that will almost definitely be my choice of caliber. I have thought of something full size but there is no way I am going to realistically EDC that weight. But we will see, as I certainly have not pulled the trigger :)drum) yet.

Batman

Our son bought the P365 about 3 years ago and loves it. I've shot it and want to get one at some point in the future. We bought him a XDS-45 3.3 inch model when he graduated high school in 2015 and he loves it too but I think he likes the lesser bulk and easier concealing he gets with the P365. I'm skinny so virtually anything is easy to put in my right appendix inside waist band if it's not small enough to pocket carry which means I can conceal a lot of 4 or 5 inch handguns if I want to with no real discomfort or issues.

Jonathan

That is my husband Eric, you all know him and that is me and Leigh in other pic. Eric is in that pic, too, but I could not fit all three of us in so I plopped him to the avatar after I gave up the cropping game.

Thank you for your detailed explanation and advice. I really think the SIG is where my heart is. I shoot out back here and that is a great line about perishable skills. 9mm is a round that I can control well and I think that will almost definitely be my choice of caliber. I have thought of something full size but there is no way I am going to realistically EDC that weight. But we will see, as I certainly have not pulled the trigger :)drum) yet.
Hey Misty.,

There are a lot of run shops/ranges that will rent you a gun (only to be used on premise at the range). For those shops who do, the G19 is almost ALWAYS one of the ones available because it really is one of those "If I only had one gun" guns to a lot of people). So, I would recommend trying it out first (if you haven't already, of course). The P365 is popular enough that it might show up in the rental glass case but is not a sure thing. If you can somehow test fire it, that would be SUPER useful to make a decision about.

Ultimately, for an EDC, you have to be both comfortable with it in terms of A) How is physically it first you when holstered and B) How comfortable you are in shooting it.

For home defense, just go with a reliable shot gun, especially if you are not way in the sticks. Even a 9mm hollow point can penetrate your drywall and siding, as well as your neighbor's drywall and siding.

Anyways, say Hi to Eric for me. Haven't seen him around much, but then again, I haven't been around much either.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Firearm accuracy really is a perishable skill

And a skill that some of us never quite master. There's no way I could shoot the gun over my shoulder and hit the target in the forehead exactly between the eyes the way those movie stars do... That's one reason why I liked (notice past tense) my super blackhawk with a 10 1/2 barrel... but it's too heavy for me now.

Misty S

Hey Misty.,

There are a lot of run shops/ranges that will rent you a gun (only to be used on premise at the range). For those shops who do, the G19 is almost ALWAYS one of the ones available because it really is one of those "If I only had one gun" guns to a lot of people). So, I would recommend trying it out first (if you haven't already, of course). The P365 is popular enough that it might show up in the rental glass case but is not a sure thing. If you can somehow test fire it, that would be SUPER useful to make a decision about.

Ultimately, for an EDC, you have to be both comfortable with it in terms of A) How is physically it first you when holstered and B) How comfortable you are in shooting it.

For home defense, just go with a reliable shot gun, especially if you are not way in the sticks. Even a 9mm hollow point can penetrate your drywall and siding, as well as your neighbor's drywall and siding.

Anyways, say Hi to Eric for me. Haven't seen him around much, but then again, I haven't been around much either.
Thanks again for the detailed information. Will say hello!