In first, Pope Francis publicly endorses same-sex civil unions

Almost Heaven

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which premiered Wednesday at the Rome Film Festival.

The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment, poverty, migration, racial and income inequality, and the people most affected by discrimination.
“Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God,” Francis said in one of his sit-down interviews for the film. “What we have to have is a civil union law; that way they are legally covered.”

While serving as archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis endorsed civil unions for gay couples as an alternative to same-sex marriages. However, he had never come out publicly in favor of civil unions as pope.

The Jesuit priest who has been at the forefront in seeking to build bridges with gays in the church, the Rev. James Martin, praised the pope’s comments as “a major step forward in the church’s support for LGBT people.”

“The Pope’s speaking positively about civil unions also sends a strong message to places where the church has opposed such laws,” Martin said in a statement.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-pope-francis-publicly-endorses-same-sex-civil-unions/

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I just got a picture in my mind that I can't shake... The catholic church starts allowing priests to marry... and they're marrying each other... I'm sorry for that. I thought maybe typing it out would help me purge the idea from my mind...

And people would still stay in the catholic church...

JamesSuth

While serving as archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis endorsed civil unions for gay couples as an alternative to same-sex marriages. However, he had never come out publicly in favor of civil unions as pope.
I understand that popes are chosen by a group of 120 senior Cardinals. They would have known about this, and indeed all his views when they chose him. I suspect all his views have quite wide support among senior church leaders.

It does make me wonder how ordinary Catholics will react to this. They are taught that what the church says is supreme and correct... and then it changes. I agree with @Tall Timbers whatever the Pope says, the Catholic faithful will continue to follow the religion.

NavyMom

I understand that popes are chosen by a group of 120 senior Cardinals. They would have known about this, and indeed all his views when they chose him. I suspect all his views have quite wide support among senior church leaders.

It does make me wonder how ordinary Catholics will react to this. They are taught that what the church says is supreme and correct... and then it changes. I agree with @Tall Timbers whatever the Pope says, the Catholic faithful will continue to follow the religion.
I live in Baton Rouge. Our state is predominantly Catholic. Thank goodness my family isn't!

I have been reading through comments as articles about this news have been posted on FB about this. The number of people there supporting him is disheartening. The is one lady who thinks homosexuality was a sin in the OT, but no longer is because of Jesus' bloodshed. She said, "anything in the OT is null with Christ's death." I did my best to counter everything she kept saying, but it got too exhausting.

Lord Jesus, Come!

Momma D

This guy has obviously been breaking away from biblical teaching for much of his adult life. I am thankful for no longer being associated with the RCC...
parental insistence...but even as a child felt no connection, other than forced attendance, to that group.
I have close friends who still attend the services, if there were any to attend, but are born again Christians. I have asked the male friend why he still goes there (pre-covid) and he said he was this close to leaving altogether.
He understood where Francis was leading the church, but felt the Lord could still use him to be a positive influence.
I ashamedly did the same thing, but soon came to the realization that we, and especially our sons, needed to be in a Bible teaching church.

Francis has a heck of a lot to answer for...

Shonsu

Borg # 8675309
I live in Baton Rouge. Our state is predominantly Catholic. Thank goodness my family isn't!

I have been reading through comments as articles about this news have been posted on FB about this. The number of people there supporting him is disheartening. The is one lady who thinks homosexuality was a sin in the OT, but no longer is because of Jesus' bloodshed. She said, "anything in the OT is null with Christ's death." I did my best to counter everything she kept saying, but it got too exhausting.

Lord Jesus, Come!

Romans 1:26-27 definitely condemns homosexuality:

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

BTW, I'm not far from you - Napoleonville here.

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
Ugh, the longer I'm in this world, the more visions I'm having of Jesus drop kicking satan into the lake of fire, along with the false prophet and the ac. I don't even feel guilty about it anymore. Mega Jesus superpowers drop kicking evil away forever....ahhh, makes me sleep better at night knowing that this will happen someday!

Seashell

I don’t agree with what Pope Francis is saying at all regarding this, however, gay people are still not allowed to be married in the Catholic Church. He can say what he wants, but he can’t change Church Dogma without a big meeting like Vatican II and it would have to be prayed and voted on before it would become ok in the Church. I don’t think Jesus is going to let Francis actually change the Dogma, although I believe this Pope is helping to Usher in a One World Religion and the True Christians from all dominations are going to have to go underground or die for their faith once the New World Order and One World Religion is up and running. It’s going to make the Natzi’s look like amateurs. It’s kind of interesting because even in Germany during the Holocaust you had great Protestants and great Catholics trying to rescue and save people from the Natzi’s and then you had Protestants and Catholics who worked with the Natzi’s. I think it will be the same soon in the future and I think it’s a lot sooner than we think.

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Mr. Bergoglio, do you actually believe God's Word?

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
(Gen 2:24)

Or is it the word of man/satan you believe?

SkyRider

The guy is a phony. And he pretends to be the self-proclaimed “Vicar of Christ” - Christ's representative on Earth. It is clear that he is unfamiliar with scripture and is calling his own (Satan's) shots.

Back