How To Win Your Crowns

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
How To Win Your Crowns
A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

“So, forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.”- (Phil 3:13-16)

After you’re saved, you have the opportunity to win rewards, or crowns, which will be presented to you immediately after the Rapture. (1 Cor. 4:5) Jesus Himself will make the presentation in what will be the biggest awards ceremony ever in the history of mankind.

This awards ceremony is sometimes called the Bema Seat judgment, after the Greek word for judgment, because of the similarity. In the ancient Olympics, judges awarded ivy crowns (called stephanos) to the winners of the various events at the “Bema Seat”, or judges stand, just like they award medals in our time.

The New Testament lists five categories in which crowns will be awarded to qualified believers.

These crowns are identified as the Everlasting Crown (Victory) in 1 Cor 9:25, the Crown of the Soul Winner in Phil 4:1 and 1 Thes 2:19, the Crown of Righteousness in 2 Tim 4:8, the Crown of Life in James 1:12 and Rev 2:10, and the Crown of Glory in 1 Peter 5:4.

The Everlasting Crown (Crown of Victory)​

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” – (1 Cor. 9:24-27)

This passage most clearly defines the context in which crowns are awarded, so it’s a good one to look at first. The Crown of victory is also the one that the Bible has the most to say about because it’s one that every believer can win. Paul used a sports analogy to help us understand the rules for winning so we wouldn’t be confused about how this works. As in events like the Olympics, winning the Victors crown requires that competitors qualify and then compete. For us, qualifying means being saved, because this is an event for believers only. Then we go into “strict training” in order to increase our chances for victory, because no Christian should be satisfied just to qualify, even if it does mean gaining eternal life. That’s just the beginning. We all want to win crowns and get rewards. In going for this crown we’re not competing against each other, but against our old selves, also called “the flesh”.

Achieving victory means putting the flesh to death; getting rid of our selfish desires, our bad habits and attitudes, and any behavior that puts the Lord to shame. One of the places where the Bible has much to say about what it takes to win this crown is Ephesians 4-6. In fact every one of Paul’s letters to the Church exhorts us to compete for this crown, out of gratitude for what we’ve been given. Gaining victory over the flesh is the best thing we can do to show the Lord how thankful we are that He saved us.

As in all competitive events there’s no penalty for losing, only a reward for winning. And failing to win in one event does not mean that we forfeit rewards legitimately won in others. But we have to win fair and square, (2 Tim. 2:5) and more than anything else, our attitude has to be right. Any thought of recognition or personal gain, or even of making points with the Lord will disqualify us. The only acceptable motive is bringing glory to God. (1 Cor. 3:12-15 & 4:1-5)

If we’re in Christ we’re a new creation in God’s eyes. (2 Cor. 5:17) We’re now royalty in training. Our challenge is to live up to what we’ve already become by acting like who we are in Christ. Those who succeed will receive the Crown of Victory.

The Crown of the Soul Winner​

“Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends! (Phil. 4:1)
For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy.” – (1 Thes 2:19)

Paul was happiest when he thought of all the people who had come to the Lord through his teaching, writing, and church planting. And the harvest of his labors has continued unabated through out the entire Church Age. Since there’s no number stated as a qualifier we don’t have to be intimidated by Paul’s unbeatable results. We just have to make the most of every opportunity the Lord brings across our path. And remember, we’re judged here by our effort, not our results. Each person bears the responsibility for his or her own choice regarding salvation. So we don’t have to be argumentative or coercive, we just have to make a clear and concise presentation of the gospel and then pray that it’s received. This is the model Paul established for us.

The Crown of Righteousness​

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” – (2 Tim 4:8)

Since our righteousness is derived from our faith, this Crown is not for those whose lives have been the most pure. You can’t get purer than God, whose righteousness has been imputed to us. When we long for the Lord’s return we’re demonstrating our belief that He’s coming for us. We’re not afraid that we won’t measure up but are absolutely certain that when He comes for His Church, we’ll be among those He takes.

