How many 'Beasts' in Revelation?

Lovin Jesus

The word Beast occurs 29 times in Revelation, more than any other Book in the Bible. He often is seen coming up out of the abyss. Is it the same 'beast' all through Revelation (including Rev 13)? Or how many are there?

Here's a look at the beasts of revelation from prophecy update who has used notable contributors such as Jack Kelley, Jack Kinsella, Jan Markell and other prophecy teachers that RF uses. I've bookmarked the prophecy update website for future reference like your question

Who and What are the Beasts in the Bible? (Part 1 of 2)
https://www.prophecyupdate.com/prop...-what-are-the-beasts-in-the-bible-part-1-of-2

Part 2
https://www.prophecyupdate.com/prop...-what-are-the-beasts-in-the-bible-part-2-of-2

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Here's a look at the beasts of revelation from prophecy update who has used notable contributors such as Jack Kelley, Jack Kinsella, Jan Markell and other prophecy teachers that RF uses. I've bookmarked the prophecy update website for future reference like your question

Who and What are the Beasts in the Bible? (Part 1 of 2)
https://www.prophecyupdate.com/prop...-what-are-the-beasts-in-the-bible-part-1-of-2

Part 2
https://www.prophecyupdate.com/prop...-what-are-the-beasts-in-the-bible-part-2-of-2
Thanks for the links. I’ll take a look tomorrow but right now it is ZZZ ZZZ.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The word Beast occurs 29 times in Revelation, more than any other Book in the Bible. He often is seen coming up out of the abyss. Is it the same 'beast' all through Revelation (including Rev 13)? Or how many are there?

It's late and my mind is not working that well, but what I can come up with is that there are:

I got 44 counts of "beast" in the book of Revelation according to BLB.

The AC is referred to as a beast 36 times. (Revelation 11:7 - 13:1-4,12,14,15,17,18 - Rev 14:9,11 - Rev 15:2 - Rev 16:2,10,13 - Rev 17:3,7,8,11,12,13,16,17 - Rev 19:19,20 - Rev 20:4,10)

The FP is referred to as a beast 1 time. (Revelation 13:11-13 - 1 count)

The first part of Revelation talks about the "4 beasts" that surround God's throne 7 times. (Revelation Chapters 4:7, 6:3,5,7)

Satan is referred to as the "dragon" in Revelation.

The plural form is "beasts" and it was found 15 times in Revelation according to BLB. I think 13 times refers to the 4 beasts surrounding God's throne and 2 times to refer to the animals on earth.

I hope that helps. :)

crossnote

It's late and my mind is not working that well, but what I can come up with is that there are:

I got 44 counts of "beast" in the book of Revelation according to BLB.

The AC is referred to as a beast 36 times. (Revelation 11:7 - 13:1-4,12,14,15,17,18 - Rev 14:9,11 - Rev 15:2 - Rev 16:2,10,13 - Rev 17:3,7,8,11,12,13,16,17 - Rev 19:19,20 - Rev 20:4,10)

The first part of Revelation talks about the "4 beasts" that surround God's throne 7 times. (Revelation Chapters 4:7, 6:3,5,7)

Satan is referred to as the "dragon" in Revelation.

The plural form is "beasts" and it was found 15 times in Revelation according to BLB. I think 13 times refers to the 4 beasts surrounding God's throne and 2 times to refer to the animals on earth.

I hope that helps. :)
Thanks Chris, do you think the beast of 11:7, 17:8 and chap 13 are the same beast?

crossnote

In the original Greek, the "beasts" in Revelation 4 are zoa, which could be more accurately translated as 'creatures'.

The beasts in Rev. 13 are therion, which are just that, wild beasts.
I noticed that too,, so do you think the 'theirons' in the latter part of Rev (Ch 11 and on) may be referring to the same 'beast'?

Neonap

The beast with the 7 heads and 10 horns that is mentioned in Revelation 11, 13, and 17 is none other than the Antichrist. The second beast with two horns like a lamb is the false prophet who will make everyone worship the first beast(The antichrist) and will implement the Mark Of The Beast system.

crossnote

The beast with the 7 heads and 10 horns that is mentioned in Revelation 11, 13, and 17 is none other than the Antichrist. The second beast with two horns like a lamb is the false prophet who will make everyone worship the first beast(The antichrist) and will implement the Mark Of The Beast system.
The beast in Rev 11 comes out of the bottomless pit. (abusso)
The first beast in Rev 13 comes out of the sea (thallassa)

Are you sure these two are the same?

