Hi from Australia

Walter Kerr

I came across this only today and, being from Australia, I thought that I might comment on the "Dingo ate your baby" line.

It harks back to a tragic story from the 1980's when a SDA Pastor and his wife were holidaying in central Australia. A dingo entered their tent and stole their baby; she was about three months old. The baby was never seen again.

Lindy Chamberlain, who was the wife of Pastor Chamberlain, was interviewed by the media and in a dreadful and despairing moment she cried out in anguish, "A dingo ate my baby."

A few months later she was charged with murder, convicted and served about ten years, I think. It was an absolute travesty of justice. The poor woman was later found to be totally innocent and her original story was proven to be true, a dingo did steal the child. It was a dreadful story essentially built on a hatred for her SDA (ie Christian) connections. The babies name was Azaria and that was said to mean "sacrifice in the desert" by some "expert". The whole case was shameful and built totally on predudice against the Christian faith.

So, "a dingo ate my baby" is not a happy expression in Australia, and not a humorous one either for people who recall the matter. Having said that, I trust that the writers who mentioned it are not offended by my comments, they could not know its origins and absolutely no offence was intended by them, nor taken by me.

I just thought that it may be helpful to know about the matter.

livin_in_the_Son

I came across this only today and, being from Australia, I thought that I might comment on the "Dingo ate your baby" line.

It harks back to a tragic story from the 1980's when a SDA Pastor and his wife were holidaying in central Australia. A dingo entered their tent and stole their baby; she was about three months old. The baby was never seen again.

Lindy Chamberlain, who was the wife of Pastor Chamberlain, was interviewed by the media and in a dreadful and despairing moment she cried out in anguish, "A dingo ate my baby."

A few months later she was charged with murder, convicted and served about ten years, I think. It was an absolute travesty of justice. The poor woman was later found to be totally innocent and her original story was proven to be true, a dingo did steal the child. It was a dreadful story essentially built on a hatred for her SDA (ie Christian) connections. The babies name was Azaria and that was said to mean "sacrifice in the desert" by some "expert". The whole case was shameful and built totally on predudice against the Christian faith.

So, "a dingo ate my baby" is not a happy expression in Australia, and not a humorous one either for people who recall the matter. Having said that, I trust that the writers who mentioned it are not offended by my comments, they could not know its origins and absolutely no offence was intended by them, nor taken by me.

I just thought that it may be helpful to know about the matter.
Walter, I am truly sorry for my insensitive comment. Like I wrote, I heard it in a movie, or show, and I didn't know the story behind it. I know you said that you weren't calling me out, but I feel really bad for making light of such an awful situation. Thank you for setting me straight.

In Christ,
Juli

pixelpusher

I have to say, I think I've used the dingo line in an ignorant attempt at humor also, thanks for the enlightenment, Walter.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ReadyforSupper

I have to say, I think I've used the dingo line in an ignorant attempt at humor also, thanks for the enlightenment, Walter.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Oh heavens, I remember that happening, so to my utter shame, I admit I've said it as well.

Lord, forgive us.

Walter Kerr

Dear friends, thanks for your comments.

That expression may seem like a funny line and, in different circumstances, it may be.

I do know that no offence was intended and all was done in good faith.

I am happy to have been able to paint in the background of what was a very sad and tragic story.

ReadyforSupper

Dear friends, thanks for your comments.

That expression may seem like a funny line and, in different circumstances, it may be.

I do know that no offence was intended and all was done in good faith.

I am happy to have been able to paint in the background of what was a very sad and tragic story.
Thank you for the gentle correction, in light of the careless mockery.

By the way...Welcome to RF brother!

boughtbygrace

Welcome to RF and I am happy to meet all of you that have just recently joined. I have been out of state visiting my fiancé and having gotten on line in a while. BUT I am happy to see how many new ones are on board to talk with other Christians. Praise God for all of you. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Andrea

hopefilled

Ohh another Aussie!! :yeah:

Welcome and to all who are wondering it is ok to call a female "mate" not gender specific and being a gal myself I use it an awful lot - and am also not offended when called it :nod