I have come into possession of a can of Corned Beef Hash.

The Saint

I have deliveries from my grocery store and I allow substitutes when something is out. This is what I got. OK I will work with it.
BUT>
when I was a kid I ate some for dinner and hated it. I sat at the table for 3 hours until I finished dinner. (Yes I was one of those kids)
So all my adult life I avoided Corned Beef Hash because of a childhood trauma. I won't eat peas to this day either.

I know my tastes have changed...I love broccoli. I don't like cauliflower and I can eat it when served without having to jerk my head back to swallow.

my question. Maybe it is not all that bad. Is there anyway to fix Who Hash to where it might taste good? does it just need salt and pepper?
shredded cheese?
how do you fix Corned Beef Hash?

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
There is a local mom/pop cafe nearby and they serve it for breakfast with 2 eggs your choice, my wife likes it but I have never tasted it, I'm a steak/eggs guy if out for breakfast. At home most mornings I have a good size bowl of old fashion Quaker oatmeal, a box of raisins thrown in with some honey and milk and then i down a yogurt.

alisani

I have deliveries from my grocery store and I allow substitutes when something is out. This is what I got. OK I will work with it.
BUT>
when I was a kid I ate some for dinner and hated it. I sat at the table for 3 hours until I finished dinner. (Yes I was one of those kids)
So all my adult life I avoided Corned Beef Hash because of a childhood trauma. I won't eat peas to this day either.

I know my tastes have changed...I love broccoli. I don't like cauliflower and I can eat it when served without having to jerk my head back to swallow.

my question. Maybe it is not all that bad. Is there anyway to fix Who Hash to where it might taste good? does it just need salt and pepper?
shredded cheese?
Get yourself some taters cut fine ala hashbrowns or country fried. Get them going in the skillet and an oil of your choice, add onions and garlic if you like and cook til taters are almost done. Crumble that corned beef and add it in. Salt, pepper season to taste. Some fresh herbs would be good if you got em like thyme, parsley, etc. Fried eggs on top or however you like your eggs. I would also recommend adding veggies you might like-diced carrots, peas, even tomatoes. They and the richness from the eggs will help offset the canned taste of the hash.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
BUT>

shredded cheese?

It's quite salty without adding more salt, and I'm the type who salts his food before tasting it. I like to cook it in a fry pan until it's well done and then I dump it onto a plate and put a couple of eggs either over easy or sunny side up on top of it. I do salt and pepper the eggs a bit. The combination of eggs and corned beef hash is tasty, at least it is to me.

A couple of years ago I found two pretty good sized boxes full of corned beef hash addressed to me from Wal*Mart on our porch. I didn't order it and I sure don't know anyone who would have. Thankfully I like the stuff. I checked several times to see if Wal*Mart billed me for it but they didn't. Maybe it was a gag gift, but if it was, the gift giver never came forward.

Ani Lo Calah

My mom used to make "hash" a lot when I was growing up, but never the canned stuff, it was always made from leftover corned beef brisket. She would boil some peeled potatoes, then dice them. Into a frying pan they went then added in the finely chopped (almost shredded), corned beef. Her "secret" sauce to bind it all together was....ketchup, lots of ketchup. And probably some salt & pepper too. Not sure if she put diced onion in or not. Also, a tad bit of Worcester sauce may have been added. All I know is that it was delicious! Thanks for the memories, I haven't had it in years.

kathymendel

BUT>

shredded cheese?
LOL. My youngest daughter is pushing 50 and still will not eat peas!!! Made me laugh..........

When I was growing up, my mom would take a can of corned beef hash and roll it up in dough in a spiral and then slice it into pieces, and bake
it in the oven...............she then added a slice of American cheese to the top, and topped the whole dish with cream of mushroom soup.
undiluted, I believe.........put it back in the oven to melt and heat through. I would imagine you could do the same, using refrigerated crescent rolls
to make it easy. It wasn't bad at all..................just different.

(NO, I don't mean she put the can in!!!) :lol

RobinB

LOL. My youngest daughter is pushing 50 and still will not eat peas!!! Made me laugh..........

When I was growing up, my mom would take a can of corned beef hash and roll it up in dough in a spiral and then slice it into pieces, and bake
it in the oven...............she then added a slice of American cheese to the top, and topped the whole dish with cream of mushroom soup.
undiluted, I believe.........put it back in the oven to melt and heat through. I would imagine you could do the same, using refrigerated crescent rolls

also past 50 and will not, could not, should not, just plain won't eat peas. :furious

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Like making cinnamon rolls where the corned beef is the cinnamon and the american cheese is the glaze?

kathymendel

Yes...............W4P.............just like that. The cheese goes on top of the rolls once the biscuits are kinda baked a bit. And, the Mushroom soup over it all.
Then finish baking in the oven until the soup is heated thru and the cheese melted .......... probably another 10 minutes.

Take a bag of hashbrowns with the red and green peppers in them( can be found in frozen foods) thaw those and smash those with beef and a bag of sharp chedder cheese into a caserole pan. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake at 350 until bubbling. Scoop out a helping and add a dab of sour cream.

BUT>

shredded cheese?
Take some taters and fry them up. Salt and pepper to taste. Take some bacon and fry it up, and fry some eggs too. Make some toast with lots of butter, put everything on the plate and feast. That will provide energy to go and do what must be done: Take the corny beef down to the shelter, someone will eat it. :D