How important is being right?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I've noticed here and in my day to day life that sometimes discussing doctrinal differences upsets people. That raises the question for me, is it more loving to correct even though the discussion can hurt someone's feelings or make them feel uncomfortable, or is it more loving to back off to spare how they feel?

I normally err toward correction, and I know I've upset people because of it. Are there some beliefs that are worth correcting and others that aren't? I'd like to hear people's thoughts

Amethyst

Angie ... †
*IMO*

I think it depends on whether the belief is a help or a hindrance to the salvation message. If it is then it is always important to make sure an understanding is come to or where this board stands on an issue.
For instance the doctrine of foreknowledge and predestination is extremely important to the gospel message.

But other topics that are not relevant to that, I think depends on the individual situation and if the person with whom you are speaking seems receptive to opposing opinions at the time.
Sometimes it is hard to discern and I know I have slipped up and stepped in when I should have just let it go and let it be!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Good answer Amethyst. :nod And great question Salluz!

I also think that the manner in which truth is shared is important as well. While God's truth will offend in itself as Christ has said, our approach is important, even as we share doctrinal truths:

A gentle answer turns away anger,
but a harsh word stirs up wrath.

The tongue of the wise makes knowledge attractive...

Proverbs 15:1-2

Furthermore, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; and he pondered and searched out and arranged many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find delightful words, even to write correctly words of truth.

The words of the wise are like [prodding] goads, and these collected sayings are [firmly fixed in the mind] like well-driven nails; [b]they are given by one Shepherd
. Ecc 12:9-11 AMP

The servant of the Lord must not participate in quarrels, but must be kind to everyone [even-tempered, preserving peace, and he must be], skilled in teaching, patient and tolerant when wronged. He must correct those who are in opposition with courtesy and gentleness in the hope that God may grant that they will repent and be led to the knowledge of the truth [accurately understanding and welcoming it], and that they may come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will. 2 Timothy 2:24-26

With those subjects that I find can cause contentions easily but are a matter of conscience I tend to keep to myself my thoughts, unless there is one who's really in the need of some assurance, perhaps wrestling with their consciences and troubled. Even then I may not share my full thoughts or perhaps share my own experiences without telling others what to do and to encourage seeking the Lord for His guidance.

If there's a disagreement on matters of conscience I back away quickly, knowing that the Lord may have something different for that person, in line with the principle in this passage:

So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up.

Don’t tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else if it might cause another believer to stumble.
Romans 14:19-21

Keep in mind that we are all going to fall short at times but that's where we can get back up, seek God, learn & grow (really important! :) ) and get back on God's path.

Last edited:

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I don’t like correcting people, but we are command to reprove, rebuke with all long suffering also speak the truth in love.

Yep, King David was thankful for correction:

Let the godly strike me!
It will be a kindness!
If they correct me, it is soothing medicine.
Don’t let me refuse it.

146:5

Then there's using discernment:

Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return.
Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.
So don’t bother correcting mockers;
they will only hate you.
But correct the wise,
and they will love you.
Instruct the wise,
and they will be even wiser.

Proverbs 9:7-9

“Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy. Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.

Matthew 7:6

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I don't care much for debating. I'll usually give my point of view on the topic and preferably leave it at that. Most topics have been discussed many times here, so I don't always give my two cents worth on something I've already said something about a dozen other times, but I usually do... I enjoy it when there is a new topic on something I'd not considered before.

Sometimes people get pretty emotional over some points that the Bible doesn't seem to provide clarity on. I don't understand that as I know whatever God does is best and right and just. I try not to disturb those who seem to be upsettable over a topic, so I try to be careful about how I word things, but sometimes careful wording isn't enough.

There are some areas of eschatology where there are big differences among us. That doesn't really bother me but sometimes I wonder about the lack of logic in some conclusions about what is coming. I have a specific topic in mind but won't mention it so the thread doesn't get hijacked.

I think it's important for people to voice their opinions even if that rattles some feathers. I may think I'm right on a topic, of course, but that doesn't mean that I am. Afterall, my brain is only about the size of a handful of walnuts...

Unless it's an indisputable doctrinal topic, then it's really not about correcting, reproving, or rebuking, but about the sharing of opinions on a matter.

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
I normally err toward correction, and I know I've upset people because of it. Are there some beliefs that are worth correcting and others that aren't? I'd like to hear people's thoughts
Perfect way to word your concern and perfect attitude. I will just read what others have to say....thank you very much for this thread Salluz.
God bless
Albert

Psalm37v4

Hated and laughed at by the world but loved by God
Having been involved in arguments with my family and others about certain biblical topics, patterns, etc. what I do is pray about it. If the Lord wants me to post the truth, or my opinion, I will. But I won’t force people to agree.
I have had to deal with a snotty in law Who says “believe what you want just don’t force your beliefs on others.” She has accused me of shoving my beliefs on to her and forcing her to believe as I do, something I have never done AFAIK. I’ve tried to apologize to her and correct her but she will have none of it. After much prayer, the Lord said to simply share the truth and let Him do the rest. I also make a point of saying, you don’t need to agree with me, just read this, pray and think about it.

So, while it’s important to correct people, we cannot expect people to automatically change their minds and agree with us. It’s just like when you witness to unsaved people… All we can do is plant the seeds. We must let the Lord do the rest.

Wings Like Eagles

I've noticed here and in my day to day life that sometimes discussing doctrinal differences upsets people. That raises the question for me, is it more loving to correct even though the discussion can hurt someone's feelings or make them feel uncomfortable, or is it more loving to back off to spare how they feel?

Like others who have commented, I think that when it is a point that counters sound doctrine, we have a duty to "...contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints..." The word "contend" in the Greek actually means to "struggle"--in other words, "wrestle". It does NOT mean that we should be rude, call people names, etc. That is what those who belong to the world do and it should not be part of our behaviour. Sometimes, it is difficult to relay in writing our concern for those who hold non-biblical positions and who are teaching them to others. We are nothing if we are not about Truth more than anything else. It is definitely NOT loving for us to honour someone's feelings above the truth. If an argument becomes heated, it is probably best to call a time out, and let the verbal wrestling match cool off before coming back to it, praying, in the meantime that the Holy Spirit would inform us and the other party of what truth He wants us to bring to prominence. It is probably also important to ask the person's forgiveness, if we have offended them in some way, as well. But shrinking back from what we know is true for fear of offending is cowardice. The gospel always offends those who are perishing. We just want to make sure that it is not we who are doing the offending.

There is Only one subject that I will debate, defend, or even argue and that is Salvation because it is literally the difference between Heaven or Hell.
If I believe a person is sincere I would do all that is within me to help him or her understand the Gospel. One of the saddest verses in the Bible is Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
Just think for about 2000 years his words have been haunting him

Batman

Correction of error (especially Biblical and faith/belief errors) is Godly supported but can be done with a mean spirit or taken that way even if not the intent.

Kerbluey

Correct. I used to be lost in Word of Faith. It was all the debate and correction on Rapture Ready……some of it quite heated…..that God used to set me free. I’m forever grateful and hope to be able to thank those people one day in eternity. My feelings were hurt and I got pretty angry, but I look back now and laugh at my reactions. I never joined in, but I lurked obsessively. My point is it may be a lurker or listener who reaps the benefits of correction.

Back