Batman

Beasts in Revelation and beasts in Daniel have to be reviewed very carefully in order to ensure they are properly combined or kept separated. I think many of the traditional US based prophecy leaders of the 70s to early 2000's did a great job of doing that as well as writers/authors and forums members on Rapture Ready and this current forum. Do many of you have the same issue that I have with time causing memory loss/fading/confusion on what was already vetted and known with things like this in the past? I can get very sure and confident in my learning and belief but after some time I forget or get confused all over again and have to try to sort out; again and again.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The beast in Rev 11 comes out of the bottomless pit. (abusso)
The first beast in Rev 13 comes out of the sea (thallassa)

Are you sure these two are the same?
No, they are not the same. The AC is spoken of in Rev. 11 and 13. But the FP is also introduced here:

crossnote

Do many of you have the same issue that I have with time causing memory loss/fading/confusion on what was already vetted and known with things like this in the past? I can get very sure and confident in my learning and belief but after some time I forget or get confused all over again and have to try to sort out; again and again.
Although saved since the early '70's, prophecy hadn't been a serious concern until about 6 years ago. I just read of some beasts coming up out of an abyss (bottomless pit, and was wondering if any are linked to the beast in Rev 13 coming out of the sea or the 2nd beast coming out of the earth.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Although saved since the early '70's, prophecy hadn't been a serious concern until about 6 years ago. I just read of some beasts coming up out of an abyss (bottomless pit, and was wondering if any are linked to the beast in Rev 13 coming out of the sea or the 2nd beast coming out of the earth.

Perhaps this will help:

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/beast-rev-117/

Most scholars identify the beast who comes up from the Abyss (Rev. 11:7) as the anti-Christ. I think the Locusts of Rev. 9 are demonic beings. Their king is called the angel of the Abyss, and he’s most likely the “star” who fell from heaven with the key to the Abyss (Rev. 9:1). Because he’s not called the beast who comes up from the abyss, I don’t think he’s the one who kills the 2 witnesses. I say that because as they’re used in the Revelation, “angel” and “beast” are not equivalent terms.

and........

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/one-anti-christ-or-two/

One Anti-Christ Or Two?
By Jack Kelley

Question: I’m doing a study on the book of Revelation and I ran into a bit of a snag. While the Beast is supposed to have killed the prophets(chapter 11) and the tribulation saints are being martyred, The Beast doesn’t seem to show up until Chapter 13. How does this work? Also, I have been debating with someone who insists that the BEAST and the Anti-Christ are two different characters, despite the fact that they share the same characteristics. But because the name/title ANTI-CHRIST aren’t mentioned in Revelation, this person is arguing that they are separate persons.

Answer: The term anti-Christ is exclusive to John’s letters where it appears 4 times beginning in 1 John 2:18. It really isn’t the Bible’s preferred term for the coming ruler. According to some scholars there are as many as 42 titles in the Bible that refer to him. Anti-Christ happens to be the one that man has made popular. Therefore the fact that John didn’t use this term in the Revelation does not raise an issue of identity.

The anti-Christ will first appear as the man on the white horse in Rev. 6:2 but he won’t officially be indwelt by Satan until Rev. 13 at the outset of the Great Tribulation. Up until that time he’ll be functioning as a world leader, doing Satan’s bidding but still in the strength of a man. That explains the persecution, martyrdom, etc. in the first half of the 70th Week. His real power comes when Satan is kicked out of Heaven and enters into him. Jesus warned those in Judea to flee for their lives when that happens (Matt. 24:15-16)

crossnote

Perhaps this will help:

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/beast-rev-117/

Most scholars identify the beast who comes up from the Abyss (Rev. 11:7) as the anti-Christ. I think the Locusts of Rev. 9 are demonic beings. Their king is called the angel of the Abyss, and he’s most likely the “star” who fell from heaven with the key to the Abyss (Rev. 9:1). Because he’s not called the beast who comes up from the abyss, I don’t think he’s the one who kills the 2 witnesses. I say that because as they’re used in the Revelation, “angel” and “beast” are not equivalent terms.

and........

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/one-anti-christ-or-two/

One Anti-Christ Or Two?
By Jack Kelley

Question: I’m doing a study on the book of Revelation and I ran into a bit of a snag. While the Beast is supposed to have killed the prophets(chapter 11) and the tribulation saints are being martyred, The Beast doesn’t seem to show up until Chapter 13. How does this work? Also, I have been debating with someone who insists that the BEAST and the Anti-Christ are two different characters, despite the fact that they share the same characteristics. But because the name/title ANTI-CHRIST aren’t mentioned in Revelation, this person is arguing that they are separate persons.

