If You Believe Jesus, You Must Pour Out The Gospel

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
By Kelley Crampton

Last Sunday afternoon, I went out to a local park to share the gospel with strangers for the first time in my life. It’s embarrassing that, after being a born-again believer for several years, I had never before presented the gospel story to someone who is openly not a Christian.

But the truth is, I believe I’m not alone in that. I’ve been a Christian in a good church for years, but I’ve never been pushed to share the gospel or even seriously consider something like door-to-door evangelism. I’ve been taught about the sinful nature of man, our inability to rescue ourselves, God’s justice and wrath, His love in sending Jesus Christ, the finished work on the cross, the eternal life we have now in Him, and the absolute necessity of every element of the gospel for how we live every single day – but why have I never shared this with the people I come into contact with on the street?

Because it’s awkward to confront people. Because I can “preach the gospel at all times; use words when necessary”. Because I don’t have time to stop on the streets and start long conversations with people. Because I’m not articulate enough. Because someone could ask me a question I don’t know the answer to. Because I live in the South and everyone already knows the “gospel.” Because I’m weak. Because *insert your seven million excuses here*.

If the gospel is true, these excuses mean nothing.

If the gospel is true, it has the power to change lives and change the world.

If the gospel is true, what could be more important than bringing this truth into every aspect of our lives, including our interactions with strangers?

In the midst of our excuses about sharing the gospel, people are dying. They are dying a slow and painful and eternal death.

Charles Spurgeon reminded his people of this, “Meditate with deep solemnity upon the fate of the lost sinner, and, like Abraham, when you get up early to go to the place where you commune with God, cast an eye toward Sodom and see the smoke thereof going up like the smoke of a furnace. Shun all views of future punishment which would make it appear less terrible, and so take off the edge of your anxiety to save immortals from the quenchless flame.”

But more than an eternity of death, there is life without Christ at stake. Life without comfort, purpose, joy, peace, security, grace, forgiveness, love, a Brother, a Father, a Guide. Remember those going through life right next to you outside of Christ.

Are we pouring out as if we believed the gospel we claim?

As Christians, we are (or ought to be) always filling up on God’s truths. We’re seeking His face in daily quiet times, we’re praying to Him, we’re going to church and learning from our pastor and fellowshipping with other believers. We do all of these things to fill ourselves up.

When we’re full, we need to pour out.

So often, we talk about filling up and making sure you have good things pouring into you, but we leave it there. Don’t stop short of proclaiming the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9)!

If we are full of Jesus, we must speak forth boldly.

Maybe not everyone is called to evangelize in the park. Maybe it’s the person behind you in line at the grocery store, the visitor in Sunday service, or the neighbor working in the yard beside yours. Whatever it looks like, go and make disciples. Start a conversation. Ask an uncomfortable question. Have an awkward interaction for the sake of the Kingdom. May God give us grace to overcome our excuses in pouring out to others the most important news in the world.

https://www.raptureforums.com/salvation/if-you-believe-jesus-you-must-pour-out-the-gospel/

InsuranceGuy

It is definitely a difficult thing to do. I think in the past, most people would just ignore you. Today, people don't just not want to hear the gospel, they HATE it. I find very few people anymore that do not have a strong opinion on Christianity one way or the other, at least in America. Most of the folks I know that attend church don't want to hear the gospel either. They attend church either because they always have, it's a networking opportunity or they want to learn how to save for retirement, talk to friends or hear about how good they are for being in church. Hearing the gospel would drive them away.

lenraff

It is definitely a difficult thing to do. I think in the past, most people would just ignore you. Today, people don't just not want to hear the gospel, they HATE it. I find very few people anymore that do not have a strong opinion on Christianity one way or the other, at least in America. Most of the folks I know that attend church don't want to hear the gospel either. They attend church either because they always have, it's a networking opportunity or they want to learn how to save for retirement, talk to friends or hear about how good they are for being in church. Hearing the gospel would drive them away.
Brother, nothing is too hard for our God. The secret is prayer, asking God to make you sensitive to the Holy Spirit's leading. My wife and I have the privilege of passing out and sending out many tracts this past year, which produced many opportunities to witness. The religious hate the Gospel more than the liberals, but the Great Shepherd is still gathering His sheep through people like YOU.
Just a note here- A young man during the civil war was wounded and ordered to the rear. He protested and begged the Captain for a weapon to continue the fight. But the Captain ordered him to the rear and out of the battle. A short time later he returned and said to the Captain "SIR GIVE ME A WEAPON, THIS BATTLE HAS NO REAR" You are in the battle.

