How do You guys discern

9racingteam

if a pastor whether he is on radio, tv, or invited to come and speak at the local church you attend is speaking truth and not lies? Should a person be concerned when the denomination you have attended all your life invites other pastors from outside your denomination?
Thank you for your help,
Jeff

Spartan Sprinter 1

1st golden rule is to pray to God for understanding then checking your bible to see whether said visiting pastor's sermon reconciles with the context of what the bible is saying.

After you're confident on the interpretation of the scripture , probably just privately pull aside your pastor to address your concerns with their interpretation and see what they have to see.

If they're wrong get out of that church

If you have trouble sort of interpreting contexts of scripture or reconciling whether the message you heard is correct, pray first and then raise the question on here.

I find that the wisdom of our brothers and sisters on this form is quite good as they've spent years studying scripture , but always pray for answer or understanding first before anything else.

I hope that helps

RonJohnSilver

I agree with Spartan Sprinter. As to the denomination question, remember that there are true believers in all of the conventional groups (not counting the cults), but note that there are also unbelievers in those same groups. Comparing the speakers comments with the Bible is your best resource.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I agree also. And RJS makes a valid comment about denominations. I am non-denominational but have preached in a number of denominational churches: Baptist, Open Bible, Brethren, Pentecostal, Southern Baptist. Denominations are man's means of cataloging and thus attempting to ensure like beliefs. But they are far from fool-proof and can lead to legalism and variance from the Truth. What IS really important is that those who preach and teach do so based exclusively on the Word of God and the Faith once delivered, and that those who receive their preaching and teaching do so in the same manner as did the Bereans.

GotGrace

What IS really important is that those who preach and teach do so based exclusively on the Word of God
Amen and again I say amen.
If you are hearing false teaching the Holy Spirit can make you to feel unsettled and cause you to question things.
If your church is having guests speakers extensively then I would question that for sure. Like "why are we having all these guest speakers?"

9racingteam

Thank you. That’s what I figured you guys who say. Take it too the word of god. What about pastors who are asked to resign from there church and go on to start another church. Example would be Mark Driscoll. What about guys like Bill Hybels and James McDonald if they would start a new church after they left there former church? What about Jimmy swaggart? The Assembly of God asked him to go to counseling but jimmy did not and pulled his church from the Assembly of God and kept on preaching.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Actually Jimmy Swaggart did not "keep on preaching". He stepped down from the pulpit and relinquished it to outside pastors. Then after roughly a year in prayer sessions twice a day, seven days a week, with prayer warriors and in intensive biblical counseling with men of God who lived what they proclaimed, he resumed the pulpit. He is highly respected by many Assemblies of God pastors and leaders, some of whom preach at his church in Baton Rouge and support his worldwide television and Bible ministry. Now in his mid-eighties he has a stable of ministers who carry the main load, among them his son who had developed his own world-wide evangelistic ministry and his grandson who heads a huge youth ministry that he built without using pop songs, flashing lights, games or gimmicks but built by relying solely on sound gospel songs and the straightforward preaching of God's Word from the King James Bible.

Cindy S.

Read the bible and you will have discernment to spot false teaching.
I read the whole bible for 2 reasons. I was looking for answers to a problem I was going through and also I wanted to know when someone was trying to deceive me.
Read the word and hide it in your heart. I'm always being reminded of verses that apply to what I read in the news these days.
Blessed are those who read the word and do what it says.

Lynn

if a pastor whether he is on radio, tv, or invited to come and speak at the local church you attend is speaking truth and not lies? Should a person be concerned when the denomination you have attended all your life invites other pastors from outside your denomination?
Thank you for your help,
Jeff
Jeff, since I began to read my Bible in earnest, not just so I can put a check mark in the box for the day's reading, my discernment has improved immensely. I used to listen to a certain radio broadcast almost every day. I was so 'sure' of the guy's teaching, that I began reading the Bible through 'his' interpretation, not allowing the Holy Spirit to guide my understanding. So, be careful when listening to anyone's ideas. God's Word needs to be read prayerfully & with a sincere desire to understand & apply what is written there. Nowadays, I don't read the Bible with someone else's voice (radio minister, etc) inside my head. If we do that, we become idolaters of sorts.

joplin4

I would say the best way is to spend time with the Father. I'm reading a mystery story where a letter was sent by a kidnapper with the victim's name signed. The recipient noted that it didn't sound like the victim. How did he know? They were friends. They spent time together. The more time you have with the Father, the easier discernment becomes because His Spirit practically screams something isn't right.