Answer: The term anti-Christ is exclusive to John’s letters where it appears 4 times beginning in 1 John 2:18. It really isn’t the Bible’s preferred term for the coming ruler. According to some scholars there are as many as 42 titles in the Bible that refer to him. Anti-Christ happens to be the one that man has made popular. Therefore the fact that John didn’t use this term in the Revelation does not raise an issue of identity.

The anti-Christ will first appear as the man on the white horse in Rev. 6:2 but he won’t officially be indwelt by Satan until Rev. 13 at the outset of the Great Tribulation. Up until that time he’ll be functioning as a world leader, doing Satan’s bidding but still in the strength of a man. That explains the persecution, martyrdom, etc. in the first half of the 70th Week. His real power comes when Satan is kicked out of Heaven and enters into him. Jesus warned those in Judea to flee for their lives when that happens (Matt. 24:15-16)
It was mentioned above that the AC will be indwelt by satan in Rev 13. Perhaps that would be the same as the beast in Rev 11 possessing the world's AC?

Revelation 11:7 (KJV) And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It was mentioned above that the AC will be indwelt by satan in Rev 13. Perhaps that would be the same as the beast in Rev 11 possessing the world's AC?

Revelation 11:7 (KJV) And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

There seems to be a "mystery" surrounding Rev. 11:7 and how all that plays out. As mentioned some don't see Satan doesn't "officially" indwelt the AC until Rev. 13.

The identity of the two witnesses is also a "mystery" which won't be revealed until it happens.

The AC is first mentioned in Revelation 6 as the "rider" on the white horse. Then is mentioned other places as "beast" etc. like in Revelation 13. He is described different ways. It seems like he is being described in different ways from different points of view or something. :idunno

The AC is the one most prophecy teachers agree kills the two witnesses. But in order to do that he may need Satan's help which explains Rev. 11:7 but it is not perfectly clear. Maybe Rev 11:7 is the "unofficial" indwelling or some other way that helps the AC kill the two witnesses. The Bible doesn't say HOW the two witnesses are killed, just that they are killed. There's a lot of unknowns and all the details aren't all there.

I just don't know. :idunno I looked at a few commentaries and there is not much on that topic. Most only deal with who the witnesses could be. It seems this is a "mystery" of some sort. Maybe it is as simple as Satan being referred to as that beast, when he is usually referred to as a dragon, but I don't know unless that is the "unofficial" indwelling that takes place early? I don't know. :idunno

Chris

Administrator
Staff member

I just found this in an article on the main site. You maybe most interested in #8.

https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-prophecy/gog-antichrist-armageddon-presence-god/

What do we know from scripture about the Antichrist?

1. The Antichrist will be an End-Time leader who will uproot three leaders in his rise to power over ten kings (Daniel 7:8, 24).
  2. The Antichrist is restrained from rising to power and being revealed as the man of lawlessness, the son of destruction (perdition) until God’s restraining force is removed out of the way (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 6-8).
  3. The Antichrist will confirm a strong covenant (peace covenant) with Israel for a period of seven years (Daniel 9:27).
  4. The Antichrist will break the covenant in the middle of the seven years (Daniel 9:27).
  5. The Antichrist will enter a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem and declare himself to be God, exalting himself above all gods (2 Thessalonians 2:4).
  6. The Antichrist will demand to be worshipped as God and will seek to kill all who refuse to worship him and his image (Revelation 13:15).
  7. The Antichrist will be empowered by Satan (and given authority by God) over every tribe and nation and will be worshipped by everyone on earth whose name is not recorded in Christ’s book of life (Revelation 13:7-8).
  8. In his satanically possessed form, the Antichrist is referred to as “the beast.” He is the beast out of the abyss, and the beast out of the sea (Revelation 11:7; Revelation 13). This title is in direct opposition to Christ’s role as the “lamb” of God (Revelation 5:6-13).
  9. Supernatural authority is granted to the Antichrist to act (to do his own will and the will of Satan) for a specific period of forty-two months (3 ½ years) (Revelation 13:5).
  10. The Antichrist will be killed by Jesus Christ at His second coming at the end of the War of Armageddon (2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:19-20).
  11. The Antichrist will be killed by Christ but then cast alive (resurrected) into the lake of fire (Revelation 19:20).

