IDF chief says all fronts 'fragile,' could deteriorate into a war

John Romans

Saved by Grace through Faith
Israel is currently dealing with multiple arenas and enemies at the same time, with the northern front the most fragile, which could deteriorate into war, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi has said.

Despite the fact that Israel’s enemies are not interested in war, the IDF has “increased it’s pace of preparations” for confrontation, Kochavi told journalists on Wednesday. “On both the northern and southern fronts, the situation is tense and fragile, and could deteriorate into a confrontation."

https://m.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Co...s-fragile-could-deteriorate-into-a-war-605696

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
Israel is currently dealing with multiple arenas and enemies at the same time, with the northern front the most fragile, which could deteriorate into war, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi has said.

Despite the fact that Israel’s enemies are not interested in war, the IDF has “increased it’s pace of preparations” for confrontation, Kochavi told journalists on Wednesday. “On both the northern and southern fronts, the situation is tense and fragile, and could deteriorate into a confrontation."

https://m.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Co...s-fragile-could-deteriorate-into-a-war-605696
When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies...:candle

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Psalm 83 could be just around the corner..question..should i bother trying for a loan to get my house up to code? It's falling down around my ears..but at 60 and prophecy being fulfilled every day..should I care?...naa..don't think so...
Why not? If we must linger here it's better if your house is standing. If not, well, the rapture will be the ultimate default. (Note: I am not a financial expert, nor do I play one on tv.)

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
As short as our time may be, I would still maintain my home and I'll still put up a Christmas tree and purchase presents for the wife and kids, I'll still plan and prepare dinner tonight, as we don't know the day or the hour. We don't know if it will be today or a moment 10 years from now. Everything happening in the Middle East does point to a sooner rather than later date...

athenasius

This makes me lean towards the possibility that Psalm 83 is indeed a future prophecy that will be fulfilled. Time will tell. What does everyone else think?
I didn't use to think Bill Salus was right about the Psalm 83 war. As several good teachers including Arnold Fruchtenbaum point out, if that Psalm is a prophecy, it was fulfilled during the wars of Independence, 6 Day war & Yom Kippur. And if it's an imprecatory Psalm as some say, then it's not a prophecy. But in Bill's defense, not all of it was fulfilled in the wars as Bill points out, and the Psalmist who wrote #83 WAS Asaph the Seer, who was a prophet. So there's that.

However what has really changed my mind is actually a good close look at several other scriptures that align with the whole Psalm 83 scenario.

I've been mentioning them a lot lately but what got me going was the way Ez 38 is worded. Israel back from some war, ON the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL. Yeah that would be the WEST BANK area. Things that make me go HMMMMM Then again there is the controversy over the word Betach meaning dwelling in careless ease. That could mean trusting in the IDF or living at ease without walls IN THE WEST BANK!!!!

I really started tying it together when Netanyahu announced that Israel was going to formally take over the West Bank starting with the Jordan Valley area. The West Bank is none other than Judea and Samaria, and it's other name in the Bible is the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL. So I was taking a look at that in relationship to Ez 38:8 a land RESTORED FROM THE SWORD whose inhabitants have been gathered... to the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL which had been a continual waste.... and they are living SECURELY all of them.

Then there are the passages dealing with the destruction of Damascus. I know, not really Psalm 83 but then looking at them closely in context they seem tied to a lot of passages dealing with the people named in Psalm 83.

Have a look at the following:
Isaiah 17 - Destruction of Damascus talks about the disappearance of the fortified cities from Ephraim (part of the West Bank and northern Israel today, mostly West Bank)

DAMASCUS is mentioned in the following parallel passages:

Jeremiah 49:23-27-- but look at the whole chapter from beginning to end. At the END you find Elam (modern south west Iran) along with some of the groups that became modern Jordan.

Ammon in 1-6 is Jordan's northern middle, centered around Amman Jordan, the capital. vs 7-22 deal with Edom, which is southern Jordan including Petra. 23-27 Damascus and28-33 are Kedar and Hazor which are in Northern Arabia and by the southern side of the sea of Galilee in Israel's north. not too sure how those fit in. Finishes with 34- 39 dealing with the south western area of Iran known as Elam in Bible times.

