If you have this book, please...

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
I don't think what you've said about sharing is completely right but I've always wondered about our library system. I don't think libraries pay a royalty fee every time a book or video or game is borrowed. Do they?
I have no idea how the library system works. I’ve never worked on that side of the house. I’m sure if they pay it’s probably just a one time fee though.

Milly_Light

To me the simple test is not whether you have a feeling about something but whether it lines up with the truth of the full counsel of scripture or not, thats the litmus test ....for all teaching!!

The book you want to read which you say is about deliverance I would seriously not bother with ...they believe being born again is being baptised into the Godhead!!! This is false teaching... That alone would be enough to make me not read it ....

As for aquiring knowledge via the likes of Kenneth Hagin, he is a word of faith prosperity gospel preacher and I know others on here can give you specific red flags about him...

If you look in the NT, there are many warnings about last days deception and false teaching, so its not about being quick to label someone a false prophet, its about marking and avoiding unsound doctrine ....

I hope this has been helpful and if not now, then further down the line please look into these things for yourself .....

Don't worry. I don't have the book.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I have no idea how the library system works. I’ve never worked on that side of the house. I’m sure if they pay it’s probably just a one time fee though.

I'm just guessing that the fee is the purchase price of the book. With e-copies they can loan each copy to one person at a time. They can't legally loan it to more than one person at a time.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Last edited:

FaithnHope

I'm just guessing that the fee is the purchase price of the book. With e-copies they can loan each copy to one person at a time. They can't legally loan it to more than one person at a time.
That depends on the company. The one I’ve done the most writing for doesn’t allow sharing of any kind. They send cease and desist orders all the time to Pinterest. They are one of the few publishing houses (that I know of) that are still doing well. This is probably why.

Edited to add- @Tall Timbers I just realized that you are still talking about libraries! This answer is in regards to average people sharing. Sorry about any confusion. My library allows 3 people to download each book at 1 time. I think it’s up to the publishing company.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
@Anewcreationinjesus

By the way. If you know any legit author or preacher, feel free to share with me.

I know, its one of the absolute sadnesses and I reckon signs of the times that there is so much deception out there ....there are many articles and sound teaching and preaching on here like Andy Woods and others who teach verse by verse thorough Bible exposition. Again I know others on here can recommend sound stuff....its a passion of mine simply because just over 2 years ago I had been sucked into a group on a particular website who taught all kinds of things like 144,000 "Joels Army" end times church and all that kind of stuff.

Since God graciously got me outta there I started to compare various teachings with the word and then God got me onto here with great fellowship and sound teaching....one of the key verses for me is Titus 1:9, pastors and elders are to stand in sound doctrine and refute false....its such an important instruction to the church that there are numerous examples in the NT to watch for unsound stuff. Even the very first thing the Lord Jesus says in Matthew 24 is take care no one deceive you!

Am sorry I know there are two separate conversations on this thread so I will quietly leave ....:peek

Andy C

To me the simple test is not whether you have a feeling about something but whether it lines up with the truth of the full counsel of scripture or not, thats the litmus test ....for all teaching!!

The book you want to read which you say is about deliverance I would seriously not bother with ...they believe being born again is being baptised into the Godhead!!! This is false teaching... That alone would be enough to make me not read it ....

As for aquiring knowledge via the likes of Kenneth Hagin, he is a word of faith prosperity gospel preacher and I know others on here can give you specific red flags about him...

If you look in the NT, there are many warnings about last days deception and false teaching, so its not about being quick to label someone a false prophet, its about marking and avoiding unsound doctrine ....

I hope this has been helpful and if not now, then further down the line please look into these things for yourself .....
Good post. “Feelings” IMO matter little, but what lines up with scripture, as you posted, thats what counts.
Any pastor with good public speaking skills can fire up those in attendance, but that does not mean what he speaks is biblically solid. Discernment, and sadly most Christians lack this, and are forever stuck as a baby Christian, not able to properly digest the meat of His Word, all because the only time they pick up the bible is while heading out the door to church.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Libraries are under different categories. The publisher has agreed to have it borrowed.
You can give (not share) your book away. There’s no problem with that. Digital is also different than hard copies. You are supposed to delete your copy if you gift it to someone else. I’ve written for magazines that are locked down so tight I can’t even share it between my phone and iPad. Some publishers are more hardcore about enforcing it than others. Plus, in a lot of countries our laws don’t matter. I’ve seen whole books on Pinterest. It makes me sad for the author. Publishing companies are dying do to theft.

