How to Hold Church In The Era of COVID

Rocky Rivera

Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. - Matthew 10:16
For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. - Luke 16:8

It's no secret that liberal-run governments are out to persecute the Church. If they truly wanted to prevent the spread of this so-called disease, why allow the riots, protests, etc., but prevent the Church from gathering together to worship God? But my wife told me of an idea she had today, and I wanted to share it with you. I don't know if any Christian church has had similar ideas, but I'll say it here:

Why not conduct the worship service like a concert or drive-in theater? Gather everyone outside, have them either stay in their vehicle or under a tarp covering to shield them from the sun's rays. Then have the preacher project his voice through a loudspeaker system so not only the congregation hears, but everyone at least two blocks away will also hear the message. That way it gets the Gospel out to more people -- especially those who did not intend to come to Church! Also, because it is outdoors, perhaps the government will be either more lenient or will openly permit these gatherings.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. - Matthew 10:16
For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. - Luke 16:8

It's no secret that liberal-run governments are out to persecute the Church. If they truly wanted to prevent the spread of this so-called disease, why allow the riots, protests, etc., but prevent the Church from gathering together to worship God? But my wife told me of an idea she had today, and I wanted to share it with you. I don't know if any Christian church has had similar ideas, but I'll say it here:

Why not conduct the worship service like a concert or drive-in theater? Gather everyone outside, have them either stay in their vehicle or under a tarp covering to shield them from the sun's rays. Then have the preacher project his voice through a loudspeaker system so not only the congregation hears, but everyone at least two blocks away will also hear the message. That way it gets the Gospel out to more people -- especially those who did not intend to come to Church! Also, because it is outdoors, perhaps the government will be either more lenient or will openly permit these gatherings.
Our church does this occasionally. The church has purchased a transmitter that will transmit to people's radios in the car. There's seating on the lawn under sun shelters for those not too worried about CV. Lately, we've been holding indoor services with an earlier service that observes all the protocols for the elderly, immunocompromised congregants, and a later service for the congregants that are fed up with all the protocols.

Of course, we don't have a liberal government in our area trying to shut us down. If we did, I suspect there would be some civil disobedience.

JamesSuth

Good ideas! I think churches that are following Christ are doing some things like this. Although there are none in my area, I'm aware of churches that have gone online and are attracting far more people. Others somehow manage to connect people by telephone - not sure how they do that, but it is good for older people who might not have access to internet (I'm aware there are many older people who are very tech aware as well :thumbup). I like the idea of holding outdoor services. I can't see a huge health risk with that, and who knows who will hear services that wouldn't go into a building. My impression from the part of the UK that I live is that many who previously went to dead churches are not bothered in the slightest that they don't have their weekly services. On the other hand some churches seem to be reaching people who are now searching and wouldn't have gone into a church (or who would have just gone to the nearest one).

JamesSuth

I just wanted to add to my last post, that does not take away from persecution of the church. If you're church is being 'encouraged' not to reopen, say faithful to God and not to man. Other threads have been mentioning churches being told not to open, while other organisations are being allowed to reopen. We need to be very wise to be a good witness, not put people at risk etc, but also not to sleepwalk into being banned either.