Amos 1:3-5 Damascus but also GAZA and modern Jordan

Zechariah 9:1-8 which also mention Lebanon and Gaza as well as Damascus.

Then Ezekiel 32 verse 17- 32
That one has another parallel passage to the Elam passage in Jeremiah which really raised my eyebrows when I read this one. I was listening to Bill Salus and he mentioned this passage talking about how the doom coming onto Elam (Iran) is tied to her use of terrorism, so I looked it up and read it like this :woah:eek2:eek
and started to think this is the key to what we are calling the Psalm 83 war.

This passage starts out with a new prophecy starting in v 17. It's a lament for Egypt and her people who obviously die in some conflict. Yet in some way she is comforted by knowing that a lot of other people died too. The first one mentioned is Assyria (read SYRIA) and the first of many repeated refrains saying "All of them are slain, fallen by the sword, who spread TERROR in the land of the living."

Elam comes next, same refrain. Remember Elam is the south west shores of the Persian Gulf side of Iran, right up into the seismically active mountainous region. Bill wrote a whole book on Elam using the Jeremiah 49: 34-39 passage.

Turkey is next with the reference to Meshech and Tubal and their hordes. Again with the terrorism.

Jordan -- the southern end is mentioned as Edom.

The chiefs of the north are mentioned as well as the Sidonians (modern day Lebanon in the area around ancient Sidon). So somehow Lebanon gets into the mix, and if the "chiefs of the north" are an obscure reference to the Russians, which I think might be a possibility if the time frame is around now, then it looks like the Russians take a bit of a beating in this conflict too.

At the end Egypt is comforted by these deaths making up for Pharoah (leader of Egypt) and his army dying. It says that God instilled a terror of him (Pharoah) in the land of the living yet he too goes down to death to lie with those killed by the sword.

I have no idea if this is all related into the same time frame, but TWO things point that way.
The Destruction of Damascus
The ELAM situation.
Those occur in the same passage of Jeremiah 49 AND the association of Syria's destruction with the Elam thing in Ezekiel 32.

so when I saw that and put them together in my head, I also saw a number of the problem nations in the same context as one or other of these 2 key events. Problems like Jordan who prevent Israel from building her temple or even worshipping on the Temple Mount. The WAQF is under the control of Jordan. Jordan who invaded and took the "west bank" from Israel in 1948 yet who to this day screeches that Israel taking it back 19 years later in 67 was somehow "invading and occupying" land that wasn't Israel's.

I may be out to lunch altogether but that is why I am again thinking of Psalm 83 as a viable prophetic scenario on the near horizon, as Bill Salus has often pointed out.

Israel must at some point be allowed to build her Temple, and Jordan at present, not to mention Gaza, Lebanon, Syria and the "west bank" Palestinians are a problem.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
IDF chief says all fronts 'fragile,' could deteriorate into a war
IDF releases new multi-year plan.
By Anna Ahronheim
October 25, 2019

Israel is currently dealing with multiple arenas and enemies at the same time, with the northern front the most fragile and at risk of deteriorating into war, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kochavi said. Despite the fact that Israel’s enemies are not interested in war, the IDF has “increased its pace of preparations” for confrontation, Kochavi told journalists on Wednesday.

“On both the northern and southern fronts, the situation is tense and fragile, and could deteriorate into a confrontation,” Kochavi said. Tensions with the Hamas-run Gaza Strip continue to pose a threat to Israel, with rounds of violent conflict breaking out several times over the last year. Close to 2,000 rockets were fired from the blockaded coastal enclave towards Israel by Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hamas in the last year alone, killing five Israeli civilians, the highest number of civilian casualties since Operation Protective Edge in 2014.

Ongoing violence in the West Bank by Palestinians has also killed several civilians and IDF soldiers. But, according to Israel’s top military officer, the “central strategic challenge of the State of Israel lies in the northern arena,” where Iran continues to consolidate its forces in Syria and work with Hezbollah on its precision missile project. “In both cases, this is an Iranian-led effort, using the territory of countries with very limited governments,” Kochavi said, referring to Syria and Lebanon.

