How are you handling the social media aspect of the SC ruling?

UCT

I'm sure many of you have Facebook accounts as I do. It seems everyone has turned their pictures into rainbows. I've even had several friends on there come out as gay since yesterday. I have not commented on anything, but have seen the vast majority of people praising the decision to allow gay marriage in all 50 states. A very small group of my friends have defended marriage being only between a man and a woman. They have been slammed by everyone.

What is your approach? Best to stay out of it? Best to hate the sin and not the sinner? Best to jump in and defend "traditional" marriage? I have avoided Facebook mostly because of this. It is too tempting to start an argument, which would do nothing for anyone. It makes me sick though. Not the ruling as much as seeing nearly everyone praise the decision just so they fit in. I don't want to fit in. I hate keeping my mouth shut though. Since no one has asked me my thoughts directly, I haven't opened my big mouth and been banned again from Facebook. Yet.

livin_in_the_Son

This is the exact reason that I'm not on Facebook anymore. I was years ago, for the games, but decided that all the rhetoric want worth the stress.

I can't tell you what to do, but I will say this... you're absolutely right that arguing with these people won't do any good, and will probably bring attack on you... and there is a time and place to make a stand. Now is the first day of many that we will be forced to take a stand. Like it's been said, choosing not to stand is the same as making a choice.

If you don't say anything, you are the same as those who say, "I don't care, let them do what they want, just leave me out of it" .

You can make your stand in defense of your faith, and what the Bible tells us is truth... or you can delete those who will argue with you.... or you can ignore it. It's not going to go away, however, so whatever you do... pray about it.

This will become more of an issue as the days pass, this is really the first test in how much you're up to the challenge.

God bless. The battle has begun.

Pebbles

What is your approach?
I stay off social media altogether now (y'all are my SM) so I may not be the best person to give advice on it, but my two cents:

I hate keeping my mouth shut though. Since no one has asked me my thoughts directly, I haven't opened my big mouth and been banned again from Facebook. Yet.
That's pretty much how I feel sitting through my CJ classes. :) I completely understand. I have spoken up in class when I felt it was necessary (or perhaps when God felt I should), despite not having been asked to. It ain't fun, it's awkward, can start an argument, and can push some people away, BUT who knows- what you say may impact somebody without you ever knowing it. What's the worst they can do, unfriend you? Dislike a post? Or- gasp- ban you again, as you said? :reaction:p
Remember, the righteous are bold as a lion. :lion

It is too tempting to start an argument, which would do nothing for anyone.
That is one reason I don't bother with SM. It's like high school...SM encourages things like immaturity, narcissism, self-absorption, etc. It tends to draw people into unnecessary, time-wasting arguments- and I believe this is by design. :tin Don't let the comments drag you down to their level; say what you want to say and move on.

Now, this verse may be taken out of context or not apply here (not really sure), but I think this to myself whenever I feel I may not be behaving like I ought to be or am tempted to say something I know I shouldn't:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. ~
1 Corinthians 10:13.

Usually (usually being the key word here) pours water on the coals (occasional grumbling is a known side affect). :) Also remember that as unfair as it may be, our actions are representative of Christianity as a whole- people will judge an entire faith off the behavior of one. How's that for pressure to disengage if things turn argumentative? :D As for the inevitable name-calling and slandering...I've learned to ignore it and not take it personally. They usually end up making themselves look like the names they're calling you, without you ever having to say another word.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. ~ 2 Timothy 3:1-5

That was much longer than I intended...hope it makes sense. :)

Kem

Citizen
I am on FB but "friends" are limited to pretty much family and a few close friends. I have openly posted a few articles and not sure how all family members will receive it but in my case it will likely head off any pro gay comments since I am grandma and most are at least politely respectful.

Hol

Worships Him
I've got two FB pages, my son talked me into one in 2009. He got off in 2013, and recently rejoined. While he was off I opened a new page so I could follow a cousin who is having lots of health problems, and select who was on.

Today after I read your post I checked both. My new one is following events just like we do here. Sadly, my older page features my son in the FB gay colorings, a coworker, and several others -- plus no one said a bad word about homosexuality. Praying for my son to come home to Jesus ❤

Saintscruiser

I have a FB page but very rarely use it. I am a moderator on another site and if I'm able to stay on longer, I come over here. I feel the need to shut down any extra info about myself on the internet. I'm pretty much a home person on disability and get out to see my dr.'s, dentist, or my sister. I normally don't feel well (no sympathy please....that's not why I mentioned it), most of the time and have lost my housekeeper. She's got to be around here somewhere!!!!! :lol She was pregnant and had to quit. OF COURSE I understand. Who wouldn't? So, I'm doing more around here, and (I never thought I'd ever say this) I've enjoyed getting things a lot cleaner than she did. The problem is that they don't stay clean for more than a few hours!!!! Husband's are great aren't they??!!! So I am probably going to close my FB account.

Homosexual and lesbian marriage. Hmmmmmmmmm. Scriptures state....well we all know what the Bible says. It is not up to me to dictate what goes on in the privacy of people's bedrooms. Not only have they brought it out of privacy, they are shoving it into the faces of the American public. TV now has it in mega shows ..... all the networks. People are up in arms all over the nation about my state's flag...Mississippi's State flag, yet h&l marriage is okay! I'm not going to call them gay anymore. That used to be a great word meaning happy. As one person, I can't go up against the Supreme Court. I'm more upset over abortion than marriage between the same sex, because abortion is murder! WTG Supreme Court! Now all of this is legal. My heart is so heavy, but that won't change a vote. Since a h&l 'marriage' cannot procreate, they should be banned from having children. They won't listen to me on that one either. Where do they think the word sodomy came from? From the city Sodom......got burned by Almighty God, Bless His Holy Name, because of men having sex with men. I am so surprised that the rapture hasn't happened yet. Who knows.....maybe the anti-christ is a homosexual since he'll not know woman. Just an odd thought I'd throw out into the muck and mire. It's a sad day.:frown

Saintscruiser

I've got two FB pages, my son talked me into one in 2009. He got off in 2013, and recently rejoined. While he was off I opened a new page so I could follow a cousin who is having lots of health problems, and select who was on.

Today after I read your post I checked both. My new one is following events just like we do here. Sadly, my older page features my son in the FB gay colorings, a coworker, and several others -- plus no one said a bad word about homosexuality. Praying for my son to come home to Jesus ❤
I'll stand with you, Hol. :mope

Heistheway

Without FB, I wouldn't know what many of my great nieces and nephews were up to. But alas, many have "rainbow-ized" their avatars, much to my chagrin. Yesterday, was not a good day for me as far as that is concerned. But then again, then lessons are NOT up to me. When asked, I give my opinion, which happened yesterday and created an underground grumbling against me. OK. Tell me why you are all so excited about this court decision?

"Oh, love wins, love wins." I asked how was this any different than the day before? Did same sex couples not show each other love, waiting for the Supreme Court? No.

Finally, I got a few answers of legal and financial advantages to the change. But by this time, the euphoria was boiled down to far less than their excitement level. These people are raising children, with this mentality! Rather than cry, I ask the Father to re-visit those I worry about, and do His best to wake them up to His Word. I have put my faith in the Lord about giving them every opportunity to make the right choice.

Geri7

I do not have a facebook account and was never tempted to set up one because I like to avoid all drama at all cost. But those of you that use that site for staying in touch with family and close friends, I know its hard but try not to get disturbed by the rainbow color avatars displayed because now you know where each person clearly stands and this can be your perfect opportunity to witness to each of them. If you have witnessed to them and they are stubbornly set in their ways, then don't argue any further, just let your light shine and pray for them. You've done your part and the Holy Spirit does the convicting and the saving.

Meanwhile I was just thinking .... perhaps this is the catalyst for the last revival before the Church Age closes? I'm sure many preachers that didn't preach about a rapture might have gotten jolted just a bit with the sorry state of our nation. I pray that all the true believing pastors across our land will get fired up and will start preaching to their congregation about the soon return of Jesus and the lateness of the hour. It would be so great to finally see the rest of the harvest brought in so we can quickly leave this sin cursed world.

athenasius

one of the things I do, is post links to you tubes I like with short comments as to why. Over in Evangelism there are some videotracts I plan to post for the unsaved family members that bother looking. I figure they will come in handy when Dh & I disappear without a trace.

And for my church that is going Emergent, I suspect the pastors are aware of my disinclination to follow because ever since I discovered you tube (i am slow) a few months back I am immersed in the joys of creation science vids plus a heapin helpin of discernment like what is wrong with the emergent movement parts 1&2 and the like.

I scatter clues like breadcrumbs for the sake of those left behind. And as a gentle pinprick to the delusions of fellow Christians going headlong & headstrong into apostasy.

Hol

Worships Him
I do not have a facebook account and was never tempted to set up one because I like to avoid all drama at all cost. But those of you that use that site for staying in touch with family and close friends, I know its hard but try not to get disturbed by the rainbow color avatars displayed because now you know where each person clearly stands and this can be your perfect opportunity to witness to each of them. If you have witnessed to them and they are stubbornly set in their ways, then don't argue any further, just let your light shine and pray for them. You've done your part and the Holy Spirit does the convicting and the saving.

Meanwhile I was just thinking .... perhaps this is the catalyst for the last revival before the Church Age closes? I'm sure many preachers that didn't preach about a rapture might have gotten jolted just a bit with the sorry state of our nation. I pray that all the true believing pastors across our land will get fired up and will start preaching to their congregation about the soon return of Jesus and the lateness of the hour. It would be so great to finally see the rest of the harvest brought in so we can quickly leave this sin cursed world.
Good encouragement ❤ Thoughtful comments Geri.

one of the things I do, is post links to you tubes I like with short comments as to why. Over in Evangelism there are some videotracts I plan to post for the unsaved family members that bother looking. I figure they will come in handy when Dh & I disappear without a trace.

And for my church that is going Emergent, I suspect the pastors are aware of my disinclination to follow because ever since I discovered you tube (i am slow) a few months back I am immersed in the joys of creation science vids plus a heapin helpin of discernment like what is wrong with the emergent movement parts 1&2 and the like.

I scatter clues like breadcrumbs for the sake of those left behind. And as a gentle pinprick to the delusions of fellow Christians going headlong & headstrong into apostasy.
Athenasius, this reminds me of another trend on FB. As HeistheWay mentioned, the 'all about love' folks are bringing out their conservative rainbow ammo, sort of the 'can't we all get along,' and who are those with strong opinions to voice them?? True, we do not rest our faith in morality, but Christ's Word tells us about these slippery slopes (your nursing experience is a good example). Even as most churches that deny creation are on a slippery slope.

What we need is Christ's living hope to define us ❤ BTW, Chris posted an excellent article by Pastor Mike about the unloving coldness of this new-found 'Love wins' and other creepy world events we learn of daily.