High End Android Smartphones

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I am an avid Android user, my past 3 phones were iPhone S4 :puke Samsung Galaxy 5S, then 6S which is still chugging along. I am currently saving for something new.

I have heard really good things from tech colleagues about the OnePlus. I use ATT service and it is an Android OS. The only downside is it is quite pricey, that being said, I may opt to just get an older model. I need a least 64GB (more is better) and I don't don't game. But I love speed.

Interested to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Len

I had a Oneplus two yers back and it was a good phone but only kept it for a year due to carrier problems but perhaps stick with Samsung and look for a "deal" on previous years flagship model, the current model for Samsung is the S20 varient, perhaps look at buying the previous flagship the S10 or S10+ or even a Note 10 you can get a pretty good phone for a good deal less than the current flagship that way

LoudRam77

Don't discount LG. I have a LG V60 and I love it. The One Plus is a good phone but I wanted a headphone jack and an SD card. The V60 has similar specs to the S20 Ultra. My battery can and has lasted 2 days. I have a screen shot showing 41 hours and 27 minutes on a single charge with a screen on time of 9 hours and 33 minutes. I am a tech head when it comes to phones and I expect a lot from what I buy. This phone fits the bill.

Here's the screen shot (I hope)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sbVKBmAChjFeoj99

Eric Nicholas

Don't discount LG. I have a LG V60 and I love it. The One Plus is a good phone but I wanted a headphone jack and an SD card. The V60 has similar specs to the S20 Ultra. My battery can and has lasted 2 days. I have a screen shot showing 41 hours and 27 minutes on a single charge with a screen on time of 9 hours and 33 minutes. I am a tech head when it comes to phones and I expect a lot from what I buy. This phone fits the bill.

Here's the screen shot (I hope)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4sbVKBmAChjFeoj99
I agree. I have an LG Solo and it is great. For the money up front and monthly, it's a steal.

DanLMP

I have a Samsung S20. I like it plenty. Previously I had A Samsung S9. The S9 was a good phone. I've been sticking with Samsung so I don't have to figure out a new interface...
I have the S9 and got my wife the S20 for her birthday. I bought them unlocked and not through AT&T who we use. I didn't want the bloatware.

I have been watching YT videos on these Samsung phones that help me maximize it's effectiveness and utility.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I have been scoping some more out. I am considering the Samsung mid-tier smartphone, the Galaxy A71. One of my big issues with the newer Samsung's is the beveled screens (specifically on the S series). Even if I get an Otterbox case, the screen sticks out past the case which decrease durability. Seems how I drop my phone all the time this is not feasible for me.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Andrea and I both have S9 Notes. I know what you mean about the beveled screen edges on the sides, but I use a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle PRO series case. It has a shock resident body, is well padded on the corners, and has a screen protector. The case is raised above the top and bottom edges, which keeps the screen face from contacting the ground if dropped or laid face down on a surface. Yet the sides are low so that I can still make use of the beveled screen without any problem at all.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I have been scoping some more out. I am considering the Samsung mid-tier smartphone, the Galaxy A71. One of my big issues with the newer Samsung's is the beveled screens (specifically on the S series). Even if I get an Otterbox case, the screen sticks out past the case which decrease durability. Seems how I drop my phone all the time this is not feasible for me.
I'm not pushing the S series, and I don't care for the beveled screens, but I use Otterbox and the screen doesn't stick out past the case. No matter how the phone gets dropped the screen won't impact anything so long as it falls on a flat surface.

LoudRam77

Motorola has some really nice mid range phones to. Check out the Moto G Series. Specifically the G Power. It has the same size battery (5000 mAh) as my V60 but with a less powerful processor. I can easily get 2 days from my battery. The G Power claims 3 days and I can see it lasting that long.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Motorola has some really nice mid range phones to. Check out the Moto G Series. Specifically the G Power. It has the same size battery (5000 mAh) as my V60 but with a less powerful processor. I can easily get 2 days from my battery. The G Power claims 3 days and I can see it lasting that long.
My wife has the Moto G4. It seems like a really nice phone and it was very inexpensive compared to the ones I buy. She's only had a cell phone for a couple of years and she leaves it turned off except for when she wants to use it, which isn't often... We recently cancelled our landline service so she has to use it more than she used to. I wish the battery in my S20 would last as long at the one in the Moto G4...

Last edited:

DanLMP

I wish the battery in my S20 would last as long at the one in the Moto G4...
There are some Samsung apps that you can get that will help you monitor your power use.
The app let's me know which other apps are sucking up all the power so that I can go into the specific app and stop it from running in the background.

The app is called "Galaxy Labs". You get it at the Samsung app store.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The app is called "Galaxy Labs". You get it at the Samsung app store.
This is the first time I've gone to the Samsung store, at least I don't ever remember going there... took me a while to find the icon.

There's a feature like that built into the software that comes with the phone, but maybe labs will do a more thorough job. I'll find out.

DanLMP

This is the first time I've gone to the Samsung store, at least I don't ever remember going there... took me a while to find the icon.

There's a feature like that built into the software that comes with the phone, but maybe labs will do a more thorough job. I'll find out.
I suspect you are referring to "device care".

The "Galaxy Labs" app is actually a suite of 4 other apps that you can pick and choose to download separately.

I downloaded "Battery Tracker" and "Battery Guardian".

Battery Tracker breaks down into graphical form your battery history and individual app battery usage.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I suspect you are referring to "device care".

The "Galaxy Labs" app is actually a suite of 4 other apps that you can pick and choose to download separately.

I downloaded "Battery Tracker" and "Battery Guardian".

Battery Tracker breaks down into graphical form your battery history and individual app battery usage.
Yes, devicecare. I too downloaded the Tracker and Guardian.