Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

SkyRider

OK, I protest. This beautiful chocolate thread has been completely usurped by liver and vegemite. The horrible inhumanity of running out of chocolate is about to befall us and we're talking about these abominations! Chocolate-covered raisins make the world go round. We only invented raisins to dip them into chocolate so now what are the raisin people are going to do?? We might as well tear down all the vineyards too. Grapes are just future chocolate-covered raisins. Don't need any of 'em now. And we'll have to cancel Christmas because chocolate Turtles are necessary to celebrate the holidays.

But no. Go on. Keep talking about yeasty organs and vegetables.
I think a more appropriate thread title could have been: “Unmasking the Halloween candy shortage claim” or “Are the Oompa Loompas now out of a job - what will they do?”

it all makes sense now why the other Peanuts kids were getting such wonderful treats but Charlie Brown was always stuck just getting a rock.

SkyRider

I think I heard that when orcas go after great whites, that they only want the livers and not interested in the rest of the carcass. It makes you wonder how they can remove the livers and leave the rest of the animal intact with minimal, I presume, damage to the body. How can their bites be so precise?

MapleLeaf

I think I heard that when orcas go after great whites, that they only want the livers and not interested in the rest of the carcass. It makes you wonder how they can remove the livers and leave the rest of the animal intact with minimal, I presume, damage to the body. How can their bites be so precise?
They are too smart for their own good. They also know to flip sharks and rays onto their backs to put them into a catatonic state and thus easier to kill. When they eat larger whale species they tend to only go for the tongue. I guess they only like fatty tissue. More bang for the buck. They don't have hands to use forks and knives so it probably takes more energy than it's worth to tear apart entire carcasses. Just go for highest calorie input with least amount of output. They also hunt like wolves....slowly but relentless pursuing their prey until it wears itself out and then they go in as a team. What they don't eat sinks to the bottom of the ocean and all the fishies down there get a massive treat. Hag fish. Gross.

And now I'm thinking about hag fish and all their oozy slime instead of chocolate. I better start stocking up on chocolate to get me through the winter.

alisani

OK, I protest. This beautiful chocolate thread has been completely usurped by liver and vegemite. The horrible inhumanity of running out of chocolate is about to befall us and we're talking about these abominations! Chocolate-covered raisins make the world go round. We only invented raisins to dip them into chocolate so now what are the raisin people are going to do?? We might as well tear down all the vineyards too. Grapes are just future chocolate-covered raisins. Don't need any of 'em now. And we'll have to cancel Christmas because chocolate Turtles are necessary to celebrate the holidays.

Raisinets!! Love them. Why bother with coating peanuts when there are raisins just waiting for a chocolate bath!

SkyRider

Anyone remember the little Ice Cubes chocolate? Man, that stuff was the best! I guess it is still around but don't see it that often. My brother and I when we were kids would go visit construction sites of new homes, collect coke bottles, then redeem them at the local 7/11 and blow the whole day's earnings on Ice Cubes, Abba Zabbas, Slow Pokes, Jaw Breakers and whatever else struck our fancy.

MapleLeaf

Do you mean Icy Squares chocolate? I love those! My mom used to take us to the deli she had worked at until I was a baby and many of her former coworkers were still there. They would give us each an icy square and then my oma would buy a bag of them. I didn't see them again until I was in my late 20s. They are a bit harder to find but our grocery store has them in the bulk section.

I like miniature style chocolate like that or the mini Halloween candies because I can only handle so much chocolate at once. Bite size is perfect.

SkyRider

Do you mean Icy Squares chocolate? I love those! My mom used to take us to the deli she had worked at until I was a baby and many of her former coworkers were still there. They would give us each an icy square and then my oma would buy a bag of them. I didn't see them again until I was in my late 20s. They are a bit harder to find but our grocery store has them in the bulk section.
No, Ice Cubes. There are pictures of them online. Could be they were called by your name in a different locale. It is actually a German confection but deeeelicious.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Anyone remember the little Ice Cubes chocolate? Man, that stuff was the best! I guess it is still around but don't see it that often. My brother and I when we were kids would go visit construction sites of new homes, collect coke bottles, then redeem them at the local 7/11 and blow the whole day's earnings on Ice Cubes, Abba Zabbas, Slow Pokes, Jaw Breakers and whatever else struck our fancy.

I'm not familiar with Ice Cubes chocolate. Guess I was somewhat deprived as a child. There was a penny candy store about 2 blocks from my house. I'd ride my stingray bicycle there when I was cashless and just look through the window at all the delicious stuff. When I had some coin I'd often spend it there.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

Don't make me sing the Vegemite song !!!!!!

Cloud Watcher

LOL, personally, I think fried liver and onions are INCREDIBLE but it's probably an acquired taste...

Tofu = Blechh. I'd rather eat fried BBQ crickets from the WEF than anything with soy in it.

The only way I find liver tolerable is to make it like stroganoff. Cut the liver in very thin strips and saute it with the diced onion. Then add sour cream and cream of mushroom soup, and simmer. I needed a way to fix my anemia one time and came up with this.

Back