How can Democrat Candidates really say they are Christian?

Kevin Boyce

This story was in the Christian Post:
"8 Democrat presidential candidates who Have talked about their Christian faith"
https://www.christianpost.com/news/8-democrat-presidential-candidates-who-have-talked-about-their-christian-faith.html

My question is one I have been really wondering about. How can a party that agrees with, same-sex marriage and homosexual normality, transgender and all the other genders they have created, abortion and abolishing God from everything they can, really say they are Christians? If they have read the Bible they must not understand it or believe it at all. But they still want to say they have faith? In what?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We must read the Bible in Spirit and in Truth. Non-Believers will take what's in the Bible and make any point they want with it. If you're searching for the Truth when you read the Word, if you're indwelt by the Holy Spirit, you'll be shown the way and will want to walk that narrow path even though your sin nature may battle against those desires of your heart.

The USA from the onset was a country of Judeo Christian values and Christian churches were the norm. Today there are multitudes who do not know Jesus but who identify as Christians because that was the faith of their family or of the community they were raised in.

So these politicians are deceived because they are of this world, but they may well in fact believe they are Christians and will apply whatever morality they believe is right to their value system.

madcat

I think the answer is exactly what they say - MY “christian” faith (and I in tended to use a small “c”.
They consider faith like they do the other things you mentioned, something they want to identify with when it serves their purpose.
They don’t care about the part “known by their fruits”, nor “if you’re not for Me, you’re against Me”.
My parents were dems but when dems actually had some virtue. And many older people just think nothing has changed. At the age of 85, I explained to my mom what the dems of today support, and she had me take her the next am to the courthouse to officially change her party. (Unlike Barbara Bush who changed her party affiliation TO dem. when Trump was nominated at the GOP convention).
Unless you are off the wall nuts and have absolutely no access to information, there is no excuse for denying the truth of the Bible.
All the things God calls abominations are what they support, pretty much hook, line, and sinker.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I think the answer is exactly what they say - MY “christian” faith (and I in tended to use a small “c”.
They consider faith like they do the other things you mentioned, something they want to identify with when it serves their purpose.
They don’t care about the part “known by their fruits”, nor “if you’re not for Me, you’re against Me”.
My parents were dems but when dems actually had some virtue. And many older people just think nothing has changed. At the age of 85, I explained to my mom what the dems of today support, and she had me take her the next am to the courthouse to officially change her party. (Unlike Barbara Bush who changed her party affiliation TO dem. when Trump was nominated at the GOP convention).
Unless you are off the wall nuts and have absolutely no access to information, there is no excuse for denying the truth of the Bible.
All the things God calls abominations are what they support, pretty much hook, line, and sinker.
You are absolutely correct, sister. :sad

Cloud Watcher

Maybe they think they are Christians because their parents took them to church when they were young, or they haven't found something else with which to identify. They aren't muslim, hindu, atheist, etc. Maybe they know the Lord's prayer or the 23rd psalm or a few verses at random. Maybe they assume that all good people will automatically go to heaven, but have never been born again and repented of their sins. Perhaps they believe the Christmas story of Jesus, but haven't never made an effort to KNOW Him, to surrender their heart and life to Him as the Savior of the world.

I remember as a kid hearing about Jesus being crucified, and just thinking that some mean men didn't like Him so they killed Him. I had no idea that His death and resurrection had anything to do with me, until I was 24. It was then that my whole life changed and I started a relationship with Him.

So the little "c" Christian could metaphorically be like assuming you are a car because you are standing in a garage.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I like using the term True Believers for True Believers, and CINOs (christians in name only) kind of fits those that identify as Christians but do not know Christ... though I've not used the CINO moniker much at all. They're not really pretenders because they do think they're Christians, they just don't know any better and are most usually averse to having the Truth shared with them because they think they already know the truth.

Jan51

I think I understand your point, but can you please clarify what you believe is the difference between a Christian, and a biblical Christian? Is it possible better terms are Christians and carnal Christians?
There are Christians who fit the Bible definition of Christian. But there are many who identify as Christian who think a Christian is someone who tries to love others and do good, like Jesus, who was a good man who came to show us how to do good and be tolerant of all. They don't believe Jesus is God or the Bible is our authority (or maybe not even quite true). This kind of "Christian" can easily support all the things mentioned in the OP.

Andy C

There are Christians who fit the Bible definition of Christian. But there are many who identify as Christian who think a Christian is someone who tries to love others and do good, like Jesus, who was a good man who came to show us how to do good and be tolerant of all. They don't believe Jesus is God or the Bible is our authority (or maybe not even quite true). This kind of "Christian" can easily support all the things mentioned in the OP.
Ok, thats what I thought you meant. You did however use the name “Christian” for both groups. I agree with TT that there are indeed 2 groups, one being Christians, and the other CINOs. When you called both groups Christians, it was to me, a little misleading.

Thanks for the clarification, and as usual, your spot on!

Jan51

Ok, thats what I thought you meant. You did however use the name “Christian” for both groups. I agree with TT that there are indeed 2 groups, one being Christians, and the other CINOs. When you called both groups Christians, it was to me, a little misleading.

Thanks for the clarification, and as usual, your spot on!
The reason that immediately came to my mind was, that very day I had seen this type of post on Facebook by one of my lefty friends, saying THIS is a real Christian (one who "loves" the illegal immigrants, homosexuals, etc). I have several lefty FB friends like this, who are actually anti-religion and anti-Christian, but love to post memes that imply, "you who post a bunch of Bible stuff and call yourselves Christians are not the real deal--real Christians love/accept/tolerate all these people/behaviors that you Bible thumpers are down on."

Unfortunately, even in the church, we now see many leaders going in this direction too.

The name "Christian" is no longer clear in what it means. It means different things to different people. I would contrast it with the term "Bible-believing Christian."

JSTyler

Unfortunately, even in the church, we now see many leaders going in this direction too.

The name "Christian" is no longer clear in what it means. It means different things to different people. I would contrast it with the term "Bible-believing Christian."
It's interesting that the monikers are gray and fuzzy around the edges but most of the people you meet, once you get to know them a little, fall pretty clearly into recognizable patterns and categories. I work with Christians and Xians (think Christmas vs. Xmas).

Kerbluey

I wonder about their voters who make this claim as well. I have a close relative who I know is a believer but would vote dem. We discussed it, and her excuse...and that’s all it was....was there are bad and corrupt people in both parties. She has said she would’ve voted for Hillary because she didn’t like Trump’s attitude. Shaking my head. Fortunately she doesn’t vote.

Kerbluey

The reason that immediately came to my mind was, that very day I had seen this type of post on Facebook by one of my lefty friends, saying THIS is a real Christian (one who "loves" the illegal immigrants, homosexuals, etc). I have several lefty FB friends like this, who are actually anti-religion and anti-Christian, but love to post memes that imply, "you who post a bunch of Bible stuff and call yourselves Christians are not the real deal--real Christians love/accept/tolerate all these people/behaviors that you Bible thumpers are down on."
These are the people who will be giving gifts when those two pesky witnesses are killed.

TimeWarpWife

As I've posted before, several years ago I watched a program where a psychiatrist stated that politicians exhibit many of the characteristics of being psychopaths. The truth is that politicians will do and say anything to get elected, especially Democrat politicians. For a long time I found it hard to understand how unbelievers would believe a lie after God sent them "strong delusion," but seeing the insane unbiblical things unbelievers, and again especially Democrats, believe - murdering babies unborn and born is perfectly fine with them, sexual perversion is "normal," and all the other ungodly things they support - I see exactly how these people will believe a lie, they're already three-quarters of the way there now. :doh