How is the weather in your area NOW??

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
MapleLeaf what zone are you in for gardening? Last day for snow/freezing?

I think @MapleLeaf is in 3a or 3b. There are different dates listed for AVERAGE last frost, ranging from May 15 to June 1 for either.

USDA isn't particularly accurate in some areas. Notably central and northern Minnesota, so maybe not north of here in Canada, either. Partly because weather stations closer to built up areas and stuff is extrapolated/estimated. Partly because the "new and improved" 2012 zones are NOT "improved." This year, winter just keeps on going and going and going and going up here [sigh] I've been wondering for some time if the "new and improved" 2012 USDA zones and the "new" windchill scale are related in some way to TPTB global warming agenda :mad

I'm south of @MapleLeaf and the zone map used to say on the line 3a here, but the most recent map now says 4b, with various places saying AVERAGE last frost May 10-15. But that zone's minimum temperature is warmer than what really happens where I am. I always consider Zone 2A for hardiness, just because of the occasional -45F to -50F night, wind chills (old scale), and prolonged extra cold spells like what happened a few winters ago. Right now, already 30sF here and temp is dropping. FROST/FREEZE tonight here. No precipitation predicted, but we could get some snow as moisture is squeezed out of the atmosphere because we've been having a lot of rain and it's humid. I've seen snow here every month except July.

Praying for the farmers, gardeners, crops, flowers, and pollinators. It's been extra cold and wet this spring (although we need the water because the aquifer is down and the drought last year)

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

So Ghoti we seem to have about the same growing season as you. Maybe 1 or 2 weeks longer than MapleLeaf. Thanks and enjoy.

I'm bringing in the veggies tonight (container gardening) :smile

And the potted flowers and elephant ears.

Tomorrow night and Sunday night supposed to be cold, too, so no planting of anything in window boxes or in the ground until next week :frown

MapleLeaf

I have a single pot of flowers I was sort of forced into getting from a church's womens' event and after 2 weeks it's pretty much all dead. I don't know. I got it out of reach from the cats (always a threat) and removed a slug (gross!) and have been watering it and keeping it in sunlight and away from frosty windows but no luck. One bloomed for a few days, one almost bloomed but then stopped and died. I don't know. I babysat that thing and no luck. I'm better with animals. I've rescued a few of our poorly trees and brought them back so maybe I should invest in a few orchard trees and have that kind of garden. Flowers and other regular plants just hate me.

Ghoti Ichthus

I have a single pot of flowers I was sort of forced into getting from a church's womens' event and after 2 weeks it's pretty much all dead. I don't know. I got it out of reach from the cats (always a threat) and removed a slug (gross!) and have been watering it and keeping it in sunlight and away from frosty windows but no luck. One bloomed for a few days, one almost bloomed but then stopped and died. I don't know. I babysat that thing and no luck. I'm better with animals. I've rescued a few of our poorly trees and brought them back so maybe I should invest in a few orchard trees and have that kind of garden. Flowers and other regular plants just hate me.

Maybe too much water or not enough light? Nothing lives inside my Dad's house because so little light (without a gro light) :frown

House could be too cool, too. Some house flowers need very warm.

Soil might need some help, although normally only use a fertilizer designed for use during blooming if blooms or buds on the plant. I've used an African violet bloom booster with African violets, but it didn't work on the other blooming flowers :frown

An LED gro light bulb in regular el cheapo aimable lamps on a pole lamp worked in Mom's nursing home room. I think it's called a mother-daughter lamp, and I put LED gro-bulbs in the daughter lamps, so not too much electricity.
It makes a difference in Dad's house, too.

Indoors, I have much better luck with (cat and dog safe) ferns and spider plants (and poisonous plants that were OK at the nursing home, but not in the house with four-legged furry critters) than flowering plants. I've killed perfectly healthy lillies (POISONOUS to cats/dogs) and perfectly healthy poinsettias (TOXIC to cats/dogs) :frown

I'm considering fake poinsettias and fake Easter lillies if I can find some realistic-looking ones not made with latex, recycled plastic, or anything else I'm allergic to :lol

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

Well, the cold I was complaining about has gone and been replaced by an unusual heat wave of 90+ degree days for May. One of the local weather guys predicts that in some areas around here today there could be heat records broken that had been held since 2011. Right now it's 90, but feels like 94, with an expected high of 91. It was like we went from being in the middle of March to the middle of July in just a few days. My favorite days are when its in the upper 60s to low 70s, warm enough to open the windows, but cool enough not to use the ac. This spring we haven't gotten many of those days ~ it's either too cold or too hot. But, the cool spring temps briefly return this coming Tuesday when the high will only be 65. Then Wednesday begins temps in the 70s and 80s. Btw, is the weather just crazy in my area or are others experiencing these abnormal highs and lows for this time of year? :scratch

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

A little thin ice on the lip and around the edges of the bird bath early this morning. Melted quick as a bunny after the sun came up.
40sF, cloudy, and off-and-on rain, drizzle, mist, and damp. Not supposed to get any warmer today.

athenasius

I'm glad you included the part about being in NJ. I had a moment of heart jump when I saw your temp and know you're (usually) in AK :eek :lol
You and me both. I'm just catching up and I was thinking oh boy, if Alaska's up there like that I better phone the rellies in Whitehorse Yukon to check on them. Sigh, New Jersey, ok, all's well. :lol

We've been cold and wet. Don't mind either but today got really hot and sunny all of a sudden, and that is NOT good news as we need a cool wet June to make it thru the fire season without major fires.

TimeWarpWife

Yesterday we went to visit my MIL and when we got to her house it was 91 and mostly sunny, but off in the distance dark clouds were starting to form. It wasn't long after we left that we ran into a severe thunderstorm ~ pouring rain, lightning, and thunder. Traffic was crawling because it was raining so hard that you had a hard time seeing the road even with the wipers on high. It took us about an hour and a half to make a normal 45 minute trip. When we finally made it home, it was still raining, but not pouring like it had been earlier, and the temp had dropped to 68.