I have been struggling with thinking anyone actually goes to hell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I don't really have a habit of "doubting" this, but lately I have been thinking, I wonder if anyone is really going to hell? Surely most of the world is not going to hell. Or God is not going to put anyone in hell "forever."

I know all the scriptures, I don't know why I am doubting them. Maybe because I see a lot of "nice" people out there who don't profess Christ but seem like they mean well for everyone.... I don't know what it is?? :scratch

I am not at all saying hell is unjust or God is not righteous to have a place like hell. I don't even struggle with thinking demons or Satan will eventually reside there.

Maybe it is a common teaching that there is no such thing as everlasting hell? Why are these doubts so prevalent recently? :doh

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
God's justice is perfect. His Word is perfect and is best studied for what it says and not for what we might want it to say. The path that Believers are on is the narrow path. The way of the world is the path that the majority of people are on. There is evidence of God everywhere, yet the majority reject God at every turn. None of us are innocent. We are all guilty. Some of us have received a pardon simply for accepting the gift that God offers to everyone. Most reject and will reject the gift.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Part of the doubting may stem from something *similar* to another thread, in that it is often said that many (most?) of us come to Him through suffering, which causes us to reach out/seek to Him. That seems to infer that in much of the carefree/material or relational blessings many have in life they are less inclined to reach out or seek a God for [think] they have all they need.
And if they were heading for hell that God would allow some sort of loss of blessings or sufferings to jar their attention so they will seek Him. And since He doesn't do this with many them but allows them to bask in their material/familial blessings for the majority of their life, they are not really heading to hell, or He would do some drastic things that He does with others.

I would like my mind set straight. I guess my thinking is confuddled.

cheeky200386

Most people end up in hell, and they deserve every second of torment God sends their way. You might not like it but you'd better learn to accept it.
That's true, we all deserve hell. Thank God he offered his son as a sacrifice for our sins. Sadly most will reject that gift because they don't want to believe. They love their sin and think they are ok by what they do.

Pat

Part of the doubting may stem from something *similar* to another thread, in that it is often said that many (most?) of us come to Him through suffering, which causes us to reach out/seek to Him. That seems to infer that in much of the carefree/material or relational blessings many have in life they are less inclined to reach out or seek a God for [think] they have all they need.
And if they were heading for hell that God would allow some sort of loss of blessings or sufferings to jar their attention so they will seek Him. And since He doesn't do this with many them but allows them to bask in their material/familial blessings for the majority of their life, they are not really heading to hell, or He would do some drastic things that He does with others.

It is better to not fully understand God or His ways or His Word but believe Him anyway, than to listen to and believe human reasonings that appeal to our flesh but cause confusion because they conflict with the Word of God. God is not willing that any should perish (2Peter3:9) yet allows mankind to choose to believe or not believe the Gospel. Trust in His Word. Ask Him for understanding. Rest in believing. ...rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; (2Thes.1:7,8) Blessings in your search.

greg64

It's a tough subject, and I think sometimes we make it tougher by trying to understand. In my mind, I can understand the concept of hell (or really, the Lake of Fire when we're talking forever and ever). But I can't really understand the reality of it -- thankfully, or I'd probably go mad. We do know from scripture that there will be degrees of punishment, but it's still all really, really bad -- as in shoving a life-saving gift from God at great cost to Himself back in His face bad, and then making light of it and turning to things that will instead lead to destruction. The ultimate in unrequited love, I guess.

I'm going through some struggles that have some similarities but are not really the same that are really doing a number on me -- maybe at some point I'll pull it together enough to post about it -- there's a recent thread that is appropriate for that, but I'm just not there yet and need time to put it in words...

Anyway, praying that God would lead us all through those areas we can't really understand but just have to trust His word on. And for Him to lead us in whatever change is necessary.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
It's a tough subject, and I think sometimes we make it tougher by trying to understand. In my mind, I can understand the concept of hell (or really, the Lake of Fire when we're talking forever and ever). But I can't really understand the reality of it -- thankfully, or I'd probably go mad. We do know from scripture that there will be degrees of punishment, but it's still all really, really bad -- as in shoving a life-saving gift from God at great cost to Himself back in His face bad, and then making light of it and turning to things that will instead lead to destruction. The ultimate in unrequited love, I guess.
Thanks Greg I appreciate the input. I agree with what you say that the concept is easy to grasp, but the 'reality' is not really comprehensible.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I have no problem believing in hell. I deserve it. I look at my life, and I sin every day. Usually it's hidden inside where no one can see my trespasses against God. But He sees it, and knows. I see it and I know. Things aren't right between us unless I repent daily.