Kem

Citizen
Honestly, I have never confronted someone just on the street that I didn't know. Presenting the gospel is normally for someone that you have had some kind of friendship with for most folks but my dad did have a gift of evangelism and often confronted folks on the street and from time to time was able to lead them to Christ. As far as I know, no one ever got angry with him but perhaps he simply did not mention those times. In any case this was in the late 1900's. He died in 2001.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
It is definitely a difficult thing to do. I think in the past, most people would just ignore you. Today, people don't just not want to hear the gospel, they HATE it. I find very few people anymore that do not have a strong opinion on Christianity one way or the other, at least in America.
Brother, I have a t-shirt that says "Y'all need Jesus" ($4.95 at Wal-Mart in America.) I got it because it's kind of in your face and I figured it would provoke a response. It does. Often people are offended and say something along the lines of "I don't need Jesus". My response (always with a big smile) is "Well, it's not that you don't need Jesus. It's that you don't WANT Jesus. And that's all right. God has given you that choice. So if you don't want Jesus I'm certainly not going to try to force you to have Him. (pause) But I WILL pray you figure out you NEED Him, before it's too late." And I walk away.

InsuranceGuy

Brother, I have a t-shirt that says "Y'all need Jesus" ($4.95 at Wal-Mart in America.) I got it because it's kind of in your face and I figured it would provoke a response. It does. Often people are offended and say something along the lines of "I don't need Jesus". My response (always with a big smile) is "Well, it's not that you don't need Jesus. It's that you don't WANT Jesus. And that's all right. God has given you that choice. So if you don't want Jesus I'm certainly not going to try to force you to have Him. (pause) But I WILL pray you figure out you NEED Him, before it's too late." And I walk away.
That is awesome! I had some Rapture shirts with bible verses on them that I would wear at one time. The only time I ever had anyone say anything though was a friend of mine. He told me not to "come at him with my bible **** and we would keep getting along just fine." I always have on my cross necklace, which has caused a stir a time or two, but never created a conversation. I'll look up the Jesus shirt. Wearing it in Walmart would probably be a good start.

LisaJoe1986

I was just online yesterday looking for a t-shirt that might provoke a conversation with people who come my way. I want a shirt that says "truth lover" but that is not to be found. I also ordered some tracts from "The Way of the Master." I, like many of you who have shared here, have come to the sad realization that most do not want anything of Jesus. May God bless all of our endeavors to share the Gospel, whatever they may be.

Len

without going into a lot of details, my wife and I had gone camping last week and asked God to give us oppotunity to speak to someone(not a common thing) ..... that night I noticed a bloke cooking at a community camp fire and I just started talking to him I also noticed he had been drinking but he said something to me that seemed an opening and I asked him if he beleived in life after death which turned into a "where will you spend eternity" message which he took quite well and listened intentley asking some questions then he left and within 5 minutes his girlfriend (50yo)came over and I learn they had been drinking all day commiserating over the suicide of her dearest friend....... my God not only paved the way He even gave me the right topic and words to these people who had been discussing death all day ...... ask and the door will be opened, seek and you will find ....... I am not good at wittnessing nor "looking" for oppotunity but I do listen for that door that makes it comfortable to turn a conversation to the questions of eternity, most people DO think of death at some point eh!

InsuranceGuy

I tried to do some witnessing to my daughter last night. We're in trouble with the younger generation. I needed that Jesus shirt I think. lol

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
without going into a lot of details, my wife and I had gone camping last week and asked God to give us oppotunity to speak to someone(not a common thing) ..... that night I noticed a bloke cooking at a community camp fire and I just started talking to him I also noticed he had been drinking but he said something to me that seemed an opening and I asked him if he beleived in life after death which turned into a "where will you spend eternity" message which he took quite well and listened intentley asking some questions then he left and within 5 minutes his girlfriend (50yo)came over and I learn they had been drinking all day commiserating over the suicide of her dearest friend....... my God not only paved the way He even gave me the right topic and words to these people who had been discussing death all day ...... ask and the door will be opened, seek and you will find ....... I am not good at wittnessing nor "looking" for oppotunity but I do listen for that door that makes it comfortable to turn a conversation to the questions of eternity, most people DO think of death at some point eh!
Awesome, Len! Andrea and I have found that when we ask God to give us a chance to speak to someone, He always does. I pray that campground couple cannot escape the words you shared, and will be drawn to turn to Jesus Christ as their Savior. :pray

Mikedexion

By Kelley Crampton

Last Sunday afternoon, I went out to a local park to share the gospel with strangers for the first time in my life. It’s embarrassing that, after being a born-again believer for several years, I had never before presented the gospel story to someone who is openly not a Christian.

But the truth is, I believe I’m not alone in that. I’ve been a Christian in a good church for years, but I’ve never been pushed to share the gospel or even seriously consider something like door-to-door evangelism. I’ve been taught about the sinful nature of man, our inability to rescue ourselves, God’s justice and wrath, His love in sending Jesus Christ, the finished work on the cross, the eternal life we have now in Him, and the absolute necessity of every element of the gospel for how we live every single day – but why have I never shared this with the people I come into contact with on the street?

Because it’s awkward to confront people. Because I can “preach the gospel at all times; use words when necessary”. Because I don’t have time to stop on the streets and start long conversations with people. Because I’m not articulate enough. Because someone could ask me a question I don’t know the answer to. Because I live in the South and everyone already knows the “gospel.” Because I’m weak. Because *insert your seven million excuses here*.

If the gospel is true, these excuses mean nothing.

If the gospel is true, it has the power to change lives and change the world.

If the gospel is true, what could be more important than bringing this truth into every aspect of our lives, including our interactions with strangers?

In the midst of our excuses about sharing the gospel, people are dying. They are dying a slow and painful and eternal death.

Charles Spurgeon reminded his people of this, “Meditate with deep solemnity upon the fate of the lost sinner, and, like Abraham, when you get up early to go to the place where you commune with God, cast an eye toward Sodom and see the smoke thereof going up like the smoke of a furnace. Shun all views of future punishment which would make it appear less terrible, and so take off the edge of your anxiety to save immortals from the quenchless flame.”

But more than an eternity of death, there is life without Christ at stake. Life without comfort, purpose, joy, peace, security, grace, forgiveness, love, a Brother, a Father, a Guide. Remember those going through life right next to you outside of Christ.

Are we pouring out as if we believed the gospel we claim?

As Christians, we are (or ought to be) always filling up on God’s truths. We’re seeking His face in daily quiet times, we’re praying to Him, we’re going to church and learning from our pastor and fellowshipping with other believers. We do all of these things to fill ourselves up.

When we’re full, we need to pour out.

So often, we talk about filling up and making sure you have good things pouring into you, but we leave it there. Don’t stop short of proclaiming the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9)!

If we are full of Jesus, we must speak forth boldly.

Maybe not everyone is called to evangelize in the park. Maybe it’s the person behind you in line at the grocery store, the visitor in Sunday service, or the neighbor working in the yard beside yours. Whatever it looks like, go and make disciples. Start a conversation. Ask an uncomfortable question. Have an awkward interaction for the sake of the Kingdom. May God give us grace to overcome our excuses in pouring out to others the most important news in the world.

https://www.raptureforums.com/salvation/if-you-believe-jesus-you-must-pour-out-the-gospel/
I was watching a testimony of a Pastor who was once a Jihadist, you can see his testimony on Youtube. He was taught in Saudi Arabia that Christianty is not the truth and that all American's are Christians. So He had in his mind to come to America and study english so he could convert people to Islam (God had other plans though). As he was learning and observing American's he came across a Christian family and his heart was touched by how warm, loving, and caring the family was.... fast forward 20 years and he eventually accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ and is now a Pastor of a Church, and he found out that family never stopped praying for him.

I have to keep reminding myself also, we never know what kind of fruit we may have been responsible for if we just showed God in our actions towards others. Prayer is also so important. Its like if we are sports players, we have to talk to the great coach first so he can setup the play before we try to execute our own plays. One plant's one water's and God gives the increase.

Jeff K

Our church sets up a tent at the local county fair every year. My favorite opener with the younger generations is to make the statement - "As an older man, can I ask you - the young generation a question? (Most of them think they have all the answers, so I seldom get a no) Would you say that you have spiritual beliefs?" After I listen to their responses, I ask if they believe in heaven and hell. Most of them say yes. Then I ask where they think they'll go when they die, heaven or hell. The common answer is, "I don't know". The conversation takes off when I raise my eyebrows and say, "that's a pretty important question to know the correct answer to.

I like to think of it as farming. I'm either planting, tilling or harvesting. All which I could do none of without the Holy Spirit providing everything I need to be a witness for Him.

Len

we have to talk to the great coach first so he can setup the play before we try to execute our own plays. One plant's one water's and God gives the increase.
planting, tilling or harvesting. All which I could do none of without the Holy Spirit providing everything I need to be a witness for Him.
...... both posts are spot on!

so many lost and so few soul farmers hey JeffK! but may God give us each the passion to sow in the fields towards the increase ..... pray for wisdom, for the words but most of all for patience when listening before speaking, and "Fear Not" for the Lord is with thee!!