How do you pray?

dreamermind

This may sound crazy (which I’m ok with) and hard to explain, but when I pray in my mind, I picture God up high in the middle of my thoughts, the Holy Spirit is always up on the right side, and Jesus is close to my right side. All connected of course but always in the same place. Does anyone else pray this way or differently?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I don't have any visualisation process when i pray like you have stated above , i usually would just say the Lord's prayer first and then get into a more specific prayer which is usually a mixture of thanks giving, protection of fellow christians facing persecution around the world, my daily needs and prayers for others health and problems .

InsuranceGuy

I really have no plan in place when I pray. I just start and who knows where it may end up. Many nights I fall asleep praying. During the day, my prayers are usually more specific, like asking forgiveness as soon as I've sinned, praying for a particular person or just giving thanks. Over the years, my prayer is much more frequent and I feel there is a real relationship when I'm praying now. The visualization you speak of sounds pretty neat. :)

dreamermind

I really have no plan in place when I pray. I just start and who knows where it may end up. Many nights I fall asleep praying. During the day, my prayers are usually more specific, like asking forgiveness as soon as I've sinned, praying for a particular person or just giving thanks. Over the years, my prayer is much more frequent and I feel there is a real relationship when I'm praying now. The visualization you speak of sounds pretty neat. :)
Well we’re supposed to seek His face right? I suppose I do that in my own way, I guess I feel I have a different relationship with all three, or my prayers are geared towards one or the other depending on the prayer.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Do you guys find yourselves sometimes trying to pray and you kind of get stuck or hit a blank spot during prayer trying to remember things you need to pray for and you struggle to recall these issues and you go around in circles during the prayer trying hard to remember who and what to pray for ?

I do sometimes and I kind of feel ashamed because it feels like repetitive babble

InsuranceGuy

Do you guys find yourselves sometimes trying to pray and you kind of get stuck or hit a blank spot during prayer trying to remember things you need to pray for and you struggle to recall these issues and you go around in circles during the prayer trying hard to remember who and what to pray for ?

I do sometimes and I kind of feel ashamed because it feels like repetitive babble
Yes, that happens to me as well. I try to not be repetitive, but know that I often am. Like you, I get that ashamed feeling.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I have a list of people who I pray for almost daily. Talk about repetition.
I pray in my mind and do try to imagine The Father and Jesus at times....at least imagine a bright place with a throne.

I do have a prayer book to write specific requests in.

I like to pray my whole list in the mornings, then throw praise and 'chit chat' up during the day. And I mean that respectfully. Example...Lord, help me clean this kitchen......Lord, thank you for helping me.....Lord, look at this daylily. It's stunning......Lord, help the kids get to school safely....etc...

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
I picture God up high in the middle of my thoughts, the Holy Spirit is always up on the right side, and Jesus is close to my right side
That's cool, I have thought about Father seated on the throne but when I pray I don't visualize that, but when praying for healing for someone I do visualize Jesus touching them, probably because I am asking him to touch them and help/heal them, or take/reduce their pain/suffering. I always pray silent prayers, just a thing with me, don't want the enemy to hear, but Mary and I do pray out loud together each day. And like other members I have to use my prayer book with requests just to keep it all straight, and it is a little repetitive but I change it up some, but it has to be done each day, It is clear to me.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member

I do. I usually apologize that my prayers are weak, because I am weak. I pray for strength and reminders from the Holy Spirit as to what I should pray, and I ask for Him to help me pray. It's a Bible promise:

"And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." II Corinthians 12:9

"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." Romans 8:26

(ETA: but I also keep a small prayer journal to help me remember some things.)

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
I just start praying, usually starting with "Dear God..." or "Dear Heavenly Father..." and then I can be doing anything while I am praying, just because I like to feel like I am actually talking to God like He is with me (I've prayed while driving, or painting, or writing, or washing dishes, or reading my Bible and journaling). It helps me to envision that I am His child and He opens His arms to me and I snuggle in His lap and He is holding me while I talk to Him. That actually broke me out of the fear I used to have that I had to be "perfect" and in the right setting or right mind-frame before praying. I used to think "Melissa, you're not concentrating hard enough, you're not actually praying!" So I didn't pray as much, because I felt like my prayers were never good enough (legalism!!). But the BIble says we are to go boldly before the throne of grace, so the more we talk to God, the better, and it doesn't have to be a pretty show...just be real and honest, because God already knows.