People would probably say I'm a good person. They would be wrong. I know the truth. Without His sacrifice, His grace towards me, and His forgiveness, I would be going to hell.

I am an average person, and I am God-blessed because I know that I'm not going to hell, despite breaking God's law. How many "good" people out there are actively refusing His grace because of pride? The majority of people are going to hell. It will be tragic and it will be final. That's why it's so important to do what we can of the work God has given us now. Because this time of grace won't last forever and judgement is coming, whether it's the great tribulation or death.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus

I think there are several things that can very much encroach on those who 'seem' blessed without any care in the world. God does not leave humanity without a witness of Him and it's up to each person to make a choice to respond to His witnessing. There's the conscience which alerts people to wrong intentions of the heart/behavior, the falleness of this world which does affect people, whether it's personal (like stealing even if no supposed need) or witnessing the fallnesses in others (like an illness with a loved one) or the birthpangs that clearly communicate that things are just not right in this world (like 9/11 or hurricanes), and the creation of the world that witnesses to people that there is a Creator.

Then there's the Holy Spirit, working in the world to convict people of their sin, make known Gods righteousness and grave danger of an eternal separation from God in hell to those who refuse to believe in Jesus Christ:

But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me. John 16:7-9

With that being said, I think that God can use various ways to draw people. Either through allowed hardship or through God's goodness. I know of a woman who was simply walking in the country of China and was observing the creation around her. She had been diligently taught that the government was her source of provisions and had never even heard the concept of God at all. And yet, as she looked around the beauty of God's creation, enjoying it, and it spoke to her abundantly of a Creator.

At that time she said what she now knows is a prayer, asking if that if there was a creator that He would make Himself known to her. THE next day a missionary 'happened' to show up with bibles and the message of the Good News. Because of this missionary she learned more about God and the Gospel. She repented of her sins and accepted Jesus as her Savior that day. So, I think in this situation it was the goodness of God (in the context of a difficult place to live) that drew this woman to Christ.

RonJohnSilver

There are some concepts that we humans just can't mentally conceive. Hell is one. Try to get your head around eternity. Everything we know or have ever known or can conceive of has an end. The end may be years away but, to everything we know there is an end. Not Hell or Heaven. I have that problem. I don't deny Hell/Heaven or any of our standard beliefs, but I cannot get my head around it. It is just too ... everything. I have no problem imagining Heaven but Hell is a different matter. Eternal judgment, eternal suffering, eternal, everlasting, forever, no end, no respite ever, even for a second. If there is any change, it is for the worse. And, in my imaginings of Hell, the worst part is that the sufferer is able to see and hear those in Heaven. Now, that's my imagining but that would be the worst for me, seeing and knowing that Heaven/God was available to me and I chose wrongly. Hell is just inconceivable. It does, however, motivate me to pray everyday, share when I can and stay in the Bible.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member

Don't forget- our Creator knows us intimately. He sees our heart and He knows the end from the beginning. He also knows that what works for one doesn't work for another. Just because trials and tribulations draw some closer, doesn't mean that it doesn't drive away others. In the Bible, you could say that Pharoah had trials and tribulations when Moses announced God's plagues on Egypt. It didn't exactly draw Pharoah closer to God. The Bible says that he hardened his heart against God. Repeatedly.

Maybe God doesn't bother with some people because, as hard as this is to accept, He has called them, over and over again, and they've rejected Him each time. He knows that they are going to continue to reject Him. Why torture someone that won't ever turn? Give them their best life now. This might be the only mercy His justice can offer them.