A person who depends on the righteousness of his or her own works can only feel either arrogance or fear, not longing. Some are arrogant enough to believe that they deserve entry into Heaven because of their exemplary life. Their pride keeps them from longing for the Lord because they’re getting so much satisfaction from feeling superior. They’re like the Pharisees who looked the Lord right in the eye and chose to rely on their own works rather than His Grace.

Others live in fear that they’ll be rejected at the last minute for some forgotten failure. They don’t long for the Lord because they’re scared to death of being rejected. Only the one who depends exclusively on Grace can long for the Lord. Since they know we can never measure up, they long for the day when we can no longer fail.

The Crown of Life​

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” – (Jas 1:12)

“Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.” – (Rev 2:10)

This crown is for believers who’ve faced persecution and suffering for the Lord, even to the point of death. We’re familiar with the trials and tribulations of the First and Second Century believers, but did you know that even in our time several thousand believers die for their faith every day, and many more thousands are evicted from their homes, incarcerated, or forced to live in fear for their lives? They will win the Crown of Life.

The Crown of Glory​

“To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” – (1 Peter 5:1-4)

Only those called into ministry can qualify for this crown. The requirements are clear, and many loyal shepherds of the Lord’s flock will finally get the recognition they so richly deserve. Others, who’ve lorded it over believers entrusted to their care, or strapped heavy yokes of legalism to their necks will be forced to stand to the side and watch as the Lord rewards those who’ve stayed true to His word.

These are the five crowns listed in the New Testament. Some of us may receive all five of these crowns, but every one of us can qualify to receive at least one. And like I said above, there’s nothing we can do that will bring the Lord more pleasure. And after all He’s done for us, it doesn’t seem like too much to ask, does it? Selah.

https://www.raptureforums.com/spiritual-life/how-to-win-your-crowns/

Andy C

Isn't there one for those who study prophecy? Or am I thinking of something else?
Prophecy is listed as one of the gifts some receive.

1 Corinthians 12
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spiritdistributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

athenasius

Isn't there one for those who study prophecy? Or am I thinking of something else?
it's this one here that Jack explains

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.” – (2 Tim 4:8)

Since our righteousness is derived from our faith, this Crown is not for those whose lives have been the most pure. You can’t get purer than God, whose righteousness has been imputed to us. When we long for the Lord’s return we’re demonstrating our belief that He’s coming for us.
These are the people who study prophecy, who long for the Lord's return and glean every crumb from the Bible about that return and all the events surrounding it.

These are the ones who have that hope, that spring of joy at any mention of the Rapture. We may think briefly of how little we measure up, but then return our eyes upon Jesus, the hope of our salvation who paid the price for us. We long for His return, to see Him face to face.

The study of His Word, the prophecy in it brings us hope and joy as we wait for the Rapture.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20

The blessing for hearing or reading Revelation

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
Revelation 1:1-3, KJV

7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
Revelation 22:7, KJV

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Andy C

it's this one here that Jack explains

These are the people who study prophecy, who long for the Lord's return and glean every crumb from the Bible about that return and all the events surrounding it.

These are the ones who have that hope, that spring of joy at any mention of the Rapture. We may think briefly of how little we measure up, but then return our eyes upon Jesus, the hope of our salvation who paid the price for us. We long for His return, to see Him face to face.

The study of His Word, the prophecy in it brings us hope and joy as we wait for the Rapture.
Im not sure I agree with Jack. Longing for His return seems to me to be different than those who study prophecy. Most of all Christians are longing for the Lord to return, yet very few actually study prophecy

2 Timothy 4
8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Prophecy is listed as one of the gifts some receive.

1 Corinthians 12
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spiritdistributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
I think Robin may have confusing this as one of the crowns we receive at the Bema seat judgement
Im not sure I agree with Jack. Longing for His return seems to me to be different than those who study prophecy. Most of all Christians are longing for the Lord to return, yet very few actually study prophecy

2 Timothy 4
8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Am i reading this right Andy that you don't agree with Jack LOL ???

katt

I was taught to make sure everything I do is done for the right reason..so much so that the minute a thought went through my head that made me think..folks will think we'll of you for doing that...or thoughts like that one... another thought would ask me..is that why you're doing this? The teaching was so ingrained in me that I ended up not doing what I had planned on doing for fear of doing it for the wrong motive..as I got older I realized I was doing nothing for The Lord.. that's when I decided..just do for The Lord..no matter my thoughts..let God himself take care of and tell me what my motive was when the time comes..