Everything I've looked up says that you can absolutely lend or resell a physical book at your discretion. Otherwise, used book stores would all be illegal. Respectfully, letting one or two people borrow a book isn't theft. Distributing thousands of copies would be theft, but that isn't the same as letting someone borrow your book

FaithnHope

Everything I've looked up says that you can absolutely lend or resell a physical book at your discretion. Otherwise, used book stores would all be illegal. Respectfully, letting one or two people borrow a book isn't theft. Distributing thousands of copies would be theft, but that isn't the same as letting someone borrow your book
She was talking about digital copies in the original question, so yes it is. You can’t legally resell or give away a digital copy. It doesn’t automatically delete once you send it. So now there are 2 copies instead of one. Most companies track sharing now and it can be fined. Some have gone even further and made it so you can only download it once and you can’t move it to another device you own.

If you give your book to your friend or donate or sell your hard copy you no longer have it in your possession, so I do agree that isn’t theft. I stated that earlier in this thread. It is theft if you make copies and give it away as Tall Timbers stated. That’s why in the inside of most books it says, “all right reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without permission in writing from the publisher.”

The publishing companies I work with have whole legal departments to deal with this issue because it isn’t as cut and dry as you would think. I know to the average person this isn’t a big deal but for those of us who depend on it for a living it means a great deal. I meant it when I said I lost several thousand dollars when someone gave my work away to all of his customers. The lost income mattered a great deal to my family.

Last edited:

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
She was talking about digital copies in the original question, so yes it is. You can’t legally resell or give away a digital copy. It doesn’t automatically delete once you send it. So now there are 2 copies instead of one. Most companies track sharing now and it can be fined. Some have gone even further and made it so you can only download it once and you can’t move it to another device you own.

If you give your book to your friend or donate or sell your hard copy you no longer have it in your possession, so I do agree that isn’t theft. I stated that earlier in this thread. It is theft if you make copies and give it away as Tall Timbers stated. That’s why in the inside of most books it says, “all right reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without permission in writing from the publisher..”

The publishing companies I work with have whole legal departments to deal with this issue because it isn’t as cut and dry as you would think. I know to the average person this isn’t a big deal but for those of us who depend on it for a living it means a great deal. I mean’t it when I said I lost several thousand dollars when someone gave my work away to all of his customers. The lost income mattered a great deal to my family.

I getcha now. I thought you meant sharing a physical book was theft as well as sharing a digital copy; that's why I asked:

So you think it's theft if I let my friend borrow a physical book even?

But you responded

Apparently, my answers don’t satisfy you. Please look it up. Again, it’s not what I think, it’s the law.

So I took that as you saying it's illegal to share a physical book

FaithnHope

I getcha now. I thought you meant sharing a physical book was theft as well as sharing a digital copy; that's why I asked:

But you responded

So I took that as you saying it's illegal to share a physical book
I apologize for the confusion. I read too fast and lost the most important word in what you wrote.
I also forget that you guys don’t live in my head - or world. Sharing a hard copy could be assumed a COPY ie you still have the book but gave a copy away.
I feel like the more I try to explain the more I might be confusing you. I do apologize if that’s the case.

FaithnHope

This is why I no longer read books. :biggrin2 :dilbert :biggrin2 . Just kidding. But, on a more serious note, I only read the bible, or articles from this site and Jack Kelley web page.
I love to read but it’s getting very hard to find good authors. I do enjoy Joel Rosenberg’s books. His Twelfth Imam series was hard to put down! His next one is due to come out next month. I’m really looking forward to reading it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I love to read but it’s getting very hard to find good authors. I do enjoy Joel Rosenberg’s books. His Twelfth Imam series was hard to put down! His next one is due to come out next month. I’m really looking forward to reading it.

I'm always in the middle of both a Christian fiction e-book and audio book. I listen to the audio when I'm jogging. I get 99.9% of what I read from the library, that's why I'm interested in the topic of author compensation for library books. We got a thread on this Board that lists a lot of decent authors. The really good writers are few and far between but there are a great many who are "good enough", and sometimes those good enough writers will put out a top quality work of fiction. I found a link to the thread I'm thinking of: https://raptureforums.com/forums/threads/what-are-some-good-christian-fiction-books.151651/

Are you listed in there somewhere?

