I'm puzzled

Lovin Jesus

Just recently I e been noticing something that hadn't happened before. I use my phone to use the internet. When I come to RF and I'm posting something, particularly the prayer threads, as I'm typing my post a note pops up saying "download complete" but I don't do anything to download my post. It just happens at random. I have tried to access my downloaded files and apparently these downloads don't go to my personal files but
go directly to my drive but it doesn't give me any options for deleting those downloads in my
Android drive. I don't know what the purpose is for downloading any of the posts I'm making on the prayer threads and it's not happening in any other forum in RF or any emails or texting just the prayer threads. Does anyone have any idea why my Android is downloading on its own?

GEOINTAnalyst

If you have Auto-updates turned on Android will update applications every time one is available regardless if you are on WiFi or network data. This option is recommended only if you have an unlimited data plan - if it is an App that updates it will be an .apk file it will usually display "Download Complete" when it is finished

If you plug your phone into your computer can you see the files? Generally you have to be in Root to access download updates on Android

GEOINTAnalyst

That 10 minute rule got me - LOL

Root, at least the way we're talking about it here, is the superuser. Your Android phone uses Linux permissions and file-system ownership. You are a user when you sign in, and you are allowed to do certain things based on your user permissions.
Root is also a user. The difference is the root user (superuser) has permission to do anything to any file anywhere in the system. This includes things we want to do, like uninstall application forced on us, or things we don't want to do that can put your Android in an unusable state. When you're doing things with superuser permissions, you have the power to do anything.

Another option is to on stock Android, this app is just called “Files.” Simply open it then tap “Downloads” to access the Downloads folder if there is an .apk file in there for an updated app it most likely needs to be installed and it is a reminder popup

Last edited:

Lovin Jesus

That 10 minute rule got me - LOL

Root, at least the way we're talking about it here, is the superuser. Your Android phone uses Linux permissions and file-system ownership. You are a user when you sign in, and you are allowed to do certain things based on your user permissions.
Root is also a user. The difference is the root user (superuser) has permission to do anything to any file anywhere in the system. This includes things we want to do, like uninstall application forced on us, or things we don't want to do that can put your Android in an unusable state. When you're doing things with superuser permissions, you have the power to do anything.

Another option is to on stock Android, this app is just called “Files.” Simply open it then tap “Downloads” to access the Downloads folder if there is an .apk file in there for an updated app it most likely needs to be installed and it is a reminder popup
I don't have a desktop computer. I don't understand the language you are using like "Root". I just use my Android phone. I do have unlimited data on it. What's weird is those downloads only occur when I am on the prayer threads but it happens every day at least once a day. I gave used my phone for quite a long time and these downloads only started in the past week. I have looked in my settings to try to figure out how to access the files where the downloads went, I even went into the Drive, but can't find them. In the Drive however are some unknown files I tried to delete but the system in the Android doesn't allow me to do deleted those and I don't even know what they are but in the same group of files are things like a picture of my dog that does allow me to delete but as for those unknown files it doesn't let me delete them. Idk. It only has me puzzled because this is something new and I thought if it says download complete that means it has to have gone into some storage in the Android but I just can't figure it out. I think I will just take the phone in to a guy that has worked on my phone before and see if he can find out where those files are and if this even supposed to be happening. Thanks for your information. I wish I could understand tech language. Lol