How to witness to someone involved in new age practices?

Andy C

What verses or explanations would you use to show someone the dangers of tarot cards and other new age practices?
From Jack Kelley

Question: A very good friend of mine has asked if I would wish to come along and have my tarot cards read with her. Now I have always felt a little uneasy with things like this as I do not want to “entertain the devil” as such or invite bad things to happen.
My friend and I have only recently re-kindled our friendship after we had a disagreement and didn’t speak for a number of years. It was my children’s christening that brought us back together. I expressed my feelings of unease to her, and she understood but gushed at how much she enjoyed having hers read a year ago and also told me that the reading had implied that we would become friends again. What do you think I should do?

Answer: Tarot card reading falls under the heading of fortune telling and in my opinion should be avoided. The fact that this was forbidden in Old Testament times (Deut. 18:9-11) tells us God is not pleased with such things. Only He knows the future, which means all other sources are of a different origin. It could be just the card reader’s opinion, which isn’t worth anything, or it could be something much more sinister, which makes it dangerous. The problem is, you can’t identify the source.

You shouldn’t be impressed that your reconciliation was foretold. The odds are 50/50 that any prediction like that could come true, and the power of suggestion it generated could have led your friend to subconsciously look for an opportunity to reconcile with you.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/tarot-card-reading/

Andy C

What verses or explanations would you use to show someone the dangers of tarot cards and other new age practices?
Also from Jack

The problem with consulting those who claim to know the future is that it may involve consorting with demons. This practice was forbidden in Deut. 18:9-12. The slave girl in Acts 16:16-19 obviously had some sort of supernatural power, being able to confirm the legitimacy of Paul’s preaching. Even though she was telling the truth, Paul cast the spirit out of her because it was demonic.

Today many of the psychics, palm readers and such are harmless fakes who profit from our gullibility. But some are undoubtedly inspired by demons like their counterparts from the past. The problem is that you can’t tell by looking which is which.

None of them appear to have a perfect knowledge of the future, since even the most famous and popular ones are not right all the time. Only God has a perfect track record in foretelling the future. Remember, God is Truth, but Satan is a deceiver. By the way, the prohibition against participating in such occult practices has never expired.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/fortune-tellers-and-soothsayers/

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God

Is this someone who is saved but getting involved with the occult? If it is an unbeliever, share the Gospel and pray for them to make the choice to trust in Jesus as their savior. If it's a believer, that's when explanations from the Bible would sway them to stay away from opening themself to the influences of the enemy.

Greenfirefly

It's someone w
Is this someone who is saved but getting involved with the occult? If it is an unbeliever, share the Gospel and pray for them to make the choice to trust in Jesus as their savior. If it's a believer, that's when explanations from the Bible would sway them to stay away from opening themself to the influences of the enemy.
Ho
It's someone who is not a believer. I tried to tell them that 99% of the time these things were fake, but the small percentage when they actually work you are getting hold of something dangerous. They were not impressed. I wasn't sure if the Old Testament warnings still apply today.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
It's someone w

Ho

It's someone who is not a believer. I tried to tell them that 99% of the time these things were fake, but the small percentage when they actually work you are getting hold of something dangerous. They were not impressed. I wasn't sure if the Old Testament warnings still apply today.

Biblically speaking, unbelievers can't be expected to want to do anything to please God. That becomes possible once a person is regenerated after putting his or her faith in Christ's completed work and resurrection. IMHO the Holy Spirit only works to convict unbelievers regarding their sin of unbelief, their eventual judgment, and their need for a savior to be right with God. I take that from John 16

8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world regarding sin, and righteousness, and judgment: 9 regarding sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and regarding righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you no longer are going to see Me; 11 and regarding judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

Rather than point out hot-button sins, maybe the general approach can be used, a la Romans 3:23, that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and can be justified freely by His grace. But I don't think we can preach sin to unbelievers in the sense of getting them to stop sinning, we can only preach sin in the context of eternal judgment and their need to trust in Jesus to save them.

Helping a person to turn from a specific sin would be more in the realm of discipling a new believer.

1 Thessalonians 1 mentions that work is produced by faith, labor is prompted by love, and endurance is inspired by hope in Jesus. And the order given is that they were convicted of the Gospel and believed in verse 5, they became imitators of Paul and his ministry helpers in verse 6, and later in verse 9 other people recognized that they turned to God from idols (paganism, occultism) after that process. Saved first, then sanctified.

This person desperately needs fervent prayer and someone to preach the all-sufficient work of Christ. Occult practices are still as dangerous today as in the Old Testament, but it's Christ that can save someone out of them just like any other sin you can think of.

Welcome to the forum by the way; I just noticed I was talking to a new member. There's a new member section for introducing yourself and talking about your testimony if you'd like to let people know you a bit

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Ask them why are they doing these things? What are they trying to accomplish? To what ends? What are they seeking? Peace? Knowledge? Wisdom? Salvation?

There is only one way to the truth. What do they think happens when they die? Segue into the Gospel. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is everlasting life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Invite them to church.

Rocky Rivera

This fortune-telling stuff is blasphemy; it goes against both Scripture and science. God says that He ALONE knows the end from the beginning. In other words, God is saying that only He knows the future. But fortune-telling says that through arcane arts we can know the future. That's calling God a liar, which is blasphemy. Also, unless God reveals the future to someone (like John on Patmos), only Someone who is outside of space and time can clearly see the future. Since all creatures -- physical and angelic -- are bound to space and time and must reside inside it, no creature can see the future. This also means that anyone claiming they can use occult means to determine the future is absolutely lying. You can't trust these people, so don't waste your time and money on them.

Since all creatures -- physical and angelic -- are bound to space and time and must reside inside it, no creature can see the future.
Right, one of the tricks in the demon world is their knowledge of the past since creation. They know you, they have studied your family and know your entire family history. This way they can usually come up with a highly accurate educated guess to what you might do or be tempted by. These "fortune tellers" are either human con-artists or some of the few that actually deal in the dark arts and have demonic access. This is how they trick a lot of people and open up spiritual portals in the undiscerning. The latter can be very dangerous indeed. It is best for everyone to stay clear of this kind of stuff.

Rocky Rivera

Right, one of the tricks in the demon world is their knowledge of the past since creation. They know you, they have studied your family and know your entire family history. This way they can usually come up with a highly accurate educated guess to what you might do or be tempted by. These "fortune tellers" are either human con-artists or some of the few that actually deal in the dark arts and have demonic access. This is how they trick a lot of people and open up spiritual portals in the undiscerning. The latter can be very dangerous indeed. It is best for everyone to stay clear of this kind of stuff.
You know, it's funny when I think back two decades ago when they had "psychic hotlines". The very first thing they ask you when you call their number is, "Hello, what's your name?" That question is a dead giveaway they're not "psychic" at all unless they have demonic help. I mean, shouldn't they know your name without asking because they're so-called "psychic"?

You know, it's funny when I think back two decades ago when they had "psychic hotlines". The very first thing they ask you when you call their number is, "Hello, what's your name?" That question is a dead giveaway they're not "psychic" at all unless they have demonic help. I mean, shouldn't they know your name without asking because they're so-called "psychic"?
cliche miss cleo voice: call me now for your free psychic reading!

RobinB

Reminds me of that news photo of a sign on front of psychic's shop "Closed Due to Unforeseen Circumstances." Really? :rolleyes:

RobinB

But on a serious note, I have a coworker who sees what's happening in the world with evil, but still does not believe in Christ or anything Christian. She believes in reincarnation and other various new age stuff, and every.single.conspiracy.theory in the books. So. we agree that something is happening and will happen, but I know why and she does not.

It's actually sad, because when you know *why* it's happening and have the hope that we do, it's easier to handle. For her, there is no hope. Just a sense of ever growing evil.

Rocky Rivera

But on a serious note, I have a coworker who sees what's happening in the world with evil, but still does not believe in Christ or anything Christian. She believes in reincarnation and other various new age stuff, and every.single.conspiracy.theory in the books. So. we agree that something is happening and will happen, but I know why and she does not.

It's actually sad, because when you know *why* it's happening and have the hope that we do, it's easier to handle. For her, there is no hope. Just a sense of ever growing evil.
As I was thinking about your co-worker, and by extension others like her, who sense "something very wicked this way comes", I imagine that they can only bristle with increasing foreboding as that evil approaches its climax. We see the evil, but we are unperturbed because instead of an enroaching feeling of absolute dread, we are filled with anticipation and hope -- the King is coming for us! He promised and He said so. How does a believer not only hold their sanity, but grow ever more hopeful by the day in these days when the ominous shadow of the Tribulation is looming over the final hours of the Age of Grace? By taking heed according to the Word of the LORD. The same goes for a believer during the Trib hour looking up at the guillotine's blade, knowing that on the other side of it is the greatest celebration this cosmos has ever seen.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Just saw this thread.

Get a copy of Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow (Constance Cumbey). Good basic book about this topic from a Christian standpoint that could give you ideas/suggestions. Could also be a good book to give to the person if such a gift would be appropriate in the context of your relationship with the person and ongoing discussion with/witnessing to him or her (read it first so you are ready to answer questions or objections).

Tracts may be helpful, but I don't know offhand who makes tracts that are specifically anti-new age or anti-specific new age activities.

Batman

Just saw this thread.

Get a copy of Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow (Constance Cumbey). Good basic book about this topic from a Christian standpoint that could give you ideas/suggestions. Could also be a good book to give to the person if such a gift would be appropriate in the context of your relationship with the person and ongoing discussion with/witnessing to him or her (read it first so you are ready to answer questions or objections).

Tracts may be helpful, but I don't know offhand who makes tracts that are specifically anti-new age or anti-specific new age activities.
I met Constance Cumbey in the mid-90's b/c a coworker who was very good at the time on researching and explain the occult brought her to KC to speak somewhere. I have her book and loved it. During that same time I enjoyed Berit Kjos materials too.