I think I've started the change.....

Mama Bug

Well, had some blood work done. They are checking my thyroid level and iron, don’t know what else. They took three vials of blood so hopefully they check everything. Had an EKG, doctor said it looks fine. He’s sending it over to a cardiologist and is trying to get me in to see him sooner than my appointment next month. He said to stop going to the chiropractor because it’s giving me anxiety. Something was mentioned about possibly starting a beta blocker. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’ve read good and bad things about going that route. He’s not enthusiastic about benzodiazepines and I’m not either. They can be addictive. I’m not enthused over an antidepressant and refuse to take one. I hope they can figure out why this is happening to me. I don’t want to live like this. My husband and kids need a functional wife and mother. I feel so bad right now I could qualify for disability.

Judy4Jesus

God is GOOD!
Praying for you sister!! Panick attacks are horrible to go through. I pray your bloodwork will show something that you can treat easily and with zero to low side effects. I take thyroid meds for hypothyroidism and also have gone through the change. I take St John's Wart to level out my anxiety...it helps me alot. But be sure to always discuss with dr before you take anything to to make sure it wont interfere with other meds you may take. Please keep us posted on your results! :pray:pray:hug

Ducati

Well, had some blood work done. They are checking my thyroid level and iron, don’t know what else. They took three vials of blood so hopefully they check everything. Had an EKG, doctor said it looks fine. He’s sending it over to a cardiologist and is trying to get me in to see him sooner than my appointment next month. He said to stop going to the chiropractor because it’s giving me anxiety. Something was mentioned about possibly starting a beta blocker. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’ve read good and bad things about going that route. He’s not enthusiastic about benzodiazepines and I’m not either. They can be addictive. I’m not enthused over an antidepressant and refuse to take one. I hope they can figure out why this is happening to me. I don’t want to live like this. My husband and kids need a functional wife and mother. I feel so bad right now I could qualify for disability.
I feel like I'm reading something my wife wrote...she even had one of her thyroids removed due to a growth. Believe me, I understand and so does my wife - you two should talk. Oh, by the way...she is on disability now because of it all. "Was" a successful practicing RN....not now. :(

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
And so far I don't like it. I'm back and forth about what it means but right now the fact that I may be doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the symptoms I'm having. If this is indeed the change. I'm on my period right now. A few days ago is when the trouble started. I felt weak in my arms and legs. That's gone on for a few days but seems to have improved today. I felt like my legs were going to give out from under me. I've started having panic attacks as of a couple of months ago, usually around my period. I have a history of them anyway but usually not in a pattern of right around my period. It's normally more consistent than that. We're in a heat wave in the great state of Alabama and I went to urgent care yesterday trying to get a diagnosis. I think my back has been causing the weakness. It was hot in the waiting room. I started having a panic attack, or what I thought was one, right there. I freaked out and told them I need to get back there NOW! It was nice and cold where the exam rooms are. I felt like my forehead was on fire. They took me on back. I wasn't like angry and demanding, I was scared.

I had another episode today. I was fine all day until I went outside to get the trash and recycling bins from the road. My body threw a fit! The air conditioner has not been able to keep up today because it was so oppressively, unbearably hot. It was 81 degrees in my living room. It's still going and I've got the fans on too. Anyway, I have developed an intolerance to heat now. It never bothered me like this before. I am not sure if I have started having hot flashes and it's giving me anxiety or if anxiety is causing hot flashes. Or if I'm having hot flashes. I don't know what they're like so have no idea if I'm having them. I just know I calm down when I get by the air vent. I'm cold natured so this is all very strange to me.

I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist and see if they can check my hormones. I don't know what to do from there if it does turn out that I'm going through the change. I'm scared to take anything. I was afraid to take a klonopin. I've taken antidepressants before. Never again. HRT comes with risks that I'm not sure I should take. There is cancer in my family and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the risks. I don't really look forward to toughing it out either though. I don't feel like I can call my mother. She's never understood my panic attacks and has been insensitive in the past. She is showing signs of trying to understand but when you're told enough times to chill out or get over it, you tend to be unsure of whether or not you can talk to them without them being judgmental. The only person in real life I talk to about this is my husband. He's been great, supportive, and loving. But as a man, there's only so much he can do. He does keep me calm though.

