Human diet causing 'catastrophic' damage to planet: study

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by Tall Timbers, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

Paris (AFP) - The way humanity produces and eats food must radically change to avoid millions of deaths and "catastrophic" damage to the planet, according to a landmark study published Thursday.

The key to both goals is a dramatic shift in the global diet -- roughly half as much sugar and red meat, and twice as many vegetables, fruits and nuts, a consortium of three dozen researchers concluded in The Lancet, a medical journal.

"We are in a catastrophic situation," co-author Tim Lang, a professor at the University of London and policy lead for the EAT-Lancet Commission that compiled the 50-page study, told AFP.

https://news.yahoo.com/human-diet-causing-catastrophic-damage-planet-study-005106550.html

How long before the left has compelled the grocery store to offer us an array of insects in lieu of beef product?

Andy C, tinyprayers, chaser and 5 others like this.
  2. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

Not long at all by my guess. It’s long past leaving people to eat whatever suits them and is healthy for their individual needs.

It’s now becoming unsafe to use science to explain why a Keto diet for example is healthy and can restore health to those who need to eat more meat and less beans & grains.

The eco warriors are out in full force denying individual choice. Like the left usually does, they don’t realize it cuts both ways. When those who eat meat by and large refuse to shame the vegetarians they don’t seem able to extend the courtesy in the other direction.

There is a lot of anger and shaming coming from the left and as Liz Wolfe (author of Eat the Yolks) or Denise Minger who debunked the China Study found, its difficult to speak the truth when the lies are so popular.

(edited to change Meg to Liz Wolfe--I got the wrong author. I'd also like to add Lierre Kieth who wrote a wonderful book debunking the whole the earth is dying because we eat meat myth called The Vegetarian Myth)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Kem, Andy C, tinyprayers and 5 others like this.
  3. Cindy S.

Cindy S. Well-Known Member

Let's feed the green stuff to the animals and eat them instead
    It's catastrophic the sky is falling!

Kem, Andy C, tinyprayers and 4 others like this.
  4. billy swinea

billy swinea Well-Known Member

Like the add said beef it's whats for dinner! Steak and taders yum yum

Andy C, tinyprayers, Kaatje and 5 others like this.
  5. Tall Timbers

Coincidentally, one of my daughters mentioned last night that she'd like to try "bug bread" if I ever see it in the stores. It doesn't sound like something I would want to try but it appears the younger generation is being conditioned to eat bugs... I'm not against the consumption of insects, I love roasted and salted Santander ants, for example, but those are a rare food that not too many outside of Colombia have ever had, and I do like red meat, and other meats, and eat plenty of it.

Kem, Andy C, Jeri minton and 5 others like this.
  6. athenasius

LOL Tall Timbers, you and me both. I am not really into the locusts and wild honey thing. Locusts might be a tasty snack, and I'm sure they might be just like Shrimps which look like sea going bugs or crabs, that look like spiders, but ewwww!

And I like my honey cultivated by a hardy bee keeper. Wild honey comes with attacks by cranky bees unwilling to share the golden goodness.

I'm sure I could if I had to, but till then, bring on the steak!

7. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

I do not care what other people eat, if it sounds weird or gross I won't watch, but try to conform me as to what I should eat and we will have a situation :mafia hands off my Steak, anyway cows eat grass, if you are what you eat, then it's safe to eat Beef, so I get meat and salad at once with every bite:biggrin

Cindy S., Kem, Andy C and 6 others like this.
  8. Mary Cole

Mary Cole Well-Known Member

I had to eat raw, frozen, hibernating black ants when I was in Survival School in Spokane Washington, during the middle of winter in 1981. Tasted like lemons, since their bodies are full of citric acid, but I still never wanna eat them again. Just the thought.......:sick

Kem, Andy C, Jeri minton and 6 others like this.
  9. athenasius

LOL Mary, even with BBQ sauce?????? You sure????? BBQ sauce fixes a lot of things, but I'm not gonna bite any bugs either any more, and yup, I ate ants once too, to win a dare when I was a naughty teenager. I dunno though, maybe a really good home made bbq sauce????? :p

10. Cloud Watcher

Cloud Watcher Well-Known Member

Mankind didn't create the critters, God did. He didn't seem to think their existence was a problem.

If plants are so good for us, why are so many of my allergies plant based, not animal protein.

Cindy S., Andy C, Jeri minton and 7 others like this.
  11. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Interesting, good point.

12. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

Soylent Green

Cindy S., Andy C, tinyprayers and 5 others like this.
  13. Tall Timbers

When I went through that school they gave each of us one MRE. During the course I managed to snare at least one squirrel and we also got to share a rabbit. I finished my MRE early the first day. After the course ended I learned that many didn't even eat their MRE. Either they went hungry or snuck in food. I was a bit livid that those who didn't want their MRE's didn't share them with those who would appreciate the calories... I didn't eat any insects on that trip and it was late enough in fall that there weren't any berries or anything like that to eat, and I wasn't familiar with the plants in the area so as to know which ones might be safe to eat. Mary, since you did your course in winter, did you have to carry two sleeping bags? That's what they told us the class after us was gonna have to do.

Kem, Andy C, billy swinea and 3 others like this.
  14. Mary Cole

No, just one. And we had to make our own lean-to shelter. I was the ONLY female, so I was very protected by my brothers-in-arms. No one dared come near me. lol I was given these humongous "bunny boots" for snow and ice, and they were so big, they would have fit a man three times my size. I slid on some snow/ice and slid down a hill and became impaled on a fallen tree branch on my rear end. I later ended up with "numb toe syndrome" which is one step removed from frostbite...on all 10 toes. All better now. :)

Cindy S., Kem, Andy C and 5 others like this.
  15. Mary Cole

They gave us each an MRE, and a potato and I think an onion. We didn't snare a thing, though we tried. I would have loved to have gone fishing. I love fishing. My favorite thing in the MRE was the cereal bar that tasted like frosted flakes. Several of the guys gave me theirs.

Kem, Andy C, billy swinea and 3 others like this.
  16. Ugh... I just cringe when I hear their terminology to create panic: “catastrophic”, “on the verge of disaster”, “this is the last chance”, etc. I tell my family that one of these days they will have us eat dirt and roots

17. tinyprayers

tinyprayers Well-Known Member

Grocery shopping the other day I passed by the store magazine rack. There was a publication called the KETO diet. And below that title was the question, can eating meat save the planet?
    Seriously, I passed by but I had to back up to re-read that.

I think studies can pretty much say anything the $grant wants to be said.
    Remember not that many years ago? A study came out that said wine in moderation was good for you? Then about a year later just the opposite study appeared.
    Not uncommon. A few years ago and overnight one study appeared on the news claiming Tylenol was dangerous. The next night, no kidding, a study said, Tylenol was good for you.

McDonald's is one of the leading contributors to the decimation, the clear cutting, of the south American rain forest.All because the property is cheaper so as to expand their cattle pastures for those Big Mac's and quarter pounder's.

What needs to be said about all factory farming and manufactured pre-packaged foods is, if they'd stop using steroids, growth hormone, which are illegal for humans to consume in America but is perfectly normal to be found as by product in our foods, antibiotics, which stymie our immune system, we'd be healthier.
    If manufactured foods companies would stop cutting corners so as to make more of a profit we'd be healthier. The list of ingredients and by products is staggering when considering many of those ingredients are carcinogenic.
    https://mphprogramslist.com/50-jawdroppingly-toxic-food-additives-to-avoid/

Links / Toxic foods by products lists

18. tinyprayers

Yep. Be sure to wash it down by throwing back a big mouth can of lite beer and if a headache ensues Tylenol is safe for that now. Or not.What day is it?

19. tinyprayers

"PEOPLE! IT'S MADE OF PEOPLEEEEEE!" Ah, Charlton Heston. We miss you.

Ants! It's whats for dinner. :peek

Andy C, chaser, athenasius and 2 others like this.
  20. Mary Cole

:campfire:lolsign