How solid is Francis Chan?

usoutpost31

This is not necessarily true. My former church showed a video of FC making the case that satan makes people sin, with no further explanation, just leaving it there. I am aware of his MANY failings concerning sound teaching and Biblical discernment, but if he doesn't understand Bible 101, I can not expect him to understand anything which requires a deeper relationship and revelation from God.

Simply put-this man is a wolf, through and through
I can only speak to what I've heard from Chan directly. I've heard several of his sermons, and there was no ambiguity. His understanding of judgement and the fate of the unsaved are in line with my own.

I haven't seen the video you're referencing and can't comment on it. However, I will say calling a pastor a wolf is about as serious a charge as you can make. As near as I can tell, Chan is sincere in his desire to win souls for Christ.

jcgss77

I can only speak to what I've heard from Chan directly. I've heard several of his sermons, and there was no ambiguity. His understanding of judgement and the fate of the unsaved are in line with my own.

I haven't seen the video you're referencing and can't comment on it. However, I will say calling a pastor a wolf is about as serious a charge as you can make. As near as I can tell, Chan is sincere in his desire to win souls for Christ.
He may have been solid at some point, but he is far from solid now.

Speaking at Bethel "Church"-this alone is enough for me pin someone as a wolf.

Speaking at IHOP-also enough for me to mark someone as a false teacher.

He has spoken at Passion Conference, where he shared in the lineup of Marco Giglio, Beth Moore, Hillsong(any/all of them). If any of this means nothing to you, watch this video:

So at least, he is guilty of violating 2 John 1:7-11. But when you start getting into his teachings, you can't shake that feeling that his interpretation leaves much to be desired, and he is very good at being mostly right, and some of the time almost right. But as I said, he got it completely wrong when he said that satan makes us sin.

Here is an excerpt, in FC's own words, about why he left Cornerstone Church where he was head pastor:
(Link to the whole article)
https://www.christianpost.com/amp/francis-chan-goes-into-detail-with-facebook-employees-on-why-he-left-his-megachurch-190136/

But Chan felt the megachurch he founded was not as God intended it to be.

“I got frustrated at a point, just biblically,” Chan said during a talk in Facebook headquarters in California last Thursday. “I’m going wait a second. According to the Bible, every single one of these people has a supernatural gift that’s meant to be used for the body. And I’m like 5,000 people show up every week to hear my gift, see my gift. That’s a lot of waste. Then I started thinking how much does it cost to run this thing? Millions of dollars!”

“So I’m wasting the human resource of these people that according to Scripture have a miraculous gift that they could contribute to the body but they’re just sitting there quietly. … [T]hey just sit there and listen to me.”

Moreover, he felt the church wasn’t following God’s command to love one another — attendees would simply greet each other for 30 seconds and mainly hang out in cliques once a week.

“I was like, ‘God, you wanted a church that was known for their love. You wanted a group of people where everyone was expressing their gifts. … We’re a body. I’m one member, maybe I’m the mouth. But if the mouth is the only thing that’s working and … I’m trying to drag the rest of the body along, chewing on the carpet …”

Yes, that was him throwing the church he was head pastor of, with the Biblical authority to change whatever was the issue. Yet, he said that God was "taking him into another direction", but one which was not revealed to him. What I hear is an excuse to leave a church which he did not want to invest any more effort, but YMMV.

I agree. He is about as solid as a house made out of nothing but carboard. Years ago, I think some of his wrtings were ok, but he seems to have lost his way, almost as if his sudden fame went to his head.
While I don't adhere to Protestantism, I have to say that, from the videos I've watched online, Francis Chan seems to be a very humble preacher. What gave you the impression that the fame went to his head, if you don't mind my asking?

ItsNotAboutTheDonkey

A newbie chiming in, so I may be off base - but I did find Erasing Hell to be a useful and sound exploration of the (uncomfortable) doctrine of hell, something we often would rather avoid thinking or talking about, particularly with unsaved people who (if we believe Jesus) are facing eternity there. Shudder. I cannot vouch for Francis Chan beyond that.

maranatha14

I lived in Simi Valley, CA when Chan took over the Crossroads church. At the time, he was solid. He teachings were great, and as a result, the church grew. Then, he left, wanting to do more of a "global" ministry. (I couldn't understand exactly what he had in mind...) Like all churches when their Pastor leaves, Crossroads suffered. I have not heard his teachings since, but the fact he aligns himself with Todd White is a huge concern. I try very hard NOT to judge men (White, Chan, Olsteen, Warren, any of them) but we are to judge doctrines. We must be discerning! We certainly we need to keep Chan in prayer. Never too late to return to a solid teaching of Christ.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Here's a few links in regards to the seeming detour to false teaching that Mr. Chan has taken. I agree with praying for him (and others who've gone astray) in the meantime it's best to avoid their slippery, ear tickling false teachings. :sad There used to be a saying that one wouldn't want to eat a chocolate muffin with a bit of doo doo in it (i.e. false teaching) just as it's not good to take in good teaching that's got a sliver of false teaching within.

Well, today it's not a chocolate muffin with a little bit of false teaching. It's a HUGE false teaching muffin with a sliver of poisonous fake chocolate within. As a result one has to be very alert and very familiar with the bible (seeking God and praying) to recognize and avoid spiritually toxic muffins running around.

So, here's a toxic muffin to avoid at this time:

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/francis-chan-declines-to-share-the-gospel-with-catholic-says-holy-spirit-doesnt-want-him-to.147851/

https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=29833

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/the-hopelessly-haplessly-deceived-francis-chan-to-share-platform-with-nar-heretics-inc-todd-white.143635/#post-842760203