Hillsong writer reveals he's no longer a Christian: 'I'm genuinely losing my faith'

TeeTee

I experianced this at a small service, where those "praise/worship" songs were being sung. I kinda see a repetative, " this is how I feel" song. All of a sudden somebody just belted out "Oh the blood of Jesus" hymn. The atomosphere shifted. People were crying. Kneeling. Repenting. Grateful. Everybody was focused on Jesus. I love hymns! I learned something deeper that evening. I embraced more that evening and it was all about the blood. HE is so good! HE did it all for us!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Just finished reading the article. I do agree with it 100%. I've noticed this, too -- that after publicly disavowing their faith, these popular people will then either spout out some new "truth" they've discovered, or in my experience, make apologies to a certain part of the population they think they've offended with their teachings. Truth by its nature is ancient. Therefore, if it's new, it's not true; if it's true, then it's not new. The first popular spokesman I heard renounce their faith was John Paulk some years ago. Mr. Paulk was supposedly an "ex-gay" turned Christian, became the outspoken image of the ex-gay movement, but for him the pull of his homosexual proclivities was just too powerful. Some time after being caught in a gay bar, he divorced his wife, apologized to the LGBTQ community, and went back to his homosexual lifestyle. The second was Joshua Harris. That one really surprised me. But after his announcement, he's divorcing his wife also. And now Mr. Hillsong. What's next -- some billionaire creates an organization for ex-Christians to help them find "healing" after turning away from the faith?
Wouldn't be surprised if this was something George Soros would fun

dave-o

I experianced this at a small service, where those "praise/worship" songs were being sung. I kinda see a repetitive, " this is how I feel" song. All of a sudden somebody just belted out "Oh the blood of Jesus" hymn. The atmosphere shifted. {...}
I can relate to this. I am sorry and mean no disrespect to modern songsters but it sure seems to me that the majority of modern praise music is commercially formulaic and almost mind-numbing repetitive. I understand that worship music is for God but many songs are so repetitive that it feels like they're just taking up a block of time before and after the sermon/bible study.

(BTW a few modern hymns are awesome!)

Len

BTW a few modern hymns are awesome!
In Christ Alone .... by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend is one of those awesome hymns, though Stuart Townsend has many great songs that are God honouring and uplifting, Sons of Korah too...... as for these people leaving their faith in Jesus I think one of the problems is they just "make another god" in an image they prefer, a nice warm fuzzy god, or one that does not have a hell and condones any lifestyle they choose.....

Last edited:

Hidden

True conversion involves the will, the decision of the person to completely surrender to Christ. I suspect many of these people were simply caught up in the moment. There was never a genuine conversion that took place because perhaps they were too overwhelmed by the emotion of the song or the preaching that it was their emotional side that responded, not their whole person.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
In Christ Alone .... by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend is one of those awesome hymns....
Now, I've got a song stuck in my mind. A good one though. :lol.

I do love the hymns, they really have a depth to them that I find my heart really connecting with. There are some modern songs I appreciate, but those hymns, many born out of the crucibles of life, speak more indepth of God to me. A more spiritually meat to chew on type of hymn.

That being said, I know people connect differently to various music, so, while I have my preferences I do not think less of my brothers and sisters in Christ because of music. I pray that God guides each heart in this knowing that for whatever reason different songs may be of a way of sincere worship for different people.

Momma D

Great article!
My church is very selective in choosing worship songs. Some would be considered mildly contemporary, but not even in the same ballpark as Hillsong. They all tie into pastor's message, and he is an incredible teacher of the truth! I thank God so much for leading us there.
The pastor even stated from the pulpit that if you wanted to be entertained, you are in the wrong church!

Last edited:

Kerbluey

Great article!

True conversion involves the will, the decision of the person to completely surrender to Christ. I suspect many of these people were simply caught up in the moment. There was never a genuine conversion that took place because perhaps they were too overwhelmed by the emotion of the song or the preaching that it was their emotional side that responded, not their whole person.

Agree! Faith based on emotional moments is a faith of shifting sand.

dave-o

(The Message) Antichrists Everywhere You Look

1 John 2:18 Children, time is just about up. You heard that Antichrist is coming. Well, they’re all over the place, antichrists everywhere you look. That’s how we know that we’re close to the end. 19 They left us, but they were never really with us. If they had been, they would have stuck it out with us, loyal to the end. In leaving, they showed their true colors, showed they never did belong.

Really this man's leaving is nothing new. It is a non-event.

Popcornfish

(The Message) Antichrists Everywhere You Look

1 John 2:18 Children, time is just about up. You heard that Antichrist is coming. Well, they’re all over the place, antichrists everywhere you look. That’s how we know that we’re close to the end. 19 They left us, but they were never really with us. If they had been, they would have stuck it out with us, loyal to the end. In leaving, they showed their true colors, showed they never did belong.

Really this man's leaving is nothing new. It is a non-event.
I think it becomes an event when someone who sings praise songs decides to no longer believe in what they formerly praised. Further, it is an event when someone falls from the way. If he returns to the path he is in Christ and always was. If he does not and dies without returning to Christ, he never was in Christ and his songs were simply lyrics sung to a tune. No real praise at all. I think that means something.