Lynn

Longing for Home
. . .Don't know where the doubts, seem to come from nowhere. :ohno

Most likely from the Father of Lies whispering in your ear.
I agree, Dave. Whenever we're tempted to doubt 'anything' in God's Word, the source of that temptation is 'always' the same one who asked Eve, "Did God really say that?"
Whenever I'm tempted to question the truths of Scripture, I put on the whole armor of God and then ask Him to please help me to believe what He's saying in His Word.

Wings Like Eagles

I don't really have a habit of "doubting" this, but lately I have been thinking, I wonder if anyone is really going to hell? Surely most of the world is not going to hell. Or God is not going to put anyone in hell "forever."

I know all the scriptures, I don't know why I am doubting them. Maybe because I see a lot of "nice" people out there who don't profess Christ but seem like they mean well for everyone.... I don't know what it is?? :scratch

I am not at all saying hell is unjust or God is not righteous to have a place like hell. I don't even struggle with thinking demons or Satan will eventually reside there.

Maybe it is a common teaching that there is no such thing as everlasting hell? Why are these doubts so prevalent recently? :doh
I think it is important to remember why people will be going to condemnation in the Final Judgment. They go there because of their sins, which have not been done away by the Blood of Jesus. They have refused the grace that God freely offers to all who will humble themselves before Him and accept the gift of His grace, through faith.

Going to "the place of punishment" in Hades is apparently temporary (see the confinement of the "rich man" in Luke 16) where one can see it plainly explained by Jesus. There are three words that apply to the place where the rich man and Lazarus are seen in Jesus' parable--in both Hebrew and Greek (the Jews had been using the Greek Septuagint--the translation of the Old Testament into Greek--in Jesus' day). The Hebrew term, sheol merely means, "the place of the dead" which was divided into two parts, Paradise (also, "the bosom of Abraham"), for the righteous dead. The unrighteous dead, went to "the place of torment." There was an unbridgeable gap between the two sides to which Abraham makes reference in Jesus' parable. Hades was the Greek equivalent to sheol--the place of the dead. The Greek term referencing the place of punishment was tartarus . What is a point of confusion is that our English Bibles translate all, including Gehenna (the Lake of Fire) as "hell". But that may not have been correct for the English translators to lump them all together.

The Final Judgment will lead to "the Second Death" in the Lake of Fire (Gehenna). There, the inhabitants will apparently die forever. We cannot imagine such a place, but that doesn't mean that it could not exist. As far as I'm aware (and I would be grateful to anyone who could point to Scripture that would contradict), the only beings who are specifically mentioned as going to the Lake of Fire to be tormented forever are: the Antichrist, the False Prophet, those who take the Mark of the Beast and Satan himself. It could well be that others are merely sent to be destroyed in Gehenna, as Jesus implied, when He admonished His hearers to "...fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell (Matthew 10:28). This would not be "annihilationism" (i.e. the belief that all who go to the Lake of Fire are obliterated) but rather, that some--the merely human--would cease to exist. Those on the other side of the argument insist that souls are immortal and therefore, that all souls sent to Gehenna would be tormented there forever.

Last edited:

pixelpusher

He that believeth in Him is not condemned; but He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:18

Our default destination is Hell. It's not what God intended, but there it is.

Like J Vernon McGee would say, "If you knew me like I know myself, you wouldn't want to listen to me. But hold on friend, if I knew you like you know yourself, I wouldn't want to talk to you!"

I think pride is a huge stumbling block. People want to do something, commit something, be "good". But there's nothing we can do or commit to Him, it's all filthy. He is HOLY!

Lovin Jesus

Hell does exist. The dead unbeliever is in a part of hell that's like a holding place, likened to death row, until Judgement day then cast into the Lake of Fire. I am posting a link to explain this below.

God created hell for satan and the rebellious angels who followed him Without hope for redemption. Jesus included unbelievers destined to go hell..
God made redemption possible for humans who believe in Jesus.

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;"
2 Peter 2:4.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Matthew 25:41

The Eternal State: Hades and Hell​

https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-study/the-eternal-state-hades-and-hell/

Also, if you wonder about those who died before Jesus came and died on the cross, here's another article on that.

WHAT HAPPENED TO PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THE CROSS?​

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/what-happened-to-people-who-died-before-the-cross/

Status
Not open for further replies.