I was involved in a Cult for three separate occasions.

seated with Christ

The cult was called The Local Church, The local individual churches was called, "Local Church of [ insert city ]". It was founded by Witness Lee an associate of Watchman Née. I know that Watchman Nee is an acclaimed Christian writer and author, but I have heard the warning, "Watch out for Watchman Nee" (play on words).

I don't know or remember a lot about them, but their Mode of Operation is to start "churches" in University cities. My city is a university city. They meet in House Churches, in homes. You would likely see Chinese couples and members of academia.

Y'all ready for this, you know the scripture, [after the birth of Seth's son Enosh, the Bible says] "then people began to call upon the name of the Lord" (Genesis 4:26).
Here is The Local Church's demonic error, they believe that is literal, they actually call on the name of the name of the Lord in vain repartition. A service would consist of people sitting around saying, Lord Jesus, amen, Lord Jesus, with little deviation.

I condemned myself for having no decernment, it took me two services and visiting a member's home to finally leave the cult.

Last edited:

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
The cult was called The Local Church, The local individual churches was called, "Local Church of [ insert city ]". It was founded by Witness Le (or Lee) a associate of Watchman Née. I know that Watchman Nee is an acclaimed Christian writer and author, but I have heard the saying, "Watch out for Watchman Nee".

I don't know or remember a lot about them, but their Mode of Operation is to start "churches" in University cities. My city is a university city. They meet in House Churches, in homes. You would likely see Chinese couples and members of academia.

Y'all ready for this, you know the scripture, [after the birth of Seth's son Enosh, the Bible says] "then people began to call upon the name of the Lord" (Genesis 4:26).
Here is The Local Church's demonic error is that they believe that is literal, they actually call on the name of the name of the Lord in vain repartition. A service would consist of people sitting around saying, Lord Jesus, with little deviation.

I condemned myself for having no decernment, it took me two services and visiting a member's home to finally leave the cult.
Praise God you got out of there!

Deception is horrible - you don't realise you are actually in it at the time!

I swallowed two lots of false teaching 1) Elite end times church website which seemed all to be about the Lords return but had masses of false teaching on there 2)For a time I swallowed TULIP including limited atonement Calvinism!

Praise God for rescue!!!

seated with Christ

I swallowed two lots of false teaching 1) Elite end times church website which seemed all to be about the Lords return but had masses of false teaching on there 2)For a time I swallowed TULIP including limited atonement Calvinism!

Praise God for rescue!!!
I won't throw TULIP out, it's going on my spiritual shelf.

John Calvin was a Catholic priest turned Reformation Preacher. I am not knowledgeable enough to pass judgment yet.

seated with Christ

Praise God for rescue!!!
Agreed on deception part.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13

John Calvin was a Catholic priest turned Reformation Preacher. I am not knowledgeable enough to pass judgment yet.
Beware, Calvinism is one of the most subtle and dangerous falsehoods, many leave one apostate teaching and swing to the other end of the spectrum (NAR to Calvinism for example).

There is an excellent testimony I read online a few months back about a heavily indoctrinated woman leaving Calvinism. I will have to find it for you.

Check out the book by Dave Hunt - What Love is This?

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....

I read through Calvin's Institutes when coming out of limited atonement Calvinism - and if you compare sections from that to the full picture of the Bible - especially his view that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell - ie double predestination. ....then folks can make up their own mind whether it's sound or not:

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/calvins-institutes.149259/#post-842793542

That is the basic question - is the teaching Christ didn't die for all but only the church - is that of the truth? And if the L part of TULIP is not true - then the rest naturally follows...it's up to everyone to make up their own mind on this - I have never seen such vicious arguments as those between "Calvinists" and "Arminians" - truly horrible!

All I know is I no longer believe limited atonement to be sound - and so give TULIP teachers a wide berth - because whatever they come out with is going to be from a TULIP framework ....

It's all very heavy stuff - I have a folder of notes I did concerning various false teaching including cults but have left that and am trying to stay in simply studying the word!!!!!!

Am just grateful for the testimony the Lord has given me out of many many scrapes - and looking forward to the time when false teaching of all kinds will be no more!!!

Last edited:

seated with Christ

I once went to Sunday School with a staunch Calvinist, he was quite adamant on limited atonement.