Jojo4124

How To Win Your Crowns

“So, forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.”- (Phil 3:13-16)

After you’re saved, you have the opportunity to win rewards, or crowns, which will be presented to you immediately after the Rapture. (1 Cor. 4:5) Jesus Himself will make the presentation in what will be the biggest awards ceremony ever in the history of mankind.

This awards ceremony is sometimes called the Bema Seat judgment, after the Greek word for judgment, because of the similarity. In the ancient Olympics, judges awarded ivy crowns (called stephanos) to the winners of the various events at the “Bema Seat”, or judges stand, just like they award medals in our time.

The New Testament lists five categories in which crowns will be awarded to qualified believers.

These crowns are identified as the Everlasting Crown (Victory) in 1 Cor 9:25, the Crown of the Soul Winner in Phil 4:1 and 1 Thes 2:19, the Crown of Righteousness in 2 Tim 4:8, the Crown of Life in James 1:12 and Rev 2:10, and the Crown of Glory in 1 Peter 5:4.

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” – (1 Cor. 9:24-27)

This passage most clearly defines the context in which crowns are awarded, so it’s a good one to look at first. The Crown of victory is also the one that the Bible has the most to say about because it’s one that every believer can win. Paul used a sports analogy to help us understand the rules for winning so we wouldn’t be confused about how this works. As in events like the Olympics, winning the Victors crown requires that competitors qualify and then compete. For us, qualifying means being saved, because this is an event for believers only. Then we go into “strict training” in order to increase our chances for victory, because no Christian should be satisfied just to qualify, even if it does mean gaining eternal life. That’s just the beginning. We all want to win crowns and get rewards. In going for this crown we’re not competing against each other, but against our old selves, also called “the flesh”.

Achieving victory means putting the flesh to death; getting rid of our selfish desires, our bad habits and attitudes, and any behavior that puts the Lord to shame. One of the places where the Bible has much to say about what it takes to win this crown is Ephesians 4-6. In fact every one of Paul’s letters to the Church exhorts us to compete for this crown, out of gratitude for what we’ve been given. Gaining victory over the flesh is the best thing we can do to show the Lord how thankful we are that He saved us.

As in all competitive events there’s no penalty for losing, only a reward for winning. And failing to win in one event does not mean that we forfeit rewards legitimately won in others. But we have to win fair and square, (2 Tim. 2:5) and more than anything else, our attitude has to be right. Any thought of recognition or personal gain, or even of making points with the Lord will disqualify us. The only acceptable motive is bringing glory to God. (1 Cor. 3:12-15 & 4:1-5)

If we’re in Christ we’re a new creation in God’s eyes. (2 Cor. 5:17) We’re now royalty in training. Our challenge is to live up to what we’ve already become by acting like who we are in Christ. Those who succeed will receive the Crown of Victory.

“Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends! (Phil. 4:1)
For what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you? Indeed, you are our glory and joy.” – (1 Thes 2:19)

Paul was happiest when he thought of all the people who had come to the Lord through his teaching, writing, and church planting. And the harvest of his labors has continued unabated through out the entire Church Age. Since there’s no number stated as a qualifier we don’t have to be intimidated by Paul’s unbeatable results. We just have to make the most of every opportunity the Lord brings across our path. And remember, we’re judged here by our effort, not our results. Each person bears the responsibility for his or her own choice regarding salvation. So we don’t have to be argumentative or coercive, we just have to make a clear and concise presentation of the gospel and then pray that it’s received. This is the model Paul established for us.

