Hillsong writer reveals he's no longer a Christian: 'I'm genuinely losing my faith'

ByGod'sGrace

At the Christian School I taught at briefly, we had chapel every Wednesday, and these types of worship songs were played. I worried about the emotional draw of these repetitive praise songs. I felt like I was losing my mind just hearing verses sung over and over again. The emotional frenzy involved and used to measure one's "closeness" to the Lord is very dangerous, and sad for young people to value emotions above all else.

Rocky Rivera

I highly recommend that members click on the link and take the time to read this article. It is definitely well worth the time.
I'll read the article after this posting, but I just wanted to say that if we have true faith in Jesus, when we see articles such as these it should not affect us at all. If there's any lesson to take away from the public apostasy of Christian leaders, popular or not, is that it is all part of the "falling away" that will occur in these last days. What that means is that the coming of the LORD is soon near. Thessalonians 2: 3 says, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition". Christian cells and churches in non-Western parts of the world are far more conservative -- and I have little idea of what is going on there -- so if there is anyone falling away there I'm sure it won't be big news like Harris was here in the States, and it may not even be that big of a deal in a secular sense. But what we can glean from that verse is that first comes the falling away, and then the man of sin is revealed. Of course, some more things may happen between those two events, but the way I read that verse, it should happen in that order.

The falling away of popular Western "Christian" leaders shouldn't jarr us at all. We are to look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, and not to men. It is God we ought to fear, and not men. So what if Harris or Mr. Hillsong says they're not Christians any more? It meant they were never believers in the first place. Our focus is to be on Christ. Besides, what do they have to do with you? They don't accept Christ for you any more than they live their life for you. Articles such as these, I believe, are the mainstream media's way to poke and jab at a faith they hate with vigorous passion. Like Peter warming himself by the enemy's fire before he denied Jesus, let's not do the same here.

TimeWarpWife

God tells us that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours and that's why He calls us to have "faith" in Him. Our little finite minds can't grasp the holiness, the awesomeness, the brilliance of God, and even if He were to explain things to us in our human form, we'd still never understand it. I've had a really, really hard time understanding why God allowed my disabled dd to leave me and why He took her Home to be with Him, especially when my heart aches for her still every single day. But to deny God, IMHO, is tantamount to cutting off my nose to spite my face and to do so would mean this world has no rhyme or reason to it and everything is meaningless. Hanging on to faith in God, knowing that ~ hopefully very soon ~ I'll be reunited with dd and get to spend eternity with Jesus, is the only thing that gets me up every morning. I personally don't understand how these people who once claimed to be converts to Christianity are going to survive in this world, that in and of itself makes no sense, especially now that they don't have Jesus as their rock and anchor. They may also want to re-read Hebrews 6:4-6 (KJV), which states, "4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." The bible doesn't say it's "almost" impossible, it says it is impossible to renew them again to repentance.

Rocky Rivera

Just finished reading the article. I do agree with it 100%. I've noticed this, too -- that after publicly disavowing their faith, these popular people will then either spout out some new "truth" they've discovered, or in my experience, make apologies to a certain part of the population they think they've offended with their teachings. Truth by its nature is ancient. Therefore, if it's new, it's not true; if it's true, then it's not new. The first popular spokesman I heard renounce their faith was John Paulk some years ago. Mr. Paulk was supposedly an "ex-gay" turned Christian, became the outspoken image of the ex-gay movement, but for him the pull of his homosexual proclivities was just too powerful. Some time after being caught in a gay bar, he divorced his wife, apologized to the LGBTQ community, and went back to his homosexual lifestyle. The second was Joshua Harris. That one really surprised me. But after his announcement, he's divorcing his wife also. And now Mr. Hillsong. What's next -- some billionaire creates an organization for ex-Christians to help them find "healing" after turning away from the faith?

Cindy S.

At the Christian School I taught at briefly, we had chapel every Wednesday, and these types of worship songs were played. I worried about the emotional draw of these repetitive praise songs. I felt like I was losing my mind just hearing verses sung over and over again. The emotional frenzy involved and used to measure one's "closeness" to the Lord is very dangerous, and sad for young people to value emotions above all else.
I can only stand and sing so many repetitions before I quit singing. Now those hymns are another story.

Cindy S.

Hillsong writer reveals he's no longer a Christia

I highly recommend that members click on the link and take the time to read this article. It is definitely well worth the time.
That is a very good article!
I read somewhere that Love and being good is becoming a new religion
n: 'I'm genuinely losing my faith'

Personally, I think that he's a member of Hillsong church could be why he feels this way.
Very sad for him. However, if his name is in the Lamb's Book of Life he will, like the Prodigal, find his way home. :pray

What is wrong with Hillsong church
Great article! I read somewhere that Love and being good, etc.. is becoming a new religion.

madcat

This article is a perfect picture of the end of days. Trying to please the world and the “sin du jour” to be accepted. And for what? If they have ever read Revelation, or read 2 Tim 3:5, it’s pretty clear about what God considers as sin.
And what’s even worse if they continue to basically “preach a false gospel, and add to/take away from the Bible, God says in Rev.22:19, that He will “take away his part out of the book of life”, etc.
And I would think they will be responsible for leading countless young people to hell, because that’s what they think “church” is. As they are ingrained in a false religion, and probably believe they are saved and heaven bound, it will be harder and harder for them to ever accept a gospel that doesn’t include all the perversions of today’s society.
Between false churches/religion, and a demonically inspired educational system, social media, and peer pressure, the eternal future for them looks dim. :sad:sad