For years, Iran has been trying to establish a 1,200 km.-length land bridge from Tehran to the Mediterranean, a major concern for Israel which, since 2013, has been carrying out a “war-between-wars” campaign aimed at preventing Iran from reaching that goal. Israeli officials have warned that Iran is also attempting to entrench itself in Iraq, a mainly Shia country, as it did in Syria, where it has established and consolidated a parallel security structure. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in August hinted at Israel’s role in several strikes in the country, saying that “Iran has no immunity – anywhere.”

This summer, a new border crossing 2.6 km. west of the official Al-Bukamal Al-Qaim border crossing opened between Syria and Iraq, making it easier for Iran to expedite the transfer of weapons from Tehran to groups like Hezbollah in Syria or Lebanon. “For many years, Hezbollah has taken the State of Lebanon hostage and established its own army there,” Kochavi said, adding that it is Hezbollah that “actually determines the security policy” of Beirut.

In August, Israel was blamed for a drone attack on Hezbollah in its Beirut stronghold which, according to a report by The Times, targeted Hezbollah’s precision missile project, including crates with machinery to mix high-grade propellant for precision-guided missiles. Shortly after that alleged Israeli attack and an IAF strike in Syria days earlier, which killed two Hezbollah operatives planning to launch a drone attack against northern Israel, Hezbollah fired a Kornet anti-tank missile towards an IDF vehicle in northern Israel.

While there were no Israeli casualties or injuries, the incident marked the first time since the Second Lebanon War in 2006 that saw direct confrontation between the IDF and Hezbollah, which is fully backed by Iran. A senior defense official this summer said that while preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear bomb remains Israel’s top priority, thwarting Hezbollah’s precision missile project has become the second top objective. After those two goals, the official said, comes the third priority of preventing Iranian entrenchment in various Middle Eastern countries.

“Due to developments and situational assessments, it was decided three months ago that the precision missile project would be given high priority because of the immediate danger it poses,” the senior official said. “The military echelons were informed of this decision. We cannot afford to be surrounded by thousands of precision missiles that could land and harm the State of Israel.” According to the source, “Our three targets have one address – Iran,” adding that Iran’s Quds Force Commander Qassem Soleimani is the address for two of the three threats. “To prevent this consolidation by Iran, we are carrying out many operations that nobody knows anything about,” he said, adding that the operations are carried out by the IDF and the Mossad.

WITH ISRAEL facing multiple arenas and enemies at the same time, the IDF has released its new multi-year plan, which will focus on improving the military’s defensive and offensive capabilities. Dubbed “Momentum,” the plan will officially begin on January 1, 2020, and was formed following a critical and comprehensive investigation into the IDF’s strengths and weaknesses, which led the military to decide to update the operating concept and build a new one for the next decade. While the plan will formally go into effect next year, the military has already begun to implement several decisions, including two general combat procedures – one in the South and one in the North.

Under the plan, there will be a change in the formulation of the operational concept of victory of the IDF, which will include new concepts and methods of warfare which have been adapted to the challenges of the urban battlefield saturated with enemy fire. The IDF will also focus on closing the gaps in several key areas, including weapons and manpower, as well as increasing the intelligence directorate’s ability to detect enemy forces in urban areas. The military will also focus on improving offensive capabilities of all corps against decentralized enemy troops, which requires more offensive platforms and weapons.

As such, the military will procure a significant amount of precision guided missiles and mid-sized drones as well as additional air defense batteries. The IDF will also spread capabilities to all the operational-end units – battalions and companies – to encourage different branches to work together in maneuvering and defense, as well as empower troops and commanders in the field.

There will also be a digital transformation, where all aspects will be connected – from the drones and pilots in the sky to the tank and platoon commanders on the ground – to improve the military’s effectiveness by sharing information, knowledge and capabilities. The plan, which will focus on the preparedness of troops for future war, will preserve the increased training that was implemented under the Gideon multi-year plan – an increase from 13 weeks to 17 weeks of consecutive training – and increase troops training for urban combat in realistic simulators.

