Holiday Decorations!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes Coffee Shop' started by lightofmylife, Sep 17, 2018.

1. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

We went out today to pick up some household items. They have of course Fall, halloween, and Christmas decorations out. I think the reason they are selling Christmas decorations so soon is to bring in the money even sooner than waiting until October or November to sell.

2. anath

anath I Love the Lord

Like I said above, there is nothing outside that looks anywhere near fall but I have already made a pumpkin pie, made caramel corn and bought some seasonal candy corn and peanut butter kisses. We're in the spirit of fall, nevertheless

Oh no, I meant to post this in the other thread.

For decorations I will get out my hand hooked wool pillows that have stitched colorful falling leaves on them

Also today I got a string of red lights out and put them in the kittycat's room where their kitty condo, cat beds, scratching posts and other cat furniture are

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. anath

anath I Love the Lord

Brought in a couple of fallen bare oak limbs that were pretty and gnarled and put them on the floor in a large ceramic vase . They are over my head, I would guess between 6 & 7 feet. I'll put some white lights on them when it's Christmastime.
    I think they look very pretty and artsy but I can't wait to see Mike's reaction or rather his non-reaction. It will take him a while then it will dawn on him that he likes it.:whisper Mikes Father was an artist and Mike's sister is one too. I'm just a wannabe:D I am creative but somethings just don't turn out very well

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. The leaves are falling, but there is still no color in the hills. If you were to take a walk in the woods around here with me though, we would be getting pelted on the head with lots of acorns and pine cones.
    :hug

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. lightofmylife

I got this leaves decoration from Dollar Tree that is really pretty. It has the colored leaves red, orange, and yellow just like the leaves on trees! It is hanging on the Shepherds hook. We are seeing some trees that are changing colors. I love Fall a beautiful season except for the messy leaves you have to clean up. We have an easy way of doing that mulching them up with the lawnmower.

6. Bron

Bron Standing on the Promises of God!

Hobby Lobby has lots of extra shelves of Christmas decorations this year! It’s so lovely to see all the pretty things.
    Fall and Christmas decor is 40% off this week. I think I’ll take a drive down :hyper
    There’s always so much to see at that store!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Well-Known Member

Well, it's like they say. When you see the Christmas decorations up, you know Halloween must be just around the corner!! ;P

8. lightofmylife

Thanksgiving feast (yummy) is coming up for us on November 22nd, and our Canadian brothers and sisters in Christ on October 8th same day as Columbus Day!

9. Tall Timbers

Tall Timbers Imperfect but forgiven

I can see our Christmas tree when I look on the west side of our house. After Thanksgiving I'll go out and cut it down and bring it in on a day that's not too cold.

I used to cook turkeys for Thanksgiving, but when I finally figured out that I was the only one that really liked it, I switched to prime rib. My wife and kids appreciate the prime rib. I miss the turkey, but not the work involved in preparing it.

My kids are all adults now, so thankfully the Halloween candy grab is behind me and now it's just another night to relax at home in the evening. Because of where I live, no trick or treaters come to our house. Our first year in this house I placed a jackolantern and a big bowl of candy near the foot of our driveway while I drove the kids into town to visit row houses for candy. When we got back our bowl of candy had not been touched. I didn't bother after that.

In the past, one of my favorite things that came with fall was starting up the wood stove. Alas, my body has deteriorated enough that collecting firewood is too big a job. I've got enough to burn just during the coldest couple of months of winter for the next two winters and after that I'll try to have enough wood to cover us during winter power outages that are a regular occurrences up here and are known to last as long as a week.

10. Jonathan

I must have a lot of country in me, because when I eventually sell my house and move into the sticks, I will insist of having a wood burning stove. Cutting down and chopping wood can be a pain, I am sure, but if you have the money you can always order a cord of wood or so. But I imagine that is the epitome of cozy... heating the house AND cooking on a wood burning stove.

I love a roast turkey, but yea, it is more work than a prime rib. Still, seeing as how I only do it once a year, it is worth it. Especially if you know how to do it right and know how to make a great pan-gravy (nothing store bought). Combine that with garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, and home-made corn bread, mmmmm. Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. Obviously, spiritually speaking, Christmas is more meaningful, but seeing as how Christ was probably born sometime in September, Christmas for me is meaningful observation for me whereas Thanksgiving just warms my soul. And Thanksgiving is religious for me also. I am thanking God.

11. Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven Well-Known Member

I get it... me too...love the leftovers!

12. Jonathan

Me too. The great thing about a big ol' bird is that you usually can't eat it all on the first day and you can feed off it for several days and it is always good. Every Thanksgiving I make a vow to roast another turkey sometime in the spring because it is so good, but I never get around to it. Which is ok, I guess. Sometimes things are best when you only get to enjoy them rarely.

One of these days I am going to roast a goose for Christmas, because I have never had goose. Usually we just do either Rack of Lamb or Filet Mignon. (I love lamb, but we can't have it but once or twice a year - lamb prices have almost doubled in the past few years.)

13. Kem

Kem Citizen

Lol it is the same here, no color, not too many leaves falling but plenty of little acorns landing everywhere. Sometimes makes me jump when one lands extra hard on the roof of our little back porch.
    That and the colored leaves are among the very few things I miss about western NY. We always purchased our wood already cut to proper size but the man just dumped it in our driveway or garage wherever we asked him to. We had to stack it ourselves behind the garage and it was becoming quite a chore for folks with bad backs. Still, there is nothing like a nice wood fire on a cold day.

But to get back to the decorating, the only thing I have done so far is hang a pretty colored leaf decorated cross on my front door. A dear friend made it for me before I moved down here.

14. Jonathan

I couldn't agree more about the warm wood fire. Seriously. The crackle, the light, the warmth. There is something really primal about it. As far as leaves here is SE Virginia, it is still mostly green, but I did find a few fall-style leaves on my car today. We usually have some beautiful fall foliage that sticks around in my neck of the woods but sometimes it goes directly from summer to winter and you'd hardly know fall occurred.

15. lightofmylife

I know what you mean Jonathan about the seasons. It seems like Spring goes into summer too fast, and Fall goes into Winter too fast. Yesterday, even though it is Fall now it was 87 in Mo, and today as I type 51. It can be like a yoyo up and down!:bluesclues

16. anath

anath I Love the Lord

Bron, I think I need to go to Hobby Lobby today or tomorrow. Found out last night Mike has invited his younger brother and sister over Sunday for Jambalaya and french bread. Mike is the Jambalaya cook of this house.
    Or maybe I'll try to find some fresh fall colored flowers, Idk, maybe I'll do both. I don't think I've had time enough to think about it :drama2

Think I'll go in the kitchen and decide what to cook for dinner tonight

17. lightofmylife

Susan, do you have Dollar Tree stores in your area? You don't have to wonder what it cost. Everything is a $1 each. I just love that store. Hobby Lobby has a lot of neat stuff in there too! Hope you find what you are looking for.:bighug

athenasius, ShilohRose, Bron and 2 others like this.
  18. anath

anath I Love the Lord

It's not easy to get to, kinda off our beaten path but I may give it a try anyway, thanks

athenasius, ShilohRose, Bron and 2 others like this.
  19. lightofmylife

You can sure save money, and a lot of their stuff is decent looking! If you go, let me know what you think.

20. anath

anath I Love the Lord

Oh I would definitely like to save some money. I'll let you know and thanks again