I'm 45, so I'm the right age. Oh, and after my massive panic and intolerance to heat, I couldn't stop crying. I can handle that better than I can the panicking though. I so cannot wait for the Lord to give me my new body. One that isn't defective and annoying, no more crying, no more dark circles, no more lines, no more gray hair, no more pain.

:hug :console

Reference hormones. If you can take them, you can only take them for so long because of health issues and risks. Guess what happens when you stop the hormones :eek

I couldn't take them because of previous recurrent thyroid cancer. I later got a gynecological cancer. Really glad I hadn't taken the hormones because they would have (probably) masked the symptoms of the cancer, increased the rate of progression, and the cancer might not have been caught in time.

If you need to lose weight, do it now. Fast may be easier than slow, and then easier to keep off than trying to do it slowly because of hormonal changes. It's a lot easier to lose weight before you get to the other side. And since fat cells produce estrogen, they make the whole thing worse and last longer.

Doc might give you meds to help you through mood swings, etc. menopause. Some options are psych meds because they have multiple uses and effects. Depending on what's going on, you and your doc need to work together to help you feel better. When used this way, people usually don't need the meds when they get to the other side. I didn't know back then that there was help, so never asked, and the VA was so male-oriented, no one ever asked me. If I could go back, I'd definitely ask.

Hang in there. The other side is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. No worries about pregnancy. Less monthly expense. No PMS. No surprises. No "fat days." Etc., etc., etc.

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:

JustLikeHeaven

And so far I don't like it. I'm back and forth about what it means but right now the fact that I may be doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the symptoms I'm having. If this is indeed the change. I'm on my period right now. A few days ago is when the trouble started. I felt weak in my arms and legs. That's gone on for a few days but seems to have improved today. I felt like my legs were going to give out from under me. I've started having panic attacks as of a couple of months ago, usually around my period. I have a history of them anyway but usually not in a pattern of right around my period. It's normally more consistent than that. We're in a heat wave in the great state of Alabama and I went to urgent care yesterday trying to get a diagnosis. I think my back has been causing the weakness. It was hot in the waiting room. I started having a panic attack, or what I thought was one, right there. I freaked out and told them I need to get back there NOW! It was nice and cold where the exam rooms are. I felt like my forehead was on fire. They took me on back. I wasn't like angry and demanding, I was scared.

I had another episode today. I was fine all day until I went outside to get the trash and recycling bins from the road. My body threw a fit! The air conditioner has not been able to keep up today because it was so oppressively, unbearably hot. It was 81 degrees in my living room. It's still going and I've got the fans on too. Anyway, I have developed an intolerance to heat now. It never bothered me like this before. I am not sure if I have started having hot flashes and it's giving me anxiety or if anxiety is causing hot flashes. Or if I'm having hot flashes. I don't know what they're like so have no idea if I'm having them. I just know I calm down when I get by the air vent. I'm cold natured so this is all very strange to me.

I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist and see if they can check my hormones. I don't know what to do from there if it does turn out that I'm going through the change. I'm scared to take anything. I was afraid to take a klonopin. I've taken antidepressants before. Never again. HRT comes with risks that I'm not sure I should take. There is cancer in my family and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the risks. I don't really look forward to toughing it out either though. I don't feel like I can call my mother. She's never understood my panic attacks and has been insensitive in the past. She is showing signs of trying to understand but when you're told enough times to chill out or get over it, you tend to be unsure of whether or not you can talk to them without them being judgmental. The only person in real life I talk to about this is my husband. He's been great, supportive, and loving. But as a man, there's only so much he can do. He does keep me calm though.

I'm 45, so I'm the right age. Oh, and after my massive panic and intolerance to heat, I couldn't stop crying. I can handle that better than I can the panicking though. I so cannot wait for the Lord to give me my new body. One that isn't defective and annoying, no more crying, no more dark circles, no more lines, no more gray hair, no more pain.
I’m in perimenopause too..turmeric and Amberen (they're hormone free) have helped me tremendously. Night sweats and hot flashes are gone now.