I dont like christian music anymore

Discussion in 'Christian Chat' started by christ4ever777, Feb 10, 2019.

1. christ4ever777

christ4ever777 Well-Known Member

I been listening to alot of secular music and its alot more original and creative than christian music. Why is that? Why does most christian music seem so unispired, unoriginal and uncreative compared to their secular counterparts? Is the christian audience that small?

pixelpusher, Círeth and Andy C like this.
  2. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

Could it just be personal preference? Or maybe it is the quality of the sound studios that makes the difference?

3. christ4ever777

christ4ever777 Well-Known Member

True!

pixelpusher, Círeth and ShilohRose like this.
  4. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

My guess is it’s the people who sign artists. They go for that homogeneous sound that appeals to the widest audience. Makes them more money. It’s a specific set of chords and chord progressions, which is why it all sounds the same. For instance, my husband and I despise I Can Only Imagine, but we know so many people who love it.

A year ago I was having a rough day and turned on the Christian music channel for comfort. What a waste of time. It was song after song on power and overcoming. I needed comfort.

I love The Newsboys and Dc Talk.

pixelpusher, Círeth, Kem and 2 others like this.
  5. Jan51

Jan51 Well-Known Member

Most Christian music today is written and performed by Christians who are not very old/mature in the Christian life. Also, they write/perform not purely for church, but for entertainment and monetary considerations. Doctrine divides, so it is short on doctrine (Bible). Hence, much shallow music. Many of the hymns are written by mature believers, hence the depth of much of the message. Also, many were put to themes of classical music--music of the masters.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I never had a thing for modern "Christian Music" either, and it is not because I disagree with the idea of applying modern instruments to try and celebrate and glorify The Lord. Even some stuff I have liked in the past (like a few hits from "Jars of Clay" just seem awkward and out of place to me).

I've heard a lot of old timey preachers say such stuff is of the devil because... well because why? Drums, electric guitars?

Nah, for me, it just doesn't resonate in an eternal sense.

But if anyone is uplifted by modern Christian music, then by all means they are blessed and we should all be so fortunate.

7. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I believe there's a tradition among Country & Western artists who are Christians to tithe their music to the Lord, meaning that approx one of ten songs are for Him. They're a niche of their own but I've often especially liked a lot of those songs. I haven't listened to much of any music in a very long time so I can't give examples.

8. sherry lowery

sherry lowery New Member

the only thing about my Church that I do not like is the music. We have a young pastor and it's all new music, one verse maybe 4, 5 words repeated over and over. Never any of the old hymns that folks my age like. It's almost enough to make me move to another church. That is such a shallow reason to leave a church that I have been a member of for 8 years. Am I awful for feeling this way?

9. ozaprah

ozaprah Well-Known Member

Why? Our hearts and mind will desire what we feed it. Maybe it's time for a 'fasting' from it for a while?

pixelpusher, Círeth, Lynn and 5 others like this.
  10. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

Not at all. True worship of God is not the mantra-like repetition of a few words over and over. If a church does not provide sound worship, preaching, teaching, and fellowship, it is not worth attending. Nothing shallow about that-- worship is as important as preaching.

11. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Just purely speculation on my part, I just think when we get to our real home with our Lord, we will not have to listen to rock music, no heavy metal, no rap type secular music, no chanting and repeating like so many songs you hear on the radio. We left a church with a very young pastor who gave pretty good sermons and calls to come to Christ and be forgiven, but the music was like ACDC heavy metal and so loud you needed hearing protection, the old hymns are so good, full of truth and can touch a soul in a positive light.

pixelpusher, Círeth, lenraff and 9 others like this.
  12. TrustinHim

TrustinHim Member

I once attended a church that sang repetitious lyrics in an apparent way to get a word of prophecy or something. I felt that this was not scriptural and left that church, it seemed like a ritual akin to rubbing a lamp in fables. I still don't care for modern Christian music for lack of melody? Musical structure? But if others are inspired by it that's fine.

13. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

The purpose of repetitious music is to promote an altered state of mind, a mystic practice of letting go of self-control to another spirit. (Hinduism) This has been adopted in every Pentecostal/Charismatic/Evangelical church in the world. It is satanic and occult and many, maybe even most of the current breed of cemetery graduates are clueless to it's roots. The purpose of music in the church or assembly was to corporately worship our God in unity of THE Spirit , not the mindless unity of man's spirit. If this occult practice is going on in your church, RUN, it's just the tip of the apostate iceberg.
    As Pentecostals from the hippie era ( A period of dissolution and searching for truth) who were rescued from the Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll culture, we abhor the doors of the church swung open to the enemy. As a result we have taken to the streets years ago sharing Solo Scriptura. We are churchless excepting the invisible one to which we remain faithful, Thank You Jesus.

pixelpusher, Círeth, Lynn and 5 others like this.
  14. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

Because CCM is Satanic. There's nothing to debate about it, just do the research. There are plenty of sources both Christian and secular to provide the roots of this abomination as well as show the lack of godliness of the so-called artists and the industry in general. Amy Grant, the star and perfect example of the genre(One of Very many counterfeit Christians) . There's too much information to share here, just Google it. It's obvious. See my other comment on this subject.

Círeth and Lynn like this.
  15. Patiently...

Patiently... Well-Known Member

Often a hymn will come to my mind whenever I need help or encouragement or if I'm happy and feeling blessed!
    I feel that God talks to me through these wonderful songs. Often times I'll have one running through my mind and when I really pay attention to the words it is just what I needed.

Círeth, lenraff, Kerbluey and 4 others like this.
  16. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Years ago I picked up a couple old hymn books at a garage sale, one of the books gives details about each hymn, info on when written ,about the writer and their life, where they went to school, seminary, where they preached, etc, interesting info.

Círeth, Lynn, Jan51 and 3 others like this.
  17. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

That’s fascinating! I’d love to find that book.

18. Jan51

Jan51 Well-Known Member

Compare today's shallow and repetitious lyrics to this very deep hymn of 1845, so relevant to today's believers, and even more so for the tribulation saints. To listen to the haunting melody,

(And if you keep listening and it switches to the next hymn, that one is deep and beautiful also: If You but Trust in God to Guide You)

Once to Every Man and Nation

1 Once to ev'ry man and nation
    Comes the moment to decide,
    In the strife of truth and falsehood,
    For the good or evil side;
    Some great cause, some great decision,
    Off'ring each the bloom or blight,
    And the choice goes by forever
    'Twixt that darkness and that light.

2 Then to side with truth is noble,
    When we share her wretched crust,
    Ere her cause bring fame and profit,
    And 'tis prosperous to be just;
    Then it is the brave man chooses
    While the coward stands aside.
    Till the multitude make virtue
    Of the faith they had denied.

3 By the light of burning martyrs,
    Christ, Thy bleeding feet we track,
    Toiling up new Calv'ries ever
    With the cross that turns not back;
    New occasions teach new duties,
    Ancient values test our youth;
    They must upward still and onward,
    Who would keep abreast of truth.

4 Tho' the cause of evil prosper,
    Yet the truth alone is strong;
    Tho' her portion be the scaffold,
    And upon the throne be wrong;
    Yet that scaffold sways the future,
    And, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow,
    Keeping watch above His own.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  19. Psalm37v4

Psalm37v4 Active Member

A lot of "today's Christian music" is shallow. Many artists won't mention the Lord's name, but will use "love" so that they can appeal to a broader audience. Also, there are several artists (Matthew West, Danny Gokey, Tobymac, etc.) who are clearly into either WOF or the Purpose Driven nonsense and their songs reflect it. I prefer the older "classic" Christian music from the 80s & 90s. There was a more powerful message then. Artists like Michele Pillar, DeGarmo & Key, Twila Paris, Steve Camp, Scott Wesley Brown, etc. who sang songs with such an anointing on them. Nowaday, today's artists seem more focused on songs with the same style:
    verse
    chorus
    verse
    chorus
    bridge
    verse or chorus (softly)
    more powerful repeating of verse/chorus

IT GETS SO BORING after awhile.
    Check out some of the older classic Christian music. You might like it!

Círeth likes this.