Ice Cube Trays

Andy C

Man on the site.....

If I removed a few cubes, and refilled with water, and a few minutes later my wife turned the tray over to dump out the some ice, she would have water all over the place, and I would be running for the hills

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Man on the site.....

If I removed a few cubes, and refilled with water, and a few minutes later my wife turned the tray over to dump out the some ice, she would have water all over the place, and I would be running for the hills
You like running, don't you? If so, where's the problem with that scenario?
Psst: Andy makes a good point... but let's not let it go to his head...

aldanielle

My roommate recently went to get ice from the tray and it was empty. I have only lived here since May, but she was like what happened to all of the ice?! She said she knew I didn’t use ice ever. Turns out, it evaporates even in the freezer. She apologized to her adult children for all the times the tray was empty and they swore they hadn’t used any. This post gives me a giggle. Also, it makes sense not to refill so someone else doesn’t dump water out, but I’d have never thought of that.

DanLMP

I still have an old metal tray in my freezer, for just in case.
The only reason that I can think of for not adding water, is that it can make the cubes uneven and splinter a bit when the tray is emptied.
Among the problems with old ice cubes is that they sublime (switch directly from a solid to a gas) over time and disappear, mentioned up thread.

The other problem with old cubes is they tend to absorb food odors.

kathymendel

I use my ice cube trays to freeze things in small quantities.............like, water, left over milk in a carton while it is still good, basil from my herb garden in olive oil, etc................. but, once frozen, I remove them to a plastic freezer bag (labeled). It all comes in handy at some point, and I'm not wasting leftover foods, or what not.

I also use my muffin tins to make mini meat loaves, egg tartlets, along with muffins, etc. to put in the freezer.

Dovesouls

I have ended up with water all over the place countless times (2 men in the house. Need I say more!) because of newly filled trays. So, this was my solution (which has been so far very successful):
I have 4 trays, which I rotate. I put the newly filled one all the way to the left on the bottom of the stack. I keep a sealed tupperare container in the freezer which I empty the ice trays into so that the ice does not evaporate and does not absorb odors. This way, there is always ice to be had and no water on the floor. Win, win. :)

RobinB

I have ended up with water all over the place countless times (2 men in the house. Need I say more!) because of newly filled trays. So, this was my solution (which has been so far very successful):
I have 4 trays, which I rotate. I put the newly filled one all the way to the left on the bottom of the stack. I keep a sealed tupperare container in the freezer which I empty the ice trays into so that the ice does not evaporate and does not absorb odors. This way, there is always ice to be had and no water on the floor. Win, win. :)

Good plan!

Amity

Living in an RV my fridge doesn't have an icemaker. There is a separate under counter built-in icemaker that freezes but doesn't make cubes anymore, so it's about to get replaced with a glass front beverage cooler for all my water bottles and Mike's Mt. Dew. So for ice I got one of the as seen on tv ice genie. The blue tub thing. Works really well. I just have to press it against the edge of the counter a few times to break up the ice a bit before pulling out the inner sleeve.

I make a pitcher of ice tea just about every day and I got a new pitcher at target a couple of weeks ago. Since ice is a prized commodity around here, I really love that this pitcher has a tube that screws into the lid like an infuser tube, but solid. I fill it with water and keep it in the freezer, then pop it in the pitcher after making fresh tea, then once sufficiently chilled later I take it out, wash it off and pop it back in the freezer for the next brew. Love it.

Last edited: