How did you first hear of the Rapture? ❤

Epieikes

Short version...16 years old...visited boyfriend's "more conservative" youth group...watched a powerful movie that turns 50 this year (is that prophetic?)...mulled the truths for a few weeks, and gave my life to Jesus, mainline UMC front-row-churched all my life but not knowingly surrendered, on April 1, 1983.

Long version under "A Tale of Two Mikes" in the Personal Testimonies section. To Yahweh be the unbridled, uncontainable glory! Tag...who's next? ❤

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Short version...16 years old...visited boyfriend's "more conservative" youth group...watched a powerful movie that turns 50 this year (is that prophetic?)...mulled the truths for a few weeks, and gave my life to Jesus, mainline UMC front-row-churched all my life but not knowingly surrendered, on April 1, 1983.

Long version under "A Tale of Two Mikes" in the Personal Testimonies section. To Yahweh be the unbridled, uncontainable glory! Tag...who's next? ❤
Are you talking about Thief In The Night? I saw that movie also, and I think that is where I first heard about the rapture.

NewWine2020

Really good question Epiekes, and I'm excited to see what everyone else's answers are! :)

For me, it was as simple as finding a copy of Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth that belonged to my step mom. It both scared and fascinated me in the same way a horror film might have; I was like 11 or 12 but read at a level and was interested in things that were "advanced for my age" (read and fell in love with the Lord of the Rings in 4th grade).

Though it scared me and I could logically see that it could be very true I was not ready to yield to God, in fact, had a lot of misplaced anger towards what I THOUGHT was God that would not be resolved till much later in my adult life.

But it 100% played a role in sowing the seed.

alisani

Really good question Epiekes, and I'm excited to see what everyone else's answers are! :)

For me, it was as simple as finding a copy of Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth that belonged to my step mom. It both scared and fascinated me in the same way a horror film might have; I was like 11 or 12 but read at a level and was interested in things that were "advanced for my age" (read and fell in love with the Lord of the Rings in 4th grade).

Though it scared me and I could logically see that it could be very true I was not ready to yield to God, in fact, had a lot of misplaced anger towards what I THOUGHT was God that would not be resolved till much later in my adult life.

But it 100% played a role in sowing the seed.
That was one of the first books my mil put in my hand when I got saved.

Dave_97

I grew up in a Christian home, so growing up I’d always heard about it. Although not yet saved at the time I was always intrigued by not only the rapture, but also the book of revelation. It was like some type of scary section of the Bible my friend and I read during school in elementary haha.

Fast forward a few years shortly after I got a saved as a young adult, I had a dream about the event of the rapture (whether or not the dream was from God I don’t know). I won’t get into any details as I don’t want to go against forum rules and start any speculative talk as nobody knows the day nor hour. Anyways around that time of my early conversion to Christianity and the dream, I decided out of curiosity to search on Amazon for any End Times books. Coincidentally, a well known solid bible teacher of eschatology was trending on Amazon for his book release. I bought the book and devoured it in 2 days. After that I was introduced to more teachers by searching the that author up. People like Jan Markell, Andy Woods, Mark Hitchcock, Terry James, Pete Garcia Jeff Kinley, and so many more. Eventually I found my way to this forum as well.

I do think however, my interest to eschatology when I was young in elementary school laid the foundation for my interest in eschatology after I finally got saved. God was probably sovereignly planting the seeds for later in my life I think.

daygo

Difficult for me to say, long story. 2010 couldn't pray for Haiti earthquake so started thinking which led to me asking questions to myself, then step daughter came with Wayne grudges book systematic theology which led to me thinking back to time in church where I was after the service an elder came and said joking would you like to speak on the Book of Revelation I said no chance to scary so started to read end times then wife said there's a program on God TV so looked on that about end times then one of the guests hilton Sutton came on got his book and videos read the book watched all the videos. Then started reading books videos websites for about 5hrs a day for about 3yrs, and all that was just a taster could say a lot more, lot more offshoot is can't remember.

JamesSuth

Great topic! When I was a child a group called the 'Faith Mission' visited my village. I had been going to church because the Minister (pastor) had met me in the street and invited me to a youth group, and from that I was encouraged to go to church and I liked doing as I was told so I did. Anyway I don't recall really understanding anything in church. But I attended the Faith Mission events over a few weeks and they were extensively talking of the rapture, and how to get saved. Two things in particular stand out - a film evening and then a talk from an other speaker, not of the Faith Mission but invited during their event. I think the film (and when I say film I mean real film running through a projector!) was Thief in the Night, which dealt with the rapture, and the speaker followed that up another night by a serious talk on sin, eternal punishment and salvation through Christ. It terrified me and I was sure I wanted Christ in my life. Sadly, I had very little further Christian teaching from that point until much latter when I had access to it. However, it is a great memory because I believed, and perhaps my salvation is also very closely linked to hearing about the rapture. I realise that even our response to the Gospel is a gift from God, but due to my own experience I struggle to understand how anyone could not become a Christian when they hear of the rapture. It reminds me how important prayer is, unless God softens the heart nothing can lead to salvation.

Back