I think I've started the change.....

Mama Bug

And so far I don't like it. I'm back and forth about what it means but right now the fact that I may be doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the symptoms I'm having. If this is indeed the change. I'm on my period right now. A few days ago is when the trouble started. I felt weak in my arms and legs. That's gone on for a few days but seems to have improved today. I felt like my legs were going to give out from under me. I've started having panic attacks as of a couple of months ago, usually around my period. I have a history of them anyway but usually not in a pattern of right around my period. It's normally more consistent than that. We're in a heat wave in the great state of Alabama and I went to urgent care yesterday trying to get a diagnosis. I think my back has been causing the weakness. It was hot in the waiting room. I started having a panic attack, or what I thought was one, right there. I freaked out and told them I need to get back there NOW! It was nice and cold where the exam rooms are. I felt like my forehead was on fire. They took me on back. I wasn't like angry and demanding, I was scared.

I had another episode today. I was fine all day until I went outside to get the trash and recycling bins from the road. My body threw a fit! The air conditioner has not been able to keep up today because it was so oppressively, unbearably hot. It was 81 degrees in my living room. It's still going and I've got the fans on too. Anyway, I have developed an intolerance to heat now. It never bothered me like this before. I am not sure if I have started having hot flashes and it's giving me anxiety or if anxiety is causing hot flashes. Or if I'm having hot flashes. I don't know what they're like so have no idea if I'm having them. I just know I calm down when I get by the air vent. I'm cold natured so this is all very strange to me.

I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist and see if they can check my hormones. I don't know what to do from there if it does turn out that I'm going through the change. I'm scared to take anything. I was afraid to take a klonopin. I've taken antidepressants before. Never again. HRT comes with risks that I'm not sure I should take. There is cancer in my family and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the risks. I don't really look forward to toughing it out either though. I don't feel like I can call my mother. She's never understood my panic attacks and has been insensitive in the past. She is showing signs of trying to understand but when you're told enough times to chill out or get over it, you tend to be unsure of whether or not you can talk to them without them being judgmental. The only person in real life I talk to about this is my husband. He's been great, supportive, and loving. But as a man, there's only so much he can do. He does keep me calm though.

I'm 45, so I'm the right age. Oh, and after my massive panic and intolerance to heat, I couldn't stop crying. I can handle that better than I can the panicking though. I so cannot wait for the Lord to give me my new body. One that isn't defective and annoying, no more crying, no more dark circles, no more lines, no more gray hair, no more pain.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
And so far I don't like it. I'm back and forth about what it means but right now the fact that I may be doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the symptoms I'm having. If this is indeed the change. I'm on my period right now. A few days ago is when the trouble started. I felt weak in my arms and legs. That's gone on for a few days but seems to have improved today. I felt like my legs were going to give out from under me. I've started having panic attacks as of a couple of months ago, usually around my period. I have a history of them anyway but usually not in a pattern of right around my period. It's normally more consistent than that. We're in a heat wave in the great state of Alabama and I went to urgent care yesterday trying to get a diagnosis. I think my back has been causing the weakness. It was hot in the waiting room. I started having a panic attack, or what I thought was one, right there. I freaked out and told them I need to get back there NOW! It was nice and cold where the exam rooms are. I felt like my forehead was on fire. They took me on back. I wasn't like angry and demanding, I was scared.

I had another episode today. I was fine all day until I went outside to get the trash and recycling bins from the road. My body threw a fit! The air conditioner has not been able to keep up today because it was so oppressively, unbearably hot. It was 81 degrees in my living room. It's still going and I've got the fans on too. Anyway, I have developed an intolerance to heat now. It never bothered me like this before. I am not sure if I have started having hot flashes and it's giving me anxiety or if anxiety is causing hot flashes. Or if I'm having hot flashes. I don't know what they're like so have no idea if I'm having them. I just know I calm down when I get by the air vent. I'm cold natured so this is all very strange to me.

I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist and see if they can check my hormones. I don't know what to do from there if it does turn out that I'm going through the change. I'm scared to take anything. I was afraid to take a klonopin. I've taken antidepressants before. Never again. HRT comes with risks that I'm not sure I should take. There is cancer in my family and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the risks. I don't really look forward to toughing it out either though. I don't feel like I can call my mother. She's never understood my panic attacks and has been insensitive in the past. She is showing signs of trying to understand but when you're told enough times to chill out or get over it, you tend to be unsure of whether or not you can talk to them without them being judgmental. The only person in real life I talk to about this is my husband. He's been great, supportive, and loving. But as a man, there's only so much he can do. He does keep me calm though.