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-...s-fragile-could-deteriorate-into-a-war-605696

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
As short as our time may be, I would still maintain my home and I'll still put up a Christmas tree and purchase presents for the wife and kids, I'll still plan and prepare dinner tonight, as we don't know the day or the hour. We don't know if it will be today or a moment 10 years from now. Everything happening in the Middle East does point to a sooner rather than later date...
I was really convinced the rapture would happened before I graduated high school and I wouldn't have to worry about college. Now, almost 2 and a half years into college, I'm making sure I'm still planning for the future just in case we are still here in ten years.

aldanielle

I love this! I don’t understand anything in the Middle East at all no matter how hard I try but I do believe His return is approaching! I think you said this very well.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't use to think Bill Salus was right about the Psalm 83 war. As several good teachers including Arnold Fruchtenbaum point out, if that Psalm is a prophecy, it was fulfilled during the wars of Independence, 6 Day war & Yom Kippur. And if it's an imprecatory Psalm as some say, then it's not a prophecy. But in Bill's defense, not all of it was fulfilled in the wars as Bill points out, and the Psalmist who wrote #83 WAS Asaph the Seer, who was a prophet. So there's that.

However what has really changed my mind is actually a good close look at several other scriptures that align with the whole Psalm 83 scenario.

I've been mentioning them a lot lately but what got me going was the way Ez 38 is worded. Israel back from some war, ON the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL. Yeah that would be the WEST BANK area. Things that make me go HMMMMM Then again there is the controversy over the word Betach meaning dwelling in careless ease. That could mean trusting in the IDF or living at ease without walls IN THE WEST BANK!!!!

I really started tying it together when Netanyahu announced that Israel was going to formally take over the West Bank starting with the Jordan Valley area. The West Bank is none other than Judea and Samaria, and it's other name in the Bible is the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL. So I was taking a look at that in relationship to Ez 38:8 a land RESTORED FROM THE SWORD whose inhabitants have been gathered... to the MOUNTAINS OF ISRAEL which had been a continual waste.... and they are living SECURELY all of them.

Then there are the passages dealing with the destruction of Damascus. I know, not really Psalm 83 but then looking at them closely in context they seem tied to a lot of passages dealing with the people named in Psalm 83.

Isaiah 17 - Destruction of Damascus talks about the disappearance of the fortified cities from Ephraim (part of the West Bank and northern Israel today, mostly West Bank)

Jeremiah 49:23-27-- but look at the whole chapter from beginning to end. At the END you find Elam (modern south west Iran) along with some of the groups that became modern Jordan.

Ammon in 1-6 is Jordan's northern middle, centered around Amman Jordan, the capital. vs 7-22 deal with Edom, which is southern Jordan including Petra. 23-27 Damascus and28-33 are Kedar and Hazor which are in Northern Arabia and by the southern side of the sea of Galilee in Israel's north. not too sure how those fit in. Finishes with 34- 39 dealing with the south western area of Iran known as Elam in Bible times.

That one has another parallel passage to the Elam passage in Jeremiah which really raised my eyebrows when I read this one. I was listening to Bill Salus and he mentioned this passage talking about how the doom coming onto Elam (Iran) is tied to her use of terrorism, so I looked it up and read it like this :woah:eek2:eek

This passage starts out with a new prophecy starting in v 17. It's a lament for Egypt and her people who obviously die in some conflict. Yet in some way she is comforted by knowing that a lot of other people died too. The first one mentioned is Assyria (read SYRIA) and the first of many repeated refrains saying "All of them are slain, fallen by the sword, who spread TERROR in the land of the living."

Elam comes next, same refrain. Remember Elam is the south west shores of the Persian Gulf side of Iran, right up into the seismically active mountainous region. Bill wrote a whole book on Elam using the Jeremiah 49: 34-39 passage.

Turkey is next with the reference to Meshech and Tubal and their hordes. Again with the terrorism.

The chiefs of the north are mentioned as well as the Sidonians (modern day Lebanon in the area around ancient Sidon). So somehow Lebanon gets into the mix, and if the "chiefs of the north" are an obscure reference to the Russians, which I think might be a possibility if the time frame is around now, then it looks like the Russians take a bit of a beating in this conflict too.

At the end Egypt is comforted by these deaths making up for Pharoah (leader of Egypt) and his army dying. It says that God instilled a terror of him (Pharoah) in the land of the living yet he too goes down to death to lie with those killed by the sword.

