Immanuel Prayer

Emollie

Does anyone know about Immanuel Prayer? I went to see a new counselor yesterday, and she recommended that we try it if I was comfortable with it. In researching it, I definitely would not be.

Participants sit with a trained Immanuel Prayer Team member and go through a prayer process that is designed to facilitate an intimate connection to God. Through that connection, healing and deliverance may be experienced. This prayer time consists of :
  • Part 1: Opening prayer to bring forward a memory of a time when you felt close to God.
  • Part 2: Based upon that special “God moment,” you pray a prayer of appreciation (out-loud) of who the Lord is for you and your appreciation of His character. For example, “Lord, you are kind, good, faithful, etc.”
  • Part 3: Connection directly with the Lord, sensing His presence. He is Immanuel… He’s never left you… He is present and with you. Notice where He is with you in the present. The Holy Spirit reveals Jesus.
  • Part 4: Ask Jesus directly what He wants you to know, or what His good plans for healing are for you today.
This Intimate connection with the tangible presence of Jesus is often where healing of past and present trauma can occur. To reiterate, Immanuel Prayer is not a counseling session; it’s a time of facilitating an intimate connection with the person of Jesus who counsels, heals, and delivers.

The more I researched, the more disturbed I got. This woman claims to be be a "Christian Counselor", but during our session I realized that this is not the person for me. Just made me realize that I need to spend more time in communion with God - just HIM and me.

Jojo4124

Hmm, reminds me of New Age meditation. Those prayer walk circle things that some churches have are from pagans. RCC adopted contempletive prayer. The problem is that Jesus taught us how to pray. These new meditation n prayer teachings dont teach ppl to pray the Word of God, but to clear your mind. This is how demons can speak to us. We are to FILL our minds, hearts, mouths, etc with the Word of God. Imho, you are wise to be wary.

Many ppl claim to follow Jesus but teach new age things. In the RCC... my RCC highschool biology teacher led us to invite our spirit guide in n to imagine what our personal crystal looked like. Demonic teaching. In college, the RCC church I went to before n after I got saved (I stayed in the RCC for a year after I got saved thinking I might witness Jesus there) taught new age teachings...pantheism, etc. They even had special meditation classes n drumming classes.

Maybe ask this lady where in the Bible does it say to pray like this? Follow God's discernment, compare everything to God's Word!! Great job :)

PS this seems to appeal to feelings. It IS good to remember what God did for us...to praise Him for His testimony, n to ask Him what He'd have us do for Him, but the Bible tells us these things too....always line up with the Word!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Seems to be similar to Bro Lawrence & 'practicing the presence of God'.

What you'll notice that's missing from this formula is the most important:

God's Word.

Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Joshua 1:8-9

I meditate on your age-old regulations....
Psalm 119:52

Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts;
let them proclaim your power.
I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor
and your wonderful miracles.
Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue;
I will proclaim your greatness.

145:4-6

Cognitive focus on God's Word in meditation and prayerfully seeking God's help in applying His principles in one's life will bring an explosion of spiritual growth, peace and wonderful guidance.

I'm constantly amazed with renewed gratefulness for God's Word which provides excellent and dependable navigation along with encouragement and comfort. :nod

Emollie

Hmm, reminds me of New Age meditation. Those prayer walk circle things that some churches have are from pagans. RCC adopted contempletive prayer. The problem is that Jesus taught us how to pray. These new meditation n prayer teachings dont teach ppl to pray the Word of God, but to clear your mind. This is how demons can speak to us. We are to FILL our minds, hearts, mouths, etc with the Word of God. Imho, you are wise to be wary.

Many ppl claim to follow Jesus but teach new age things. In the RCC... my RCC highschool biology teacher led us to invite our spirit guide in n to imagine what our personal crystal looked like. Demonic teaching. In college, the RCC church I went to before n after I got saved (I stayed in the RCC for a year after I got saved thinking I might witness Jesus there) taught new age teachings...pantheism, etc. They even had special meditation classes n drumming classes.

Maybe ask this lady where in the Bible does it say to pray like this? Follow God's discernment, compare everything to God's Word!! Great job :)

PS this seems to appeal to feelings. It IS good to remember what God did for us...to praise Him for His testimony, n to ask Him what He'd have us do for Him, but the Bible tells us these things too....always line up with the Word!
Yes, Amen! Thanks! And I've decided that I will not be going back to see her.

cheeky200386

Totally agree with everyone else. As a counselor myself, she needs to be pointing you to The Word of God. Getting in that book daily is the solution. Sadly the counseling world, even the Christian one, has been infiltrated with new age and feel good messages. It's disgusting.

I would love to hear what she would say if you asked her where her suggestion is in scripture, as someone else asked. Of course, not returning is probably wiser.

Sometimes fellowship with other believers is even more helpful than finding an outside counselor. Especially if the believes are strong mature ones in The Word. God bless you;