FaithnHope

I'm always in the middle of both a Christian fiction e-book and audio book. I listen to the audio when I'm jogging. I get 99.9% of what I read from the library, that's why I'm interested in the topic of author compensation for library books. We got a thread on this Board that lists a lot of decent authors. The really good writers are few and far between but there are a great many who are "good enough", and sometimes those good enough writers will put out a top quality work of fiction. I found a link to the thread I'm thinking of: https://raptureforums.com/forums/threads/what-are-some-good-christian-fiction-books.151651/

Are you listed in there somewhere?
No, I’m in the craft field, I write how-to’s. I’d love to write fiction but right now I’ve been called to a very secular field that needs Jesus. Those nasty hat women? They are my readers. It’s a rough road to navigate. I share Jesus as often as possible and it has cost me work and I have been bullied. But the Lord provides and protects!

Thank you for that list! What a gold mine!

Milly_Light

Good post. “Feelings” IMO matter little, but what lines up with scripture, as you posted, thats what counts.
Any pastor with good public speaking skills can fire up those in attendance, but that does not mean what he speaks is biblically solid. Discernment, and sadly most Christians lack this, and are forever stuck as a baby Christian, not able to properly digest the meat of His Word, all because the only time they pick up the bible is while heading out the door to church.

They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?" Luke 24:32.

mattfivefour

@Milly_Light, I am so thankful you began this thread before you made a terrible error that would have dragged you into Satan's abyss of confusion and corruption.

I can tell you that the very premise of Ms. Mendez-Ferrell's book has no Scriptural foundation whatsoever. To get to her premise, she distorts the meaning of Scripture, adding her interpretation as to what it means. Her main premise is two-fold:
  1. She says that some people are unable to receive salvation because Satan is holding their soul captive in spiritual places. Ms Mendez-Ferrell even goes so far as to describe these regions of Satanic captivity as "prisons, pits and turbid currents of muddy waters." What she does not really explain is how part of a person (we are all tri-partite beings: body, soul, and spirit) can be separated out and taken away somewhere yet the person remain alive;
  2. In order to rescue someone like that, Ms. Mendez-Ferrell says she prophetically enters the spiritual place to set that person free from Satan's bondage. Hogwash! None of that is in Scripture. The only person who ever entered Satan's realm and set the captives free was Jesus Christ and He did it once for all time for all people!
Ms. Mendez-Ferrell is a schizophrenic who had her children taken from her, spent years under psychiatric care, including confinement to a psych hospital. I do not repeat that (though she herself says it) in order to taint her, but to give some context to why she perhaps sees the things she sees and believes the things she believes. According to the introduction to her book, she says that when her twin sister Mercedes was taken to hospital apparently suffering from three brain tumors, Ms. Mendez-Ferrell began a journey into the spiritual realm , the climax of which was that with the help of good angels she was able to rescue some missing pieces of her sisters soul being held by Satan, carry them to the hospital, and reintegrate them into her sister who was healed.

If you feel as if you just went down the rabbit hole with Alice, you are not alone!

Reading part of her book, it is clear that the focus in all of this stuff becomes what we do "heroically" (her word) in the spirit realm, time after time, "serving" God to rescue imprisoned souls. What the focus is NOT on is that Jesus did this once for all, taking captivity captive and freeing ALL souls from Satan's power if they simply call on Him in faith and accept Him as their Savior. Which one of those two statements is Scriptural? Putting the focus on us? Or on Christ? Giving us the role in freeing captive souls? Or proclaiming Christ's sole role?

I could go on an on. But that is enough.

But please understand that, for those who have family members who are not saved and who seem impermeable to the gospel, I can understand their being drawn to such stuff as this. After all, we ALL desperately want our loved ones to be saved. None of us wants to think of them eternally separated from God, burning in torment forever. So, when someone comes along and claims they have the secret to success for our friends and family, it is natural to jump at what they have to offer. Even when, as Ms. Mendez-Ferrell herself says, the teaching is the result of an entirely "new realm of revelation." that God has chosen to give her outside of Scripture. Tragically, it is those poor people who have unsaved loved ones—and so badly want to see them saved—who are made prey and taken captive by such false teachers as this woman.

We who know the immutable truth of Scripture stand against all these false teachers (Kenneth Hagin being a granddaddy of them all) and thus we speak boldly against them. I pray nobody here on RF is taken in by them,. If somebody wants to know how to set the captives free, ask me. I'll tell you what God says. And it won't be based on some "new realm of revelation." It'll be based solely on HIS Word, once revealed and eternally effective.