I'm 45, so I'm the right age. Oh, and after my massive panic and intolerance to heat, I couldn't stop crying. I can handle that better than I can the panicking though. I so cannot wait for the Lord to give me my new body. One that isn't defective and annoying, no more crying, no more dark circles, no more lines, no more gray hair, no more pain.
In perimenopause I frequently got a small wave of anxiety....that funny tingling forehead and sometimes in my hands....right before a hot flash. It was so consistent that when it began to happen I would think "here comes another hot flash." Knowing that it was just another hot flash helped break the anxiety cycle.
I kept a small fan by the bed and an ice pack for my forehead for those moments.
I went through it without hormones but many people have had success with bio-identicals. Suzanne Somers is a big proponent of them.
It really sucks, I know :hug
It sounds like your AC needs work. It may just need more freon. It should be able to keep up with the heat better than that.

Mama Bug

This is normal for the ac. It can normally keep up but it’s so hot in the afternoons that it can’t. We actually had someone come out once because we thought something was wrong with it and the repair guy said no, it’s just really hot outside.
My mom tried hormones and one day when she couldn’t find them she went into a rage. She quit taking them after that. She never cried or had the panic attacks. I do both, my sister cries and probably gets mad. I’ve heard that hormones are risky and there is cancer and heart problems in my family history so I probably don’t need to go that route.
I just wish I knew for sure what was going on with me.
My body hates me and I’m not too fond of it either.

Leigh

I'm thinking of going to a gynecologist and see if they can check my hormones. I don't know what to do from there if it does turn out that I'm going through the change. I'm scared to take anything.
Do you already have a gynecologist? When we moved here I decided to look for a female GYN who understands what it's like to be female; I wanted someone who could commiserate with me! I have the kindest, most understanding doctor now and it really makes all the difference to find someone you can trust to discuss your symptoms and concerns & who will take into account your family history before making recommendations.

As Andiamo mentioned, bio-identical hormones are a good option so you might want to inquire, before making an appointment, if the doctor will prescribe those if necessary. (My doctor didn't mention them, but I requested them and she agreed! :) )

Mama Bug

I don’t have one yet. I used to go to the doctor who delivered my son but she moved a few years ago. I definitely want to see a female doctor though. I didn’t used to care but now I want someone who will “get it”. The only man I feel comfortable talking to is my husband. He’s doing a good job taking care of me but he doesn’t have to deal with it so he doesn’t completely understand what I’m going through. He tries though.

RobinB

Sorry this is hitting you so hard. I had false menopause at 43 after taking Tamoxifen for 4 years. I had the hot flashes and all, so when it was time for natural menopause it didn't bother me at all. I'd be leery of taking hormones, since they can contribute to the type of breast cancer I had (due to estrogen.)

Mama Bug

I’m leery of the hormones too. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor. I don’t know what type it was but with cancer being as prevalent as it is on my dad’s side at least, I’m not sure it would be safe. Plus at some point I’d be taken off of them and then what would happen?

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
There's a company called Vitanica I've come across on the net for menopause called, women's phase 1, they also have phase 2.

A friend of mine was really struggling like you are describing and she couldn't recommed this enough as being particulary helpful with her menopause.

I'm sorry for such a tough time. :hug

Accepted

Do you already have a gynecologist? When we moved here I decided to look for a female GYN who understands what it's like to be female; I wanted someone who could commiserate with me! I have the kindest, most understanding doctor now and it really makes all the difference to find someone you can trust to discuss your symptoms and concerns & who will take into account your family history before making recommendations.

As Andiamo mentioned, bio-identical hormones are a good option so you might want to inquire, before making an appointment, if the doctor will prescribe those if necessary. (My doctor didn't mention them, but I requested them and she agreed! :) )
Leigh’s advice about a gynecologist is excellent! To find a sharp woman doctor or Physician’s Assistant (I had a woman P.A. that was a gem) is the challenge. Getting personal recommendations from women you know is a great way to find one, if possible! ❤️

Mama Bug

And my air conditioner froze up, just to add to my stress and anxiety. I called a company we used before and am waiting, at 11:30 at night, for somebody to call me back. I’m trying to not wake my husband. I’m sure he will wake up as it is if he gets hot. And he is hot natured. Hoping and praying somebody will come out soon and it won’t cost an atm and a leg. I hope I don’t get told I need a new system. We can’t afford another bill.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
:pray ing for God's help with this new challenge and for His provisions. :pray

I was going to mention that I had watched a program about the benefits of 20 minutes of intense exercise, like bicycling, running, etc. What came out of this was how this kind of exercise greatly helped with the symptoms of menopause. This might be another useful tool for you. :)

:pray

:hug

Mama Bug

Well, the AC guy just left. It is leaking Freon on the header and possibly the coils. And, the Freon for our system is the old one. After a couple of phone calls with my husband, we decided to get the system replaced. I don’t really want another bill but the payments are doable I think. So I’m not going to freak out. God is looking out for me. We get a new system with a 10 year warranty on the outside unit, 5 year on the inside part, Freon that can actually be found, and a new thermostat. So it was sort of worst case scenario, but not really.

I need to get back into my workout routine. I workout to YouTube videos put out by a lady named Jessica Smith. I used to workout with Jillian Michaels but I hurt my back doing her workouts. My anxiety has gotten so bad that I have been afraid to get up to do much. Me and my body have not been getting along well at all. Plus it’s been so hot that I was afraid I’d get heat stroke in my living room. Sad but true.

Cloud Watcher

I never had any problem with mood swings/emotional reactions. My major problem was hot flashes. I had read an article that said women get hot flashes a few times a day. Hogwash! I had them every 10 minutes. I spent a lot of time standing in front of a fan, even at work. It was always so embarrassing having sweat dripping off my forehead in front of people. I tried Premarin, but it made me too nauseated to function. A patch called Activella worked great until I became allergic to the adhesive. Couldn't bear to have one on more than a few seconds. Made me itch like crazy. To this day, I still get the hot flashes, but fortunately not near as often.

I'm so sorry that you are having such a rough time, Mama Bug. I hope the doctor can find a solution that works for you. :hug:hug:hug

cheeky200386

I'm not looking forward to menopause. My mom is on the end of it and the hot flashes look miserable. She battled those for 5 or more years. She turns bright read and starts sweating profusely. She still has to sleep with an AC and fan blowing in the middle of winter here on New England.

penbrat

I had a total hysterectomy when I was 45 (due to endometriosis) and wham - welcome to surgical menopause. That was 6 years ago and the hot flashes rage on and I can't do estrogen or anything like that due to the endometriosis. I have tried all the over the counter things and none of have helped. I sleep with the window cracked and 2 fans in the winter and am in a relationship with my air conditioner during the summer. The only thing that has helped some is when I take a nice walk after dinner and when I stick to a whole foods (minimally processed) diet - which I do not always do, but when I hit the junk food I pay for it with hot flashes). I have cut way down on caffeine and that seems to help also. It's a process. And what works for one will not work for another necessarily.

fl2007rn

I’m leery of the hormones too. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor.
I don't blame you for not wanting to take hormones because they can cause breast cancer. My older sister had breast cancer after taking them for menopause.
Do you already have a gynecologist? When we moved here I decided to look for a female GYN who understands what it's like to be female
Yes! Make an appt with a female gynecologist to have a check up and talk about your symptoms.
I had another episode today. I was fine all day until I went outside to get the trash and recycling bins from the road. My body threw a fit! The air conditioner has not been able to keep up today because it was so oppressively, unbearably hot. It was 81 degrees in my living room. It's still going and I've got the fans I am not sure if I have started having hot flashes and it's giving me anxiety or if anxiety is causing hot flashes. Or if I'm having hot flashes.
I am 57 years old and I had hot flashes when I went through menopause. I live in hot, humid Florida and I would open the freezer and put my head in quickly to cool down or take cool showers. Luckily my hot flashes only lasted a few years and I dont have them anymore!

Praying for you to get your symptoms to where they are manageable. :pray

Judy4Jesus

God is GOOD!
I am 57 years old and I had hot flashes when I went through menopause. I live in hot, humid Florida and I would open the freezer and put my head in quickly to cool down or take cool showers. Luckily my hot flashes only lasted a few years and I dont have them anymore!

Praying for you to get your symptoms to where they are manageable. :pray
Me too!! :pray:pray
Mama Bug, have you had your thyroid levels checked? Low thyroid numbers have ALOT of the same symptoms as perimenopause. Might be a good idea to have it checked...just a blood test.
Praying you through this rough time! :pray:hug

Mama Bug

I’m at my primary doctor now, waiting to be seen. I seem to have bad anxiety before my chiropractor appointment, then I’m an emotional mess a few hours later. I’m going to tell him everything and ask him to check my blood for everything.
I was at home and all I did was stand up to load the dishwasher. My heart rate shot up for no reason. My husband stayed on the phone with me for over an hour. I had to check my son out of school so we could sit up here for over an hour until my appointment. That’s how bad my panic attack was. I don’t want to get meds but I’m scared I may have to at least for a while. That worries me. I’ve taken an antidepressant before and it turned everything off, all my emotions. I gained weight, and quality time with my husband wasn’t as quality as it should’ve been. Then when I quit taking it, the withdrawal was really bad. I literally wanted to end my life for a day. Only reason that stopped is because of Jesus. I got saved that day. But I still went through horrible withdrawal effects. Cried constantly, had some panic attacks and anxiety , thought I’d never get through it. But I did and I’m afraid I’d be setting myself up to deal with that again. I don’t want to go through that again.