During my denominational days, a deacon declaring that he was a Calvinist was the Good House Keeping Seal of Approval, qualified to serve.

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
I once went to Sunday School with a staunch Calvinist, he was quite adamant on limited atonement.

During my denominational days, a deacon declaring that he was a Calvinist was the Good House Keeping Seal of Approval, qualified to serve.
False teaching of any stripe really does make me grieve intensely ....I also really feel for pastors and have prayed for them in their job as undershepherds - no wonder there is a particular crown promised to the undershepherds!!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
How can I blindly judge? I can't, wait until I learn more before I am held accountable. :peek

A good perspective to have.:nod

I would encourage you, when you have time to start researching just to save yourself much heartache.

There's good Christians within Calvinistic arenas but there's unnecessary straining of passages to in essence eat away at God's love, grace and extending of salvation to all people. Thus assurance of Salvation and legalistic type of working for salvation creeps in.

One must be very careful to take in all scripture to formulate conclusions in regards to Salvation and to preserve God's full truth. :)

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Word of caution!!! Those who call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Those who believe that Jesus paid for they're sins in full and because he rose, they too will rise!!! Faith in Christ and Chirst alone!!!

Now, having said that, yes there's deception and false teachings in the church today.

I don't know the heart and neither do you! That's why, I will not judge salvation!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I don't know the heart and neither do you! That's why, I will not judge salvation!

Yes, we can't know the heart. Only God can. :)

But we can certainly have biblical discernment and recognize faulty teachings as Paul encourages us to in Acts,Timothy, Titus....well just about all the New Testament books.

And we can, with gentleness and kindness warn others, out of love, not judgementalness (which only serves to propell others away). These things are both what pulled me out of severely false biblical teachings. :)

RonJohnSilver

Beware, Calvinism is one of the most subtle and dangerous falsehoods, many leave one apostate teaching and swing to the other end of the spectrum (NAR to Calvinism for example).

There is an excellent testimony I read online a few months back about a heavily indoctrinated woman leaving Calvinism. I will have to find it for you.

Check out the book by Dave Hunt - What Love is This?

Although I generally like Dave Hunt, his book on Calvinism didn't get especially good reviews, despite the endorsements in the forward. The main issue, as I recall, is that he used a lot of secondary sources, that is, quoting from people who weren't either knowledgible or were stating their opinions as fact. Anyway, read with discernment, which is a good thing to do with anyone.

Yes, we can't know the heart. Only God can. :)

But we can certainly have biblical discernment and recognize faulty teachings as Paul encourages us to in Acts,Timothy, Titus....well just about all the New Testament books.

And we can, with gentleness and kindness warn others, out of love, not judgementalness (which only serves to propell others away). These things are both what pulled me out of severely false biblical teachings. :)
100%.

Some false teachings are definitely not a matter of salvation. I would argue that it is more of a matter of sanctification. If we are looking to a teacher or denomination to affirm our salvation and our walk, this is dangerous ground. The enemy can and will use this to steal from us a blessed relationship with Christ. Soon we might find ourselves following man's doctrine and reading man's interpretation of the Word. I know this because it happened to me and a little leaven does leaven the whole loaf. Thankfully I was truly saved by faith, but what of others who just gave lip service and never truly believed with the heart? They are in for a painful experience, and they are not saved. Of course God only knows who is saved, but I know these people exist. Heaven forbid they get into a place of leadership where they are teaching others!

Although I generally like Dave Hunt, his book on Calvinism didn't get especially good reviews, despite the endorsements in the forward. The main issue, as I recall, is that he used a lot of secondary sources, that is, quoting from people who weren't either knowledgible or were stating their opinions as fact. Anyway, read with discernment, which is a good thing to do with anyone.
I truly appreciate the advice and I agree that proper biblical discernment is most important when testing doctrine. What I've read so far has been very good with direct quotations from the works of Calvin and Augustine. Dave is an excellent expositor and he fully develops his case. Yes, he does use secondary sources but that just builds on his primary arguments.

These critics you mention are likely Calvinists themselves who vehemently go after critics of their beloved Calvin.

I just never really understood how Calvinists can refute the writings of Calvin or Augustine, however. :D