How long after you were saved did you know your spiritual gift?

Sowen

I thought I knew what I was called to do, but it's never seemed right—probably because it was something I sort of fell into because others tell me I'm good at it. But often, I doubt that's what I'm actually called to do. Is this indication that I'm not called to do it?

When I doubt, I fall back on what I know we're all called to do (evangelize, pray, help wherever we can, etc.). Recently, I've realized that perhaps I'm called to do one of the things I fall back on because that thing is on my mind constantly. Is this indication that it's actually my spiritual gift?

Anyhoo, any advice or experience regarding this from brothers and sisters who've been in the Lord longer than I have is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
There are so many things that can be said about determining the gifts the Holy Spirit enables us with. Others will chime in with their understandings for sure, so I will just say one thing: If you are compelled to do it and to continue to do it, then maybe the Lord is showing you the gift. I speak, teach, preach. Sometimes I do not want to, sometimes I would rather cave to other distractions, but I continue to do it because I can't keep my silly mouth shut about Jesus. :) It has lost me all kinds of friends and even brought tears and pain at times, but I cannot deny what I know to be true and 100% sure.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
because I can't keep my silly mouth shut about Jesus.
How you phrased that cracked me up. :lol

I thought I knew what I was called to do, but it's never seemed right—probably because it was something I sort of fell into because others tell me I'm good at it. But often, I doubt that's what I'm actually called to do. Is this indication that I'm not called to do it?

I agree with mikhen7. What others may tells us and what God may be prompting us can be two different things. I would certainly be praying about this (I'm sure you are :) ) and just kind of paying attention to what directions you are finding yourself consistently, persistently, gently prompted towards.

You may already be operating in your gifts but not realize it. This happened to me. I was just busy focused on taking in God's word and learning, but gradually (over a few years actually) I realized that there was something I would consistently do that I felt , well, as mikhen7 said, compelling from the heart to do. Finally I realized that this may be one of God's gifts. I've personally felt great joy in exercising God's gifts as I love how others are affected in helpful, God honoring ways.

Try not to stress too much about it.....God will be working in you whether you realize it or not and you might recognize it later. :)

athenasius

I still don't know for sure. I keep hoping it's not actually teaching. I always end up teaching or writing. I know I talk my head off here. If that is a gift, great, but I often remind myself "in a multitude of words, there lacketh not a little sin. It's from Proverbs 10:19. The Amplified puts it this way
Proverbs 10:19 Amplified Bible (AMP)
When there are many words, transgression and offense are unavoidable,
But he who controls his lips and keeps thoughtful silence is wise.

And another one I use to cork myself off if I'm a bit extra fizzy and gabby is this one
James 3:1 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

3 Not many [of you] should become teachers (self-constituted censors and reprovers of others), my brethren, for you know that we [teachers] will be judged by a higher standard and with greater severity [than other people; thus we assume the greater accountability and the more condemnation].

The New King James still says the same thing
James 3:1 New King James Version (NKJV)

3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

Yet there are times when Jeremiah 20:9 just seems to describe the way it is. No matter how hard I try to stay quiet and behave myself, the words come out. Mikhen here reminded me of it the other day. It is so true.

And I can't help remembering Bible passages that pertain to whatever we are talking about so I'm giving way and not even trying to behave myself there. I wonder if I come across as holier than thou, or preachier than most but I can't stand it so I give way, and the Bible stuff just pops out. I know I'm a woman, and shouldn't be teaching a mixed crowd, but I pretend I'm not teaching. I'm just "encouraging" or "sharing a Scripture". Hopefully that makes it the gift of encouragement. And this isn't church, which also helps.

Jeremiah 20:9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
9 But if I say, “I will not remember Him
Or speak anymore in His name,”
Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
And I am weary of holding it in,
And I cannot endure it.

ByGod'sGrace

When I doubt, I fall back on what I know we're all called to do (evangelize, pray, help wherever we can, etc.). Recently, I've realized that perhaps I'm called to do one of the things I fall back on because that thing is on my mind constantly. Is this indication that it's actually my spiritual gift?

Anyhoo, any advice or experience regarding this from brothers and sisters who've been in the Lord longer than I have is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think our spiritual gifts actually make us happy, too, and fill our spirits....a super cool win-win from the Lord. I knew when I was in my teens that I had a lot of empathy for others and it took a long time, and still I'm learning, but I believe my spiritual gift is mercy and encouragement. I love lifting people up with my words of love and encouragement. My sisters tell me I always see the best in others.

TeeTee

Shortly after I was saved, aside from talking about the Lord to anybody. I would pray with anyone. Tell me whats going on and I will pray right there, on the spot with you. I had a line of people at my desk all the time talking/praying. I loved to pray for you. I felt so burden and there is much joy in prayer. My boss was very understanding and would call me and say church is over, get back to work. She was one of the best bosses I had. She never ridiculed. Was always nice about it. I guess I was overly enthused. Now I realize I am a intercessory pray person.The ever changing fluid list that is brought to the Lord. It is exciting and gives me much joy. The Lord will wakes me up at night at times to pray.Watchman on the wall. Vigilent and ready. The Lord always puts on my heart for people, cities, nations etc. It took me awhile to realize this and accept it as a gift. It took awhile to have the Lord shape and mold me.

NCannie

This was a tough question for me because I want to explain what I think and I don’t have the greatest way of communicating at times so things make sense. I have always been more of an emotional thinker and less a logical thinker. That actually has changed some with age. At the age of 21 a very tough situation happened in my life which turned my emotion into more empathy for others. I took that empathy and used it to minister to others in crisis situations. So I would consider it the gift of mercy and serving. For me though the way I think I really figured out my gift was whatever it was that I did well in was the one thing that I could find the most anguish in until I matured. For example, I could serve all day but then I would over commit through serving. I could emphasize with people but not create boundaries when dealing with their crisis. It took spiritual maturity and prayer to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide me instead of going in “hot” over any and all situations. This seems to be the same with my husband. His gift is knowledge and a cool head. However, all that knowledge can make others feel poorly when not presented in a humble way. All of that to say my aha moment came when I realized my greatest gift was my biggest hardship until I I listened to the Holy Spirit and let him lead me. Hope that makes sense and that may not be anyone else's experience.

Psalm37v4

Well considering the fact that I accepted Christ at a young age (11 or 12), drifted, came back, drifted again, and finally got serious in 1992, it wasn't until maybe 1998 or so that I found out my Spiritual Gifts. I had an idea, but I wasn't really sure. For instance I have always loved to sing, and I remember singing Christian music and praying, "Lord I would love to sing for you full time." In 1998 He revealed to me that He was calling me into music ministry. So for me, that was confirmation of one spiritual gift (encouragement). Over time, I also began to develop a love for praying for others. Then the Lord showed me intercessory prayer was also one of the gifts He gave me. To this day, I still love to sing to, encourage, and pray for not just His children but also those who haven't put their trust in Him. It is such fun to serve Jesus!

Kem

Citizen
Well I was saved at age 8 or so and am now 75. I still have no idea but finding out that particular thing was never considered much with Baptists so I may not know until I get to heaven. Never the less I do try to serve as God gives me opportunity. What I have done most of as far as serving in church is to be part of the tech teem as one of the ones who puts the music slides and video on the screen.

antitox

Some people's call begins early in life and could be limited. Others may have a call throughout their lives (like Billy Graham). Others have their call late in life, like myself. God's will fits the makeup of the person to the perfect plan that He has. It all works. In my case, I always had the desire, but the fulfillment wasn't until now at 64.

Goodboy

For me I need to separate what God called me to do and my gift. When I was 30, about 2 years after I was saved, I felt called to go into the jails and/or prisons. However, the church I attended had no such outreach and at the time I felt that my church was the only one with the full Gospel truth. It took me a few years to realize there were many good Church's with teaching just as good or better than the one I attended. Anyway, though I felt the call I did not pursue it.

When I was about 40 or so I began writing about spiritual truths from the Bible. The reason I did this was because that way I had plenty of time to get my thoughts together before sharing the point with someone. I continued to do this off and on until I was about 50. I think at that point I realized I had a gift of understand scripture and conveying it to people. So at 30 I felt a call to go into prisons and at 50 I realized I had a gift of understanding Bible Scriptures.

You may be wondering why I think understanding Bible Scriptures is a gift I have. Well it is the only way I can explain it. I hate reading and sad to say I don't really read or study the Bible that much. I would have thought that I would be the last person to understand and share what I like to call "Bible Truths". The understandings I would come up with I had never heard or been taught before and neither had most I shared with. However, they all fit perfectly with other bible passages. So what I am saying is that I have no skill on my own to do this, so then it must be a gift.

At 50 I was not going into the jails or prisons and using the excuse that my job, wife and two kids were taking up all of my time. I know, I know, pretty sorry excuse. In any case at 62, I was laid off of my job with no chance of getting another one with any where near the money I was making. So I ended up just retiring. Well though God did not say this to me audibly, in my mind I heard him say "Do you have time now?" So that is when I started going to prison ministry. Well after 3 years we moved too far away from the group I was doing prison ministry with so I stopped.

Well after about a year at our new house my wife and I had some marriage problems which many of you are aware of. Not too long after that I got involved in Jail ministry. What is interesting though is in prison ministry we would go with about 30 people into about 20 different prisons and I would just give my testimony from time to time. In the jail ministry there are only 3 of us going to the same jail, and we each teach again what I would call "Bible Truths". So now I am utilizing my God given gift of understanding and sharing Bible Truths with my calling of going into jails/prisons.

That is why I said I had to separate my calling from my gift. While it is quite possible that they happened at the same time, I did not acknowledge them at the same time.

Amazing God!!! :)

Last edited: