Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

MapleLeaf

I've never heard of Toblerone. I'll have to see what that is. Me too, I just loved baked goods like breads, croissants, all sorts of buttery and cheesy goodness, yum....
They're triangular shaped chocolates named for the pointy mountains in Switzerland...or is it Austria? I can't remember. I did drive past them during my tour of Europe. The chocolates aren't far off from the shape. There really is a series of nearly perfectly triangle mountains out there in the world. The chocolates have a nutty (or is it rice?) base. It's very crunchy. It HAS to be Swiss. My trip to Europe was 15 years ago (wah, I'm old) and I will never forget the richness of Swiss chocolate. I mainly see Toblerones around Christmastime. I don't have access to a Costco though.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
One of our local groceries use to carry a Toblerone mousse type pie...it was really good. Seems like it was gluten free and for a time dh and dd had to avoid gluten.

Aiyanna

I confess I have never heard of See's Chocolate and I've never had Toblerone.
I like Ferrero Rocher's too though.

I've a snobbish taste when it comes to coffees and Chocolates lol. Someone brought in some uber-expensive chocolates for the bank once. My coworkers who have been corrupted by cheaper chocolate brands didn't like them.... More for me :heh

katt

They're triangular shaped chocolates named for the pointy mountains in Switzerland...or is it Austria? I can't remember. I did drive past them during my tour of Europe. The chocolates aren't far off from the shape. There really is a series of nearly perfectly triangle mountains out there in the world. The chocolates have a nutty (or is it rice?) base. It's very crunchy. It HAS to be Swiss. My trip to Europe was 15 years ago (wah, I'm old) and I will never forget the richness of Swiss chocolate. I mainly see Toblerones around Christmastime. I don't have access to a Costco though.
I think it's hard honey bits..or maybe toffee..no matter..that is one of my favorite chocolate's..and Charlton Chews..big time yum..there was once a candy bar called The Mar's Bar..it was some sort of white stuff covered in chocolate..and had almonds in it..to die for..have not seen it sold since my early teen years.. truly miss that..one that wasn't around long that I always wanted to try and never got to was the Butternut candy bar, I even remember the commercial and little jingle that they used to advertise it.. believe it or not..there is a butternut tree..it is said the nuts from said tree are the sweetest of all the nuts..had I had the money I would have ordered the tree and planted in my yard when I had a yard to plant it in that is... can't wait for heaven..I'll finally get to try all the things I couldn't try here...there is the Dove candy bar..was so much better than Hershey's when it first came out..it was the first chocolate candy bar I had ever had that wasn't Hershey's, not talking about boxed candy..Russel Stover's and such ..just candy bars..wow!!..I didn't know a chocolate candy could taste better than Hershey's and not make me sick. They started it out as an Easter egg truffle..Cadberry's has always been way to sweet for me..but this..was perfect..I haven't seen the Easter egg version in years..and over the years..Dove has changed.. it's not as good as it used to be.. I'm thinking the company must have changed the recipe..or my taste buds have changed..go figure..

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I always loved the candy that was not quite as popular as Hershey bars or Snickers...I love 5th Avenue bars, Whatchamacallit and Skor, although I admit, I will eat most things chocolate.

katt

I always loved the candy that was not quite as popular as Hershey bars or Snickers...I love 5th Avenue bars, Whatchamacallit and Skor, although I admit, I will eat most things chocolate.
Heath, another not so popular Hershey's bar... chocolate covered toffee..I liked it growing up..now days..not so much..just as Reese's Cups don't taste as good as they once did.. neither does the Heath bar... it tastes A bit bitter to me now days...Fifth Avenue is very good...my mom's favorite chocolate bar is not made by Hershey.. Baby Ruth.. it's always been tasteless to me..

ChildofLight

I remember one time when I was a teenager, I had a very very bad craving for chocolate. We live out in the country in the back woods and it was before I could drive. We only went on Saturday mornings when my brother that could drive took me to pick out the groceries, he bought as he had a job. The only thing in the house chocolate was a cooking bar of dark chocolate. I ate the entire thing. It was bitter but it was chocolate. It was the best tasting thing and it cured my taste for that time.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I remember one time when I was a teenager, I had a very very bad craving for chocolate. We live out in the country in the back woods and it was before I could drive. We only went on Saturday mornings when my brother that could drive took me to pick out the groceries, he bought as he had a job. The only thing in the house chocolate was a cooking bar of dark chocolate. I ate the entire thing. It was bitter but it was chocolate. It was the best tasting thing and it cured my taste for that time.
Growing up, we may have had candy once or twice a month...it was not a daily or even weekly treat. @katt , maybe that's why it tasted so good.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Have never heard of See's..could you elaborate please?

@katt, while on the road day before yesterday I completed typing out a response to this and then the data connection dropped. When I was next in an area with a data connection I saw that my response had disappeared so I wasn't able to post it.

See's historically has been present on the west side of the country. Warren Buffet purchased the company quite some time ago but left them to do what they do well. Not much changed after Buffet bought See's except now you will see a See's vendor in some airports around the country. If you go into a See's store you'll be greeted with an offer of a free chocolate. You can purchase pre-made packages of soft centers, nuts and chews, or assorted. Or, you can choose as you go and they'll fill the box for you with your choices.

Once I was in a airport and talking to someone about how good See's was. Another person walked up to us and told us that they'd been an employee of See's and went on about how good they were and their quality control. He'd seen them turn back a large shipment of walnuts, for example, that didn't meet their quality standards.

We people all have different tastes when it comes to things like chocolates, but I've never tasted any chocolate that I thought was in the same class as See's. A couple of years ago when I was told I was pre-diabetic and I chose to stop consuming candy of any kind within days relatives had sent us a combined few pounds of See's chocolates. That was very hard for me but cold turkey is the only way for me...

katt

@katt, while on the road day before yesterday I completed typing out a response to this and then the data connection dropped. When I was next in an area with a data connection I saw that my response had disappeared so I wasn't able to post it.

See's historically has been present on the west side of the country. Warren Buffet purchased the company quite some time ago but left them to do what they do well. Not much changed after Buffet bought See's except now you will see a See's vendor in some airports around the country. If you go into a See's store you'll be greeted with an offer of a free chocolate. You can purchase pre-made packages of soft centers, nuts and chews, or assorted. Or, you can choose as you go and they'll fill the box for you with your choices.

Once I was in a airport and talking to someone about how good See's was. Another person walked up to us and told us that they'd been an employee of See's and went on about how good they were and their quality control. He'd seen them turn back a large shipment of walnuts, for example, that didn't meet their quality standards.

We people all have different tastes when it comes to things like chocolates, but I've never tasted any chocolate that I thought was in the same class as See's. A couple of years ago when I was told I was pre-diabetic and I chose to stop consuming candy of any kind within days relatives had sent us a combined few pounds of See's chocolates. That was very hard for me but cold turkey is the only way for me...
Thank you so much for your persistence...I greatly appreciate your effort and I'll be searching for this amazing company and when I find anything made by them I will be sure to buy it and think of you..who introduced them to me..:)

penbrat

Candy was a special treat growing up. Reese's peanut butter cups were my favorite. Sure don't taste like they used to. As far as a candy shortage, I don't buy it now but I noticed our Dollar General had a bunch of it in their Halloween section. Not sure what kind but the shelves were full.

Back