I Just Had a Disturbing Encounter

biblegirl

I went to two estate sales in my neighborhood this morning thinking it would be a relaxing way to spend my Saturday. At the second estate sale, there was a man talking with the lady taking cash for the sale. As I was looking around, he began to loudly run down everything he could about Christians and Christianity. He talked about our 'wicked' Christian Police Chief and the Bible believing Baptist Church the Chief belongs to. He talked about the belief that a person could be saved by believing in Jesus, then (in his words) go out and commit all kinds of horrible sins, yet still be saved. He obviously understood the gospel, yet rejected it and called it evil. He especially railed against the fact that Christians were 'indoctrinating' children with these beliefs. He then proceeded to say that Christians are dangerous, and have killed more people in history than any other group. At that point, I couldn't hold my tongue any longer. I spoke up and said that his statement was untrue. He looked a bit taken aback and said that he knew it was true because he is a 'theologian'. I answered that he might be a theologian, but that I was a Christian and knew the word of God. I explained that yes, some had falsely claimed the name of Jesus to commit awful crimes, but that the Bible never condoned such things, and that true Christians would not slaughter innocent people. I also told him that it bothered me to hear Jesus and His followers smeared with lies. He backed off at that point and I went on my way. Last I heard he was snickering to the lady who was taking cash about getting himself into trouble.

I guess I still feel a bit shaky about the whole episode. He seemed satanically inspired. It bothered me that he knew truths about salvation and God's word, yet labeled God's truth as evil. I don't know if I responded as well as I would have liked- the whole situation caught me totally off guard. The lady cashier he was talking with was obviously not a Christian herself, she just smiled and affirmed the things he was saying. I think this man is willfully set against God, but I am concerned about the woman. I can only pray that God will reach past the lies that she heard open her eyes to His truth. It truly felt like intense spiritual warfare. It was a good reminder to me to put on the spiritual armor daily- you just never know who or what you will encounter in the most mundane situations.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I guess I still feel a bit shaky about the whole episode. He seemed satanically inspired. It bothered me that he knew truths about salvation and God's word, yet labeled God's truth as evil.
There are some "atheists" who will flat out tell you, that even if God showed them He was real, they still would not worship Him....because they won't worship a God who "lets all the injustice and evil happen in the world."

They basically admit they know there's a God but they don't find Him worthy of worship. They say a lot of things that incriminate themselves but are too blind or hard hearted to see what they're putting out there.

YallNeedJesus

I highlighted the entire book of Romans
I went to two estate sales in my neighborhood this morning thinking it would be a relaxing way to spend my Saturday. At the second estate sale, there was a man talking with the lady taking cash for the sale. As I was looking around, he began to loudly run down everything he could about Christians and Christianity. He talked about our 'wicked' Christian Police Chief and the Bible believing Baptist Church the Chief belongs to. He talked about the belief that a person could be saved by believing in Jesus, then (in his words) go out and commit all kinds of horrible sins, yet still be saved. He obviously understood the gospel, yet rejected it and called it evil. He especially railed against the fact that Christians were 'indoctrinating' children with these beliefs. He then proceeded to say that Christians are dangerous, and have killed more people in history than any other group. At that point, I couldn't hold my tongue any longer. I spoke up and said that his statement was untrue. He looked a bit taken aback and said that he knew it was true because he is a 'theologian'. I answered that he might be a theologian, but that I was a Christian and knew the word of God. I explained that yes, some had falsely claimed the name of Jesus to commit awful crimes, but that the Bible never condoned such things, and that true Christians would not slaughter innocent people. I also told him that it bothered me to hear Jesus and His followers smeared with lies. He backed off at that point and I went on my way. Last I heard he was snickering to the lady who was taking cash about getting himself into trouble.

I guess I still feel a bit shaky about the whole episode. He seemed satanically inspired. It bothered me that he knew truths about salvation and God's word, yet labeled God's truth as evil. I don't know if I responded as well as I would have liked- the whole situation caught me totally off guard. The lady cashier he was talking with was obviously not a Christian herself, she just smiled and affirmed the things he was saying. I think this man is willfully set against God, but I am concerned about the woman. I can only pray that God will reach past the lies that she heard open her eyes to His truth. It truly felt like intense spiritual warfare. It was a good reminder to me to put on the spiritual armor daily- you just never know who or what you will encounter in the most mundane situations.
Great job speaking up.

Accepted

You did great!! What a wonderful thing for the woman taking cash to hear those lies disputed! Sometimes all it takes is a disruption of the lies!

I think you can rest in the knowledge that you let the Lord use you today! :hug

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I admire your courage in saying something! I am always too shy and not bold enough in public situations. You did really well.
:hug

I used to be that way. Little by little God very patiently helped me (over the course of time and with newer situations) to have courage. Even now at times I'm nervous but choosing to trust God.

I think every christian struggles at times to be brave. :hug

:pray

biblegirl

Thank you all for the supportive words. I always second guess myself and wonder if I could have done something differently. I do believe God helped me know what to say, and strangely enough, as soon as I had my say, there was a very different atmosphere in the room. The man went from being malicious and aggressive to quiet and subdued. I attribute that to God as well.

Batman

I agree that you did well. This happened to me 10 or 15 years ago at a NKC drug store near the photo and greeting card section. The loud mouth was awful to listen to about God, Christianity, and his Christian mother. As I was walking back to him to provide proper instruction on theology, the Bible, the truth, and how much of a loudmouth and bully he was to act that way to his family and anyone at the store at that time, he left and I never saw him again. This kind of rage and hatred against God, Christians, and Jews is likely very widespread.

Randy - Saved by Grace

Good for you for speaking up and defending the faith.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

Good on you for defending Jesus, people like that do a lot of damage or dissuade people from coming to Christ because of people like this creating a herd mentality

pixelpusher

There are some "atheists" who will flat out tell you, that even if God showed them He was real, they still would not worship Him....because they won't worship a God who "lets all the injustice and evil happen in the world."

They basically admit they know there's a God but they don't find Him worthy of worship. They say a lot of things that incriminate themselves but are too blind or hard hearted to see what they're putting out there.
Great work, Biblegirl!

For these kinds of protestations, its good to remind them that while it is true we have evil and injustice and sickness, and "bad things happening to 'good' people", this is not how God intended for the world to be. He may have foreknown it would work out like this, but that is why He also prepared the way out, believe on the One He sent. In the end, He will restore it.

What do they call that, "continuity bias"? I think there's a diff term. The belief that things have always gone on the way they do today, and always will.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
Thank you all for the supportive words. I always second guess myself and wonder if I could have done something differently. I do believe God helped me know what to say, and strangely enough, as soon as I had my say, there was a very different atmosphere in the room. The man went from being malicious and aggressive to quiet and subdued. I attribute that to God as well.
You did a great job on His behalf! :fish

Wings Like Eagles

You did very well. Hopefully, the woman at the cash was not buying his lies.