I want to formally introduce myself

Noah Cotterill

I never got the chance to really introduce myself to the forum as a whole and tell my story, so here it is:

My name is Noah. I was born in October of 1989 in Portland, Oregon, but raised in Medford, OR. I don't have a father. I've known Jesus since I was 2.

I am married to my beautiful wife ( December, 2009), and we have a 19 month old son!

I've gone through lots of hard times in my life, but I've always been able to use them to help, care for, and comfort others. I counseled a lot of rape victims in high school (girls trusted me for some reason, despite being a guy), and I was able to empathize with many people of various situations.

I also grew up studying science constantly. Even when I was a few years old, I was reading books on the solar system, body organ-systems, paleontology, among others. Therefore, I've begun to understand that I want to help and care for others using the knowledge of gained, of which both I'm passionate about.

I had a hard time deciding on a career path. I entered college seeking to go into echocardiography, and possibly medicine. I was denied by OIT, so I attended a CC, where I achieved a GPA that got me into OIT. I ended up having to withdraw because of family problems (surgeries, etc.) and the stress with wedding planning. I ended up having several hiccups in school afterward, and stopped going all-together.

I started attending school again in the winter of 2011 with a strong dedication toward becoming a physician. So, now I'm on a crazy and strenuous path toward medicine. It's been hard, especially with a child, and a wife who works and is going to school (for dental assisting) too. God has really helped me through it even as I have struggled constantly. My drive to be a doctor (ultimately a surgeon) has been from the realization that God has healed me much, and used me to heal others. To be honest, I could never stand sitting around and grading papers (not that it isn't important), or doing anything else, when I could be repairing people.

So, now here I am exhausted, but I wouldn't have it any other way, even when I would technically graduate until 2019, not including a 5-year residency.

I've really enjoyed being on the RF, and really enjoy the friendly and warm community that has been so kind and welcoming.

If you want a look into what I'm trying to do, this video of the (only) christian med school Loma Linda illustrates it very well.

[YOU TUBE VIDEO]IeSW2Gg1qIY[/YOU TUBE VIDEO]

readytogo

Welcome (finally) to the forum. I couldn't watch the entire video because I was getting a little queasy. More power to you if you can watch this.

ahlecce

I will be praying for you Noah. As someone who was born with a congential heart defect, I have to thank people like you who want to help people like me. If there is anything I can ever do to help you if you need to write a paper about congential heart defects, just let me know. Do you want to be a thoracic surgeon?

Robert

Well, a belated welcome to the forums bro :hug :hug :hug

I really applaud your desire to become a doctor; it's a rigorous, demanding career, but a worthwhile one. Being a surgeon takes a lot of skill, dedication and trustworthiness (not to mention a good steady set of hands! :lol: ). But from reading your posts online, if they are any indicator of the type of person you are, then I think the Lord has set a most excellent person on the path to being a doctor.

I'll be praying for you, your family and your studies bro. :pray: .

Meg

Hey Noah, here's a formal welcome to RF :hug :hat: :thumbup :thumbup :chihuahua :lol: :hug

Seriously, we've been really enjoying your company since you joined. I know a bit about being a Doctor, as my Dad was a career MD, ObGyn, and Mom was a RN. I've also seen a Med school from the inside (Medical College Of Georgia), and I have an idea of what you're putting yourself through. You chose one of the most challenging fields of study on the planet! I sincerely hope you excel. I think you have the potential to be a great Doctor, and I suspect you'd be like Dad and put the medicine first (as opposed to the money and status like so many of them do today). God bless you deeply dear Brother, its a pleasure to meet you!

nillapoet

Almost 800 posts before an introduction? :lol:

Well, officially welcome to the forum.

I don't have the attention span, or the intellect to be a doctor, so I'm a little jealous.

Noah Cotterill

Ahlecce: Cardiothoracic surgery is one of my options. That or orthopedics.

Adrian: Thanks!

Robert: Thanks, brother! It's going to take a lot of help from God. I'm not as smart as I may sound at times :lol: I still struggle a lot

Meg: That's great your parents are both in the medical field! OB/GYNs are really blessed too. My good friend who's an OB gave birth to my son, and he loves his job. He's a great christian too. I was talking to my wife when we made the decision for me to go for med school, and I told her, "I would honestly be a doctor even if the pay was less than what a nurse makes." The career just looks fun, and I genuinely love helping people. It sounds cheesey and untruthful, but I'm being honest. I cannot say, however, that the money won't be nice (after I pay off my 500,000$ student loans. I'm already in something like $30k). :lol:

Nillapoet: I posted a lot in a very short period of time. I'll be posting a lot less now that summer break is over (I only took one class over summer break). And it was worth introducing myself, because I've been having to explain my story several times :p

Thanks Livinforchrist, and karen!

anath

I Love the Lord
Welcome Noah :hug You, your wife and baby will be in my prayers. May God bless you in your endeavor to help others.

JC1949

Bravo Noah!!!!....me not like doctors very much 'cause they have stuffed me up quite a lot in the course of my life....( I am a young 63 old boy :cookiemonster: )....but I am glad that you are going to be one so I can look at them and forgive them ( the doctors,I mean :clown: ) because a great brother like you is one of them....:elmogrin ....one of my daughter,Angelica,26,is a nurse....in the baby dept,assisting births..and by the way,she is pregnant herself and if,IF Jesus does not come until then,in January 2013 I am going to become a nonno ( grand pa) for the first time....is going to be a boy,Manaia is his name,cause the father is Maori...nice combo...my daughter Italian,the husband Jordan Maori,so the boy is going to be a dynamite kid!!:lol:....btw back to NOAH....your name means comfort if I remember well,and so the Gift of THE LORD to you is to comfort others and that is a great gift....shalom and blessings to you and your great family!!!!:wave:wave:wave

Noah Cotterill

JC - Thank you! I hope that little one blesses you greatly!

Meg - I like to think of it as a choice between giving someone the ability to either, for example: the ability to continue to properly pump blood through their system, or say fix someone's hand so they can continue to work and provide for their family, or endure less pain daily from tendonitis. :nod

SonSeeker

After two hip replacements and two torn rotator cuff surgeries, I'm sure you can guess which field I prefer. But I'm sure you'll be a success in whatever field you choose.

Oh, welcome to RF, too!:thumbup

Carl

Noah the thing that really counts and makes your career worth while is: is it something that you really really like to do. If you have that then it isn't work it is something that you enjoy it isn't a job, it is a way of life!

God bless you and care for you. May God fill your heart with joy. May God fill your heart with love for your patients. May God fill your life with many interesting people.

ahlecce

Noah I'm rooting for the cardiothoracic surgeon!! (obviously) :lol: As a single ventricle, three-chambered, fontan heart surgery patient, I can tell you that there is more than one way for a heart to pump blood. I will be praying that you will know what direction God wants you to pursue. :pray:

Noah Cotterill

Robert - Indeed, but he was also in the business of ophthalmology (eye doctor: healed the blind), infectious disease (leprosy), otolaryngology (replaced a dude's ears), neurosurgery (healed the lame), hematology (woman with bleeding disease), and an instensivist (ICU doctor, bringing Lazarus and Himself back to life)!

SonSeeker: That's great! I was just studying about rotator cuff injuries :)

Carl - Thank you very much! I'd rather work 80 hours a week as a doctor (and I will be) than doing anything else.

Ahlecce - that's amazing! Indeed. Your surgeon diverted your blood flow from your right atrium to the pulmonary arteries right? Did you have tricuspid atresia?

Suzanne - thank you!