Edited to say: I love the verse Romans 8:26. I've definitely had times of intense heartbroken weeping, reaching out to God, but I have no words. God knows us at our deepest level, and when we reach out to Him at our most broken state, it is a beautiful moment of faith and intimacy.

Romans 8:26 (NASB): "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

Last edited:
I usually start with "Father in heaven"...

...and turn into a stuttering, blubbering mess from there. I think most of my prayers have to be re-written by the Holy Spirit (and towled off from all the blubbering and crying on my part, and even then, I think a couple of the angels have to toss it in an industrial-size dryer for about 15 minutes before the Lord gets it). I wouldn't be surprised when i pray, the Lord asks Michael or Gabriel (whoever's closer) to roll out the rubber blubber mat™ so it won't drip all over the throne room.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Many nights I fall asleep praying. :)
I'm so exhausted I always fall asleep praying. Sometimes I don't even get through the child's prayer "Now I lay me down to sleep" :cloud9

I'm always praying when I'm awake. These days, it's often something as simple as "Oh God, please help!" or sometimes not even the "please help" part :cry

How long, o Lord
Dear God, please hurry up! Please send Your Son, Jesus Christ, back soon quickly tonight :pray :pray :amen :amen :rapture :rapture

:armor :pray :bible :pray :amen :knight

:bible Ephesians 6:10-20

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
I often struggle with prayer. I get down on myself that I don't pray as much as I imagine others do.

I am pretty good about praying for myself in the mornings. It's about 5-15 minutes. I sit up in bed and put a blanket over my head. It helps me concentrate and feel like I'm in a little tent with God. I mostly pray for my walk....direction, obedience, wisdom and that I will display Galatians fruit to everyone I come into contact with. If I don't start my day like this, I usually have much to repent for at the end of the day.

Intercessory prayer has always been one of my weak areas. Being disciplined to do it, because I don't enjoy the struggle. My mind wanders, or I will run out of words. Or I won't know what to say. My husband and I have a little prayer board with the photos or written names of people and ministries we have committed to pray for regularly. And a world map. We try to pray together every night. Truthfully, it's about 5 times per week. We last about 20 minutes. We are selective of who we add to the board. Because if we added every person and situation we come across, we would have to pray 12 hours a day. The needs in this world are overwhelming.

I never look at prayer requests (including here) unless I am ready to sit and pray right then and there. Otherwise I inevitably beat myself up for not following through with praying. Especially if I have said "I'll be praying for you." Uggh!

Sometimes I will get a nudge to pray for a certain thing or individual. The Holy Spirit will sit in my drivers seat and I feel like an instrument. I love those times. I will go about an hour. Fasting puts me into another gear. I really should do that more.

With so many repeat situations, and my unsaved mom and family, I have simply run out of words. All I have left are tears. Or prayers consisting of nothing but "Help Lord." "Please, God." "My Mom...please Lord.."

Jette_516

When this happens to me, I sit quietly for a moment to regroup. If nothing comes to me, I ask the Holy Spirit to intercede in my shortcomings. Jesus knows what it is like to live in a human brain and the noise and distractions that accompany it. ;)

ChildofLight

I wish I were a prayer warrior, but I am not. Also, I’m a little envious of those that say prayers so eloquently. I say prayers before meals. Most other times it is just brief and to the point. Mostly I just talk to Him thanking Him and if traveling even to town sometimes I ask Him to get us safely there and back home.
It was kind of funny a while back. I asked a friend to help me load goats in the back of the pickup to take to auction. Had to load them up at 7 in the morning and get to auction and back to get to work. Sometimes those goats get ornery and jump the fence or won’t go in the chute and the pickup. It usually takes 2 and my brother is unable to help me anymore. I told my friend to stand at the back of the truck and when I run the goats up the chute into the pickup to untie the gates and slam them shut on the pickup shutting the goats in before they run back down the chute. I said my prayer “Please Lord help me get these goats loaded”. The goats ran up the chute and up to the front of the pickup bed. My friend tried to get his side of the gate untied and shut while I ran out of the pen and slammed the one on my side shut. I said “Thank you God for helping get the goats loaded easily”. My friend looked at me kinda funny like why did he come out to help. I didn’t even need him. I said it goes much easier with His help.