Hidden

I noticed that too,, so do you think the 'theirons' in the latter part of Rev (Ch 11 and on) may be referring to the same 'beast'?

Yes, I think the beast that rises from the bottomless pit is the same beast that rises out of the sea. He is the AC and he rises out of the political turmoil at that time. The fact that he comes from the bottomless pit is the intriguing part.

In Daniel 11 we see a long-drawn-out story of the king, the king of the north, and the king of the south. The mighty king in verse 3 is Alexander the Great, the vile king in verse 21 is Antiochus Ephiphanes and the king that exalts himself above every god in verse 36 is the Antichrist. Seems they have the same spirit, hence the description that he rises out of the bottomless pit.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I just found this in an article on the main site. You maybe most interested in #8.

https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-prophecy/gog-antichrist-armageddon-presence-god/

What do we know from scripture about the Antichrist?

1. The Antichrist will be an End-Time leader who will uproot three leaders in his rise to power over ten kings (Daniel 7:8, 24).
  2. The Antichrist is restrained from rising to power and being revealed as the man of lawlessness, the son of destruction (perdition) until God’s restraining force is removed out of the way (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 6-8).
  3. The Antichrist will confirm a strong covenant (peace covenant) with Israel for a period of seven years (Daniel 9:27).
  4. The Antichrist will break the covenant in the middle of the seven years (Daniel 9:27).
  5. The Antichrist will enter a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem and declare himself to be God, exalting himself above all gods (2 Thessalonians 2:4).
  6. The Antichrist will demand to be worshipped as God and will seek to kill all who refuse to worship him and his image (Revelation 13:15).
  7. The Antichrist will be empowered by Satan (and given authority by God) over every tribe and nation and will be worshipped by everyone on earth whose name is not recorded in Christ’s book of life (Revelation 13:7-8).
  8. In his satanically possessed form, the Antichrist is referred to as “the beast.” He is the beast out of the abyss, and the beast out of the sea (Revelation 11:7; Revelation 13). This title is in direct opposition to Christ’s role as the “lamb” of God (Revelation 5:6-13).
  9. Supernatural authority is granted to the Antichrist to act (to do his own will and the will of Satan) for a specific period of forty-two months (3 ½ years) (Revelation 13:5).
  10. The Antichrist will be killed by Jesus Christ at His second coming at the end of the War of Armageddon (2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:19-20).
  11. The Antichrist will be killed by Christ but then cast alive (resurrected) into the lake of fire (Revelation 19:20).

I would agree with everything Chris has written above, except I would question one part of the last two points (10 and 11.) I do not think that the text should force us to think that the AC must be killed and then resurrected in order to be thrown "alive" into the Lake of Fire. It may be that that will happen; but that may be a matter of reading something into Scripture, rather than what is actually there.

2 Thessalonians 2:8 says only that Christ will "make an end of" (Greek ἀναιρέω) the AC. Now, admittedly this word was often used --by metonomy-- to mean "to kill" or "to slay" And those are the words some translations use. But Greek word actually comes from the convincing of two other words that together literally mean to "take up" or "take away". So it does not have to be interpreted as "to kill" but simply "to take away" or "to make an end of".

Further, I do not think Scripture shows this event referred to in 2 Thessalonians 2:8 necessarily precedes Revelation 19:20. In fact, it could well be concurrent with it. Revelation 19:20 says the AC is first "captured," "seized," "taken" (Greek πιάζω) and then is "cast alive into the Lake of Fire." His being "made an end of" or "taken away" (2 Thessalonians 2:8) as far as this world is concerned and his being cast alive into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 19:20) need not be separate events. The being "cast alive" into the Lake is what "makes an end" of the Antichrist.

But I may be wrong and Chris may be right in this matter. The reason for my post is simply to present the other possibility, so that someone does not take as gospel (pardon the pun) that which may not necessarily be gospel, so to speak.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree with everything Chris has written above, except I would question one part of the last two points (10 and 11.) I do not think that the text should force us to think that the AC must be killed and then resurrected in order to be thrown "alive" into the Lake of Fire. It may be that that will happen; but that may be a matter of reading something into Scripture, rather than what is actually there.

2 Thessalonians 2:8 says only that Christ will "make an end of" (Greek ἀναιρέω) the AC. Now, admittedly this word was often used --by metonomy-- to mean "to kill" or "to slay" And those are the words some translations use. But Greek word actually comes from the convincing of two other words that together literally mean to "take up" or "take away". So it does not have to be interpreted as "to kill" but simply "to take away" or "to make an end of".

