Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

MapleLeaf

squirrel-nut-zippers

When's the last time you had a Squirrel Nut Zipper?

Or Jolly Rancher Green Apple and Watermelon. I'm convinced those were invented by dentists to drum up business.
Jolly Rancher Green Apple and Watermelon are my absolute favourite candies. I never was big on traditional candies or candy bars but those two are fantastic. Though I prefer to get those candy flavours in the traditional candy stick form.

pur56ple

I am rather fond of the dark chocolate Hershey Kisses. Maybe I need to stock up.
I love Hersheys chocolate particularly the kisses and the special dark but lately the chocolate doesn't taste as good as it used to. It is really soft and somewhat "gooey" compared to the chocolate from earlier years - the chocolate in the bars would break into pieces pretty cleanly but not now. I attribute that to not using real sugar but the oils and corn syrup that are so prevalent now in everything. I still prefer coca cola made with sugar which I get once in a while at the mexican restaurant we go to. Definitely a difference in taste.

SkyRider

. I still prefer coca cola made with sugar which I get once in a while at the mexican restaurant we go to. Definitely a difference in taste.
Never noticed a difference in the taste of coke until they experimented with a new flavor years ago. Boy, did that bomb! I grew up drinking Royal Crown Cola, defected then switched to Pepsi Cola, then turned turncoat on them and finally settled with Coca Cola. Love the Cherry and Vanilla varieties especially.

it’s funny though that you mentioned that about Coke. My wife and I were watching a WWII movie last night on Amazon called Saints and Soldiers: the Airborne Creed. These three US paratroopers meet up with some members of the French Resistance and give them some assistance. Another group of soldiers meet up with them along a country road, they break out a case of Coca Cola in the small bottles, and pass them around to everybody to quench their thirst. Two of the French guys are shown taking a sip, then disgustedly empty the contents of the coke on the ground. I even made a comment to my wife about it: “hey…what gives?” Oh, those French. What do they know about good cuisine. They must have warped taste buds or something.

GotGrace

Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

The Hershey Company – the fifth-biggest candy company in the world in 2021 – is sounding the alarm that they will experience a Halloween candy shortage this year.

The Hershey Company warned that it would not be able to supply enough candy for Halloween and the Christmas holiday season. The candy company blamed a scarcity of raw ingredients on the insufficient supply.

Reuters reported, "Pandemic-induced global supply chain disruptions and the Russia-Ukraine war have crunched supplies of cocoa, edible oil, and other food ingredients, pinching production lines of packaged food companies around the world."

Hershey Chief Executive Officer Michele Buck said on Thursday, "We will not be able to fully meet consumer demand due to capacity constraints."

Buck said that the company sources a great deal of its equipment and supplies from Europe – which has faced an economic downturn because of its reliance on energy from Russia. The invasion of Ukraine has also put a strain on getting products such as cocoa and edible oil.

Buck also noted that despite the candy shortage, the company expects sales to top last year still.

"Historically, Hershey's sales growth has been driven by higher prices and not necessarily volume ... The company is entering this period from a position of strength with that expertise," CFRA Research analyst Arun Sundaram said.

The Hershey Company saw its net sales rise more than 19% in the second quarter – raking in $2.37 billion compared to estimates of $2.22 billion.

The Halloween season is Hershey's best-selling time of the year – comprising approximately 10% of the company's annual sales.

The 128-year-old company manufactures some of the most beloved Halloween candy – including Hershey's Chocolate Bars, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Mounds, Good & Plenty, Bubble Yum, Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, Whatchamacallits, Milk Duds, 5th Avenue, and Hershey's Kisses.

On Thursday, food behemoth Nestle said it raised prices by 6.5% in the first half of 2022 because of an "unprecedented" rise in costs.

Nestle – the world's largest food company – hiked up prices in North America by 9.8%.

Nestle CEO Mark Schneider said, "We limited the impact of unprecedented inflationary pressures and supply chain constraints on our margin development through disciplined cost control and operational efficiencies."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/halloween-candy-shortage-food-hershey?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New-Trending-Story_WEEKEND 2022-07-31&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News
We may have to start making our own chocolate. Yikes! People will get so much more addicted To chocolate from taste testing to try to get it just right we’re gonna need chocolate rehabs.

katt

I love Hersheys chocolate particularly the kisses and the special dark but lately the chocolate doesn't taste as good as it used to. It is really soft and somewhat "gooey" compared to the chocolate from earlier years - the chocolate in the bars would break into pieces pretty cleanly but not now. I attribute that to not using real sugar but the oils and corn syrup that are so prevalent now in everything. I still prefer coca cola made with sugar which I get once in a while at the mexican restaurant we go to. Definitely a difference in taste.
Reese cups don't taste as good as they used to.. I'll still eat milk duds and butterfingers..but after having Godiva and Ferrero Rocher's.. Hershey's just doesn't do it for me anymore...

Andy C

If I ate sweets my first choice would be See's chocolates.
That was my moms favorite candy, and what was always out on Christmas morning.

I seldom eat a candy bar (maybe 2-3 a year). However, my wifes go to is the Hershey Almond bar. I use to stash some around the house, and when she was having a bad day, I would bring her one.

I do eat sweets occasionally, but candy has always been my last choice.

cheeky200386

Ferrero Rochers are amazing. I also love Toberlone but I've yet to successfully eat an entire bar. It's so rich that I just can't make it. I'm more of a baked goods fan than chocolate and candy bars.
I've never heard of Toblerone. I'll have to see what that is. Me too, I just loved baked goods like breads, croissants, all sorts of buttery and cheesy goodness, yum....

Back