Since our righteousness is derived from our faith, this Crown is not for those whose lives have been the most pure. You can’t get purer than God, whose righteousness has been imputed to us. When we long for the Lord’s return we’re demonstrating our belief that He’s coming for us. We’re not afraid that we won’t measure up but are absolutely certain that when He comes for His Church, we’ll be among those He takes.

A person who depends on the righteousness of his or her own works can only feel either arrogance or fear, not longing. Some are arrogant enough to believe that they deserve entry into Heaven because of their exemplary life. Their pride keeps them from longing for the Lord because they’re getting so much satisfaction from feeling superior. They’re like the Pharisees who looked the Lord right in the eye and chose to rely on their own works rather than His Grace.

Others live in fear that they’ll be rejected at the last minute for some forgotten failure. They don’t long for the Lord because they’re scared to death of being rejected. Only the one who depends exclusively on Grace can long for the Lord. Since they know we can never measure up, they long for the day when we can no longer fail.

The Crown of Life​

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” – (Jas 1:12)

“Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.” – (Rev 2:10)

This crown is for believers who’ve faced persecution and suffering for the Lord, even to the point of death. We’re familiar with the trials and tribulations of the First and Second Century believers, but did you know that even in our time several thousand believers die for their faith every day, and many more thousands are evicted from their homes, incarcerated, or forced to live in fear for their lives? They will win the Crown of Life.

The Crown of Glory​

“To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” – (1 Peter 5:1-4)

Only those called into ministry can qualify for this crown. The requirements are clear, and many loyal shepherds of the Lord’s flock will finally get the recognition they so richly deserve. Others, who’ve lorded it over believers entrusted to their care, or strapped heavy yokes of legalism to their necks will be forced to stand to the side and watch as the Lord rewards those who’ve stayed true to His word.

These are the five crowns listed in the New Testament. Some of us may receive all five of these crowns, but every one of us can qualify to receive at least one. And like I said above, there’s nothing we can do that will bring the Lord more pleasure. And after all He’s done for us, it doesn’t seem like too much to ask, does it? Selah.

Do we
How To Win Your Crowns

The Crown of Life​

The Crown of Glory​

Do you think we will cast our crowns before Jesus like the 24 elders did? I wonder...but that would be all the more glory to Jesus, who gives us the ability to earn them!!

Jojo4124

I was taught to make sure everything I do is done for the right reason..so much so that the minute a thought went through my head that made me think..folks will think we'll of you for doing that...or thoughts like that one... another thought would ask me..is that why you're doing this? The teaching was so ingrained in me that I ended up not doing what I had planned on doing for fear of doing it for the wrong motive..as I got older I realized I was doing nothing for The Lord.. that's when I decided..just do for The Lord..no matter my thoughts..let God himself take care of and tell me what my motive was when the time comes..
And He knows your heart more than you do :)

Andy C

I believe the Apostle Paul summed it up the best

1 Corinthians 9
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly;I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

daygo

2 Timothy 4
You have a point Andy, Church I left awhile ago said almost every week the Lord will soon return or something to that effect.

katt

Do we

Do you think we will cast our crowns before Jesus like the 24 elders did? I wonder...but that would be all the more glory to Jesus, who gives us the ability to earn them!!
Yes..we will cast our crowns at the feet of Jesus..and he will wear them all..Revelation says when the skies opens up and Jesus rides out on his white horse he will be wearing many crowns..I have often wondered how that will look..for he will be wearing crowns numbering into the zillions..

Bethlehem57

Yes..we will cast our crowns at the feet of Jesus..and he will wear them all..Revelation says when the skies opens up and Jesus rides out on his white horse he will be wearing many crowns..I have often wondered how that will look..for he will be wearing crowns numbering into the zillions..
Something I long to do! think of seeing Him face to face and am in awe even now! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Back