How To Completely NOT Understand The Book Of Revelation

Meg

In one poorly conceived book called “Revelations: Visions, Prophecy, and Politics in the Book of Revelation” (Viking), by Elaine Pagels

Elaine Pagels on the Book of Revelation : The New Yorker

The Big Reveal Why does the Bible end that way?
by Adam Gopnik

The Bible, as every Sunday-school student learns, has a Hollywood ending. Not a happy ending, certainly, but one where all the dramatic plot points left open earlier, to the whispered uncertainty of the audience (“I don’t get it—when did he say he was coming back?”), are resolved in a rush, and a final, climactic confrontation between the stern-lipped action hero and the really bad guys takes place. That ending—the Book of Revelation—has every element that Michael Bay could want: dragons, seven-headed sea beasts, double-horned land beasts, huge C.G.I.-style battles involving hundreds of thousands of angels and demons, and even, in Jezebel the temptress, a part for Megan Fox. (“And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.”) Although Revelation got into the canonical Bible only by the skin of its teeth—it did poorly in previews, and was buried by the Apostolic suits until one key exec favored its release—it has always been a pop hit. Everybody reads Revelation; everybody gets excited about it; and generations of readers have insisted that it might even be telling the truth about what’s coming for Christmas.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I am amazed at my brother Micah's restraint in his reply. I myself am having a hard time not exploding over the garbage I just read. I think for the sake of my Christian witness I will just let his remarks stand and simply add my "Amen!"

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
That woman is head of religion at what was once a fine school founded to fit out men for ministry of The Gospel and the church. If she is not demonic I would be most surprised. Whichever, the brazenness is frightening...but not as frightening as contemplating what kind of Wrath is patiently creeping up on her. If anyone is getting close to The Sin, it is her. How many will be inspired or emboldened by her? How many students' minds are ravaged by this kind of thing? Which pulpits will they end up in? Most times I can come up with something pathetically pithy or sarcastic to cover up my feelings or lack thereof, but this is beyond joking. I can almost smell the sulfur. There are limits even to micah's tomfoolery.

readytogo

I'm not a "tree hugger" but just think of how many trees had to die to be able to publish this garbage! :tsk:

micah719

an adopted son of The Most High God John 6:37-40
Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
Rev 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

ShilohRose

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Rev 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
Rev 22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Amen.

NUmarcus

I couldn't finish that New Yorker article.

I know Micah posted a link to her profile, but I wanted to post this. Here is the listing of her work from the Princeton faculty page for the Dept. of Religion

Elaine Pagels joined the Princeton faculty in 1982, shortly after receiving a MacArthur Fellowship. Perhaps best known as the author of The Gnostic Gospels, The Origin of Satan, and Adam, Eve and the Serpent, she has published widely on Gnosticism and early Christianity, and continues to pursue research interests in late antiquity. Her most recent books include Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas (was on the New York Times best-seller list) and Reading Judas: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity, co-authored with Karen King of Harvard. Her current project is working on a book entitled Revelations which will explore the New Testament Book of Revelation and other Jewish, Christian, and Pagan books of Revelation written around the same time.
Sure seems to enjoy researching Satan or his lies. Chilling...

dave-o

She somehow missed the fact that many of the details and nearly every major event in the Revelation is ALSO found in various other books throughout the Bible.

AND I guess she didn't read it all the way through because the ending is as happy as it gets!!

(Oh and for the record, it actually has 2 "endings" not one.)

it did poorly in previews, and was buried by the Apostolic suits until one key exec favored its release—it has always been a pop hit.
This tells exactly where her mindset is. For her the Bible is just another entertainment source.

daygo

I feel sorry for this poor bloke named adam proznec or something or other, that sounds like an anti depressive meds. how can people get away with this. Truely mind blowing. :shocked