Honor thy mother.....wife ?

Ducati

Is there Biblical reference in the wedding vows to honor your wife as you would your mother ?
My mother has been passed since 1997. I got married in 2002. I honor , respect , and care for my wife as I would my mother.
Is this an appropriate approach or am I taking it to fare ?

Andrew

Well known member
I've never heard that. The biblical reference I am familiar with is from Ephesians 5:

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her
26 to make her holy, cleansing her with the washing of water by the word.
27 He did this to present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or anything like that, but holy and blameless.
28 In the same way, husbands are to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
29 For no one ever hates his own flesh but provides and cares for it, just as Christ does for the church,
30 since we are members of His body.
31 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.
32 This mystery is profound, but I am talking about Christ and the church.
33 To sum up, each one of you is to love his wife as himself, and the wife is to respect her husband.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I've never heard that. The biblical reference I am familiar with is from Ephesians 5:

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her
26 to make her holy, cleansing her with the washing of water by the word.
27 He did this to present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or anything like that, but holy and blameless.
28 In the same way, husbands are to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
29 For no one ever hates his own flesh but provides and cares for it, just as Christ does for the church,
31 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.
32 This mystery is profound, but I am talking about Christ and the church.
33 To sum up, each one of you is to love his wife as himself, and the wife is to respect her husband.
Can't say it any plainer than this. The earthly marriage is a 'copy' of the true marriage that will take place in heaven. Bridegroom: Jesus and the Bride: Church
It's exactly this 'true' marriage relationship that makes the earthly copy so very important. We are to reflect the 'true' in the relationship with our mate. If this was taught
more often (or ever) in churches across the land, there would be more Christians seeing the seriousness of their marriages and working much harder to honor Christ in
the way they conduct themselves inside these earthly temporary marriages. An article I read recently that addressed this issue was an eye-opener for me. Even though I knew basically
that this concept applied, somehow I really 'saw' it much more clearly. Wish these verses were taught more often and with greater clarity.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Not giving the proper honor to a wife can actually hinder ones prayers, that's quite a bit of honor. I've thought for quite a long tome that the best way to honor ones parents is to walk closely with The Savior, doing the will of The Father, walking in light, truth and love. Is this the same honor that a person would give their mother? It seems awfully close to me. If one has their priorities straight, putting Elohim first, their wife, or husband second, and so on, they can't help but honor not only their spouse, their parents and their family, they first and foremost honor The Creator. Anyway, this is how I think of it.

Ducati

I'm not saying my original statement IS Biblical ... but is it proper or appropriate to honor my wife as i would my mother - if my mother was still alive.
I put my wife first and for most above my family and friends - that's doesn't settle well with my family.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I'm not saying my original statement IS Biblical ... but is it proper or appropriate to honor my wife as i would my mother - if my mother was still alive.
I put my wife first and for most above my family and friends - that's doesn't settle well with my family.
That's too bad, as it may make for strained relations with the rest of your family. But, we are Christians, and we must obey God, rather than men. When other members of a family have a different perspective, they have the freedom to live their lives as they see fit, even if it's different from our perspective. But that road runs two ways. You also must live your life in the way you see is God-honoring. If each of us stays in the Word of God and applies His teaching to our thoughts, attitudes, and actions, it doesn't matter what others think or say about (to) us.

Andrew

Well known member
The scripture gives us enough to tell us what is appropriate for a husband. We don't need to look for anything further. If you love your wife in the way that scripture speaks of then you are already honouring her appropriately. The two relationships are not the same.

Micki

MARANATHA!!

Leave and cleave brother. This is Biblical.

Matthew 19:5
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh

Cleave - 1. To adhere closely, stick; cling

2. To remain faithful

(Source: Dictionary.com)

It's awful hard to leave your flesh behind. If you are putting your wife ahead of your family then you are in obedience to the words of Yeshua. Also, if you are putting her ahead of family not only are you honoring her, you're honoring The Savior who said a man is to cleave to his wife.

WorldWithoutEnd

Why did Paul teach this?

WorldWithoutEnd

Amen, just as Christ pointed back towards the beginning, so did Paul. I believe the reference "as his own body" points back to the fact that the woman was taken out of man. Gen 2:23
But shhhh, don't tell that to the feminists...lol

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Is there Biblical reference in the wedding vows to honor your wife as you would your mother ?
My mother has been passed since 1997. I got married in 2002. I honor , respect , and care for my wife as I would my mother.
Is this an appropriate approach or am I taking it to fare ?

Love encompasses honor, respect, and care. I don't think you can overdo love and it's love in Christ that should guide you appropriately.

Your wife fills a different role in your life than your mother. You love them differently, but you love them. You should put your wife first. That it doesn't settle with other family members is inconsequential to your relationship with your wife.