Further, I do not think Scripture shows this event referred to in 2 Thessalonians 2:8 necessarily precedes Revelation 19:20. In fact, it could well be concurrent with it. Revelation 19:20 says the AC is first "captured," "seized," "taken" (Greek πιάζω) and then is "cast alive into the Lake of Fire." His being "made an end of" or "taken away" (2 Thessalonians 2:8) as far as this world is concerned and his being cast alive into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 19:20) need not be separate events. The being "cast alive" into the Lake is what "makes an end" of the Antichrist.

But I may be wrong and Chris may be right in this matter. The reason for my post is simply to present the other possibility, so that someone does not take as gospel (pardon the pun) that which may not necessarily be gospel, so to speak.

The above you referenced was not what I said, but was actually a quote from the article that I linked to in that post. :)

But now that you brought it up! :lol :heh I do agree with them nonetheless as the AC being killed by Jesus at his return. I believe it is also the vast majority view of Bible prophecy teachers and conservative Christianity.

I will have to look at Dr. Arnold's book FOTM (I can't access it right now as my mother-in-law is sleeping in the front bedroom where the book is and I doubt she would want to be woken for me to look for a book! :lol ) as I remember vaguely something about where he says that Satan has tried to counterfeit all the miracles that God does in the Bible. That with Jesus killing the AC, then resurrecting him, and throwing him in the lake of fire would somehow shadow Jesus dying, being resurrected, and being the firstfruits of those in Heaven. Except for in the AC's situation he will be killed, resurrected, and be thrown into the lake of fire as the firstfruits of Hell. :eek If the AC was not killed, then this could not play out like Dr. Arnold had suggested.

Anyway, I think the below puts the Greek words in proper perspective. It goes further on with the Greek word meanings and confirms what you said in some places, but I still believe the traditional view that the AC is killed, resurrected, and then thrown alive in the lake of fire. I can't think of any other better usage for the words "slay, kill" than their normal meanings. I think digging down and searching the meanings of the original words can be good, but there are times when doing that results in "hairsplitting" and the obvious meaning is lost. JMHO.

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teach.../05_2Thess_2_8-12/2Thess_2_8-12_Notes.htm?x=x

Snapshots of The Beginning & The End of the man of lawlessness (2 Thess. 2:8)​

Paul is compressing the timetable of the existence of the man of lawlessness.
In this single verse we see the "starting line" and the "finish line" -- but we do not see the events that will take place between the two.

His beginning:

• After the Restrainer steps aside, the man of lawlessness will be revealed.
  • Will be revealed (apokalupto) = unveiled, made known to the world.
  • Notice the passive voice -- an external force will do the revealing of the man of lawlessness. He will not reveal himself, but God will permit Satan to unveil him and energize him (see 2 Th 2:9).

His End:​

• Whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth...​

• The Lord Jesus Christ will slay the Antichrist at some future moment in history.
    • Will slay (anaireo) = will bring to an end, do away with, take out of the way. This word emphasizes the means by which he will be slain.
    • How will He accomplish this? A mere spoken word from Christ would be enough to slay the man of lawlessness. This image is also used in Isa 11:4; 30:33; Rev 1:16; 19:15; 19:21.
  • ...and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming.​

• Bring to an end (katargeo) = render useless, deprive of force or power. This word emphasizes the totality or absoluteness of his destruction.
    • When will this happen? At Christ's appearance when He comes to judge the world and rescue His people Israel.
    • Appearance (epiphaneia) of His coming (parousia) = combines two terms that are used for the coming of Christ, which in the context clearly emphasizes the Second Coming of Christ at the end of the Tribulation period.
    • Three Greek words used for the "coming" of the Lord Jesus Christ:

apokalupsis (2 Th 1:7)Emphasizes the revelation of God's purpose and plan.
      epiphaneia (2 Th 2:8)Emphasizes the manifestation of the power of God.
      parousia (2 Th 2:8)Emphasizes the presence of the Lord with His people.

We should be very careful to let the context dictate the meaning, however, because these words are variously used to describe Christ's coming at the Rapture, His Second Coming in judgment, and even the coming of the Antichrist. Usage in context determines meaning.
  • This verse is reminiscent of Dan 7:16 -- "his dominion will be taken away, annihilated and destroyed forever" (also see Dan 11:45).