I need help with scripture

Andy C

Short answer, no, once saved you cant lose your salvation. Salvation is not based on our behavior, we recieve salvation by believing that Jesus is God, and we are sinners in need of a Savior, and Jesus is the Savior for all who believe in Him.

John 10:27-29
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

John 6:37
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

John 10:28
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

maryrae

https://gotquestions.org/grieve-quench-Holy-Spirit.html

Question: "What does it mean to grieve / quench the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
When the word “quench” is used in Scripture, it is speaking of suppressing fire. When believers put on the shield of faith, as part of their armor of God (Ephesians 6:16), they are extinguishing the power of the fiery darts from Satan. Christ described hell as a place where the fire would not be “quenched” (Mark 9:44, 46,48). Likewise, the Holy Spirit is a fire dwelling in each believer. He wants to express Himself in our actions and attitudes. When believers do not allow the Spirit to be seen in our actions, when we do what we know is wrong, we suppress or quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19). We do not allow the Spirit to reveal Himself the way that He wants to.

To understand what it means to grieve the Spirit, we must first understand that this indicates the Spirit possesses personality. Only a person can be grieved; therefore, the Spirit must be a divine person in order to have this emotion. Once we understand this, we can better understand how He is grieved, mainly because we too are grieved. Ephesians 4:30 tells us that we should not grieve the Spirit. We grieve the Spirit by living like the pagans (4:17-19), by lying (4:25), by being angry (4:26-27), by stealing (4:28), by cursing (4:29), by being bitter (4:31), by being unforgiving (4:32), and by being sexually immoral (5:3-5). To grieve the Spirit is to act out in a sinful manner, whether it is in thought only or in both thought and deed.

Both quenching and grieving the Spirit are similar in their effects. Both hinder a godly lifestyle. Both happen when a believer sins against God and follows his or her own worldly desires. The only correct road to follow is the road that leads the believer closer to God and purity, and farther away from the world and sin. Just as we do not like to be grieved, and just as we do not seek to quench what is good—so we should not grieve or quench the Holy Spirit by refusing to follow His leading.

I hope this helps shed some light on your question, Ohioan. I would say that grieving and quenching are far, FAR, different than the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which no believer would ever do.
The Holy Spirit is God, and we know that Scripture states our Father loves and chastens us for our good, like a loving, earthly father does for his children. I gather from Scripture that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit until our full redemption is accomplished at the Rapture/Resurrection. So, while we cause our Father grief at times, He knows we are mere, frail, fallen beings and will discipline and train out of us that which is not pleasing to Him...but He will never disown us.

Hol

Worships Him
If we grieve the Holy Spirit then that is because He dwells in us. If He dwells in us that is because we are sealed. If we are sealed, then we cannot lose our salvation. The scriptures that Andy posted above provide the necessary confirmation.
Thank you Andrew -- what a great Comforter He is. Despite issues with me, myself, & I, the reality of His unbreakable seal draws me back to His Word. Even my own dear parents were not as able to forgive & correct.

Michael Ross

https://gotquestions.org/grieve-quench-Holy-Spirit.html

Question: "What does it mean to grieve / quench the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:
When the word “quench” is used in Scripture, it is speaking of suppressing fire. When believers put on the shield of faith, as part of their armor of God (Ephesians 6:16), they are extinguishing the power of the fiery darts from Satan. Christ described hell as a place where the fire would not be “quenched” (Mark 9:44, 46,48). Likewise, the Holy Spirit is a fire dwelling in each believer. He wants to express Himself in our actions and attitudes. When believers do not allow the Spirit to be seen in our actions, when we do what we know is wrong, we suppress or quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19). We do not allow the Spirit to reveal Himself the way that He wants to.

To understand what it means to grieve the Spirit, we must first understand that this indicates the Spirit possesses personality. Only a person can be grieved; therefore, the Spirit must be a divine person in order to have this emotion. Once we understand this, we can better understand how He is grieved, mainly because we too are grieved. Ephesians 4:30 tells us that we should not grieve the Spirit. We grieve the Spirit by living like the pagans (4:17-19), by lying (4:25), by being angry (4:26-27), by stealing (4:28), by cursing (4:29), by being bitter (4:31), by being unforgiving (4:32), and by being sexually immoral (5:3-5). To grieve the Spirit is to act out in a sinful manner, whether it is in thought only or in both thought and deed.

Both quenching and grieving the Spirit are similar in their effects. Both hinder a godly lifestyle. Both happen when a believer sins against God and follows his or her own worldly desires. The only correct road to follow is the road that leads the believer closer to God and purity, and farther away from the world and sin. Just as we do not like to be grieved, and just as we do not seek to quench what is good—so we should not grieve or quench the Holy Spirit by refusing to follow His leading.

I hope this helps shed some light on your question, Ohioan. I would say that grieving and quenching are far, FAR, different than the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which no believer would ever do.
The Holy Spirit is God, and we know that Scripture states our Father loves and chastens us for our good, like a loving, earthly father does for his children. I gather from Scripture that we are sealed by the Holy Spirit until our full redemption is accomplished at the Rapture/Resurrection. So, while we cause our Father grief at times, He knows we are mere, frail, fallen beings and will discipline and train out of us that which is not pleasing to Him...but He will never disown us.
What a Fantastic post....!!!!..... Thank you so VERY much maryrae..!!!
Your words are of truth and they helped me tremendously.... I enjoyed and learned very much from them... Thank you.

God Bless You...... :amen

maryrae

What a Fantastic post....!!!!..... Thank you so VERY much maryrae..!!!
Your words are of truth and they helped me tremendously.... I enjoyed and learned very much from them... Thank you.

God Bless You...... :amen
I cannot take credit for most of it. Thanks go out to those who run the GotQuestions website. My only contribution is the very last paragraph in my post.

Ohioan

Forgive me once again, but I ran across this while reading, If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. 1 Corinthians 3:17.
I have to ask as this verse is troubling me also, now that I have read it.Can a believer lose his salvation? Once again thanks for responses. Chris, anyone?

Last edited:

Andrew

Well known member
1 Corinthians 3:17 (KJV)
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are.

Commentary
Matthew Henry Commentary3:16,17 From other parts of the epistle, it appears that the false teachers among the Corinthians taught unholy doctrines. Such teaching tended to corrupt, to pollute, and destroy the building, which should be kept pure and holy for God. Those who spread loose principles, which render the church of God unholy, bring destruction upon themselves. Christ by his Spirit dwells in all true believers. Christians are holy by profession, and should be pure and clean, both in heart and conversation. He is deceived who deems himself the temple of the Holy Ghost, yet is unconcerned about personal holiness, or the peace and purity of the church.
1 Corinthians 3:17 Commentaries

twit

If it said...if any man defile the temple of God, God will take away his salvation - I'd be worried myself. Thankfully it doesn't say that. Even if God destroys me I'm assured my soul will go to Heaven. I'm assured simply because I believe that Jesus fully satisfied the holy demands of God regarding sin at Calvary. Faith needs foundation to build upon, understanding exactly what the Lord jesus accomplished at Calvary is the best foundation stone to learn and read about. I doubt there would be any worry remain in believers after fully grasping this wonderful truth.