I have no idea if this is all related into the same time frame, but TWO things point that way.
The ELAM situation.
Those occur in the same passage of Jeremiah 49 AND the association of Syria's destruction with the Elam thing in Ezekiel 32.

so when I saw that and put them together in my head, I also saw a number of the problem nations in the same context as one or other of these 2 key events. Problems like Jordan who prevent Israel from building her temple or even worshipping on the Temple Mount. The WAQF is under the control of Jordan. Jordan who invaded and took the "west bank" from Israel in 1948 yet who to this day screeches that Israel taking it back 19 years later in 67 was somehow "invading and occupying" land that wasn't Israel's.

I may be out to lunch altogether but that is why I am again thinking of Psalm 83 as a viable prophetic scenario on the near horizon, as Bill Salus has often pointed out.

Israel must at some point be allowed to build her Temple, and Jordan at present, not to mention Gaza, Lebanon, Syria and the "west bank" Palestinians are a problem.
I'm inclined to agree with you, sis.

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8

The ELAM situation.

Thank you for sharing your research and making sense of it for me.

athenasius

Appreciate it.

I really think Bill Salus is right along with this IDF chief, and we are heading at some point here for a local war in the Middle East that will result in the Damascus event, it will take out Iran's nuclear ability while leaving Iran intact enough to go into Israel in the Ez 38 invasion and somehow changes the motivations of Iran from wiping Israel out to stealing everything that isn't nailed down. That IS big.

Bill made an interesting point, in the reason why Damascus gets destroyed. They try to rob Israel again. Land? Oil? Golan Heights? Isaiah 17:14 says this is the portion of those who plunder us. So somehow in all this Syria tries yet again to take Israeli land or resources. Jeremiah asks a question in Jer 49:25 that needs thinking. The city of praise and God's joy is NOT DAMASCUS but Jerusalem! This is a rhetorical question that implies that DAMASCUS tried to destroy Jerusalem (city of praise which is not deserted, the city of God's joy--but Damascus IS destroyed--deserted by death)

-- Syria starts something, perhaps Damascus launches an attack on Jerusalem and tries to invade. They quickly end up dead, and Bill points out that their terror comes from the sea--Jer 49:23 and might be a nuke launched from an Israeli submarine or conventional weapons that light up some of the horrific stockpile of WMDs buried around Damascus.

Isaiah 17:9 is clear that the children of Israel cause the desolation whether intending to or not.

I could see Iran suddenly deciding to launch their nukes at Israel in response, and God destroying the "foremost of their might" in the area of Elam in Iran. That launches a wave of refugees fleeing the disaster in Elam, to the 4 winds, all over the world. Bill has a good explanation in his book on Elam as well as his NOW prophecies book.

The others get involved in some way-- Lebanon, Gaza, West Bank, Jordan, and even Egypt gets sucked in. Turkey and Russia (if Russia is the "chiefs of the north") take a beating. In the case of Lebanon, Gaza, West Bank, Jordan and Egypt this might be why none of those nations are part of the invasion of Ez 38-- still too damaged, too weak. In the case of Egypt and Jordan they are presently allied with Israel to some degree, but that may not stop them from trying to take advantage of Israel in a difficult situation..

The whole war as Ez 32 outlines it, seems to be related to the constant spewing of terrorism. Triggered by something. We know that according to Isaiah 17:14 that Syria wanted to rob Israel and according to that rhetorical question in Jer 49:25 that it seems Syria launched an attack against Jerusalem.

I think Syria is the trigger. Assad might be feeling lucky that day when he decides it's time to follow thru on his constant threats to take the Golan Heights away from Israel again and attack Jerusalem. Maybe he feels more secure squeaking threats from behind Mother Russia's skirts.

Maybe the constant Israeli election turmoil is making all Israel's enemies feeling lucky.

Turkey and Russia and Iran take a serious beating but they are still functional enough and deluded by Satan and their own greed to invade later in the Ez 38 invasion.

And as Bill Salus points out, at the end of this war which he calls the Psalm 83 war, Israel ends up with more land, and in a peaceful unwalled state. She doesn't expect the attack of Ez 38.

And Ez 38:8 says they are living on the Mountains of Israel (the West Bank) in unwalled peace and safety. That phrase the Mountains of Israel IS the West Bank.

8 After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety.