Hershey warns of looming Halloween candy shortage

ChildofLight

The Hershey Company – the fifth-biggest candy company in the world in 2021 – is sounding the alarm that they will experience a Halloween candy shortage this year.

The Hershey Company warned that it would not be able to supply enough candy for Halloween and the Christmas holiday season. The candy company blamed a scarcity of raw ingredients on the insufficient supply.

Reuters reported, "Pandemic-induced global supply chain disruptions and the Russia-Ukraine war have crunched supplies of cocoa, edible oil, and other food ingredients, pinching production lines of packaged food companies around the world."

Hershey Chief Executive Officer Michele Buck said on Thursday, "We will not be able to fully meet consumer demand due to capacity constraints."

Buck said that the company sources a great deal of its equipment and supplies from Europe – which has faced an economic downturn because of its reliance on energy from Russia. The invasion of Ukraine has also put a strain on getting products such as cocoa and edible oil.

Buck also noted that despite the candy shortage, the company expects sales to top last year still.

"Historically, Hershey's sales growth has been driven by higher prices and not necessarily volume ... The company is entering this period from a position of strength with that expertise," CFRA Research analyst Arun Sundaram said.

The Hershey Company saw its net sales rise more than 19% in the second quarter – raking in $2.37 billion compared to estimates of $2.22 billion.

The Halloween season is Hershey's best-selling time of the year – comprising approximately 10% of the company's annual sales.

The 128-year-old company manufactures some of the most beloved Halloween candy – including Hershey's Chocolate Bars, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Mounds, Good & Plenty, Bubble Yum, Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, Whatchamacallits, Milk Duds, 5th Avenue, and Hershey's Kisses.

On Thursday, food behemoth Nestle said it raised prices by 6.5% in the first half of 2022 because of an "unprecedented" rise in costs.

Nestle – the world's largest food company – hiked up prices in North America by 9.8%.

Nestle CEO Mark Schneider said, "We limited the impact of unprecedented inflationary pressures and supply chain constraints on our margin development through disciplined cost control and operational efficiencies."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/hallo...utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

MapleLeaf

LOL, personally, I think fried liver and onions are INCREDIBLE but it's probably an acquired taste...

Tofu = Blechh. I'd rather eat fried BBQ crickets from the WEF than anything with soy in it.
My mom often made liver and onions for supper when I was little and I hated it so much. I still am not very fond of it. I disliked many of the 'cultural' (Mennonite) foods I grew up on so I'm not passing them on to my kids. I once had a tofu lasagne but it was still so filled with cheese and sauce I didn't notice it.

A candy shortage would be kind of sad. I'm not big on the holiday of Halloween but I am a fan of the assorted mini-chocolate bars. And buying them on sale on November 1.

But I wish they'd stop blaming the pandemic. It was the government response to the pandemic that caused all of the problems. You don't shut down an economy for anything. None of this had to have happened.

SkyRider

I think I tried it once, and that was enough (Liver).

A holdover from my youth is yams; I can't stand them. I used to almost gag when trying them, especially with the marshmallows….yuck. The stigma has stayed with me. Not too many things that I don't like, but definitely liver, tofu and yams made the list.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think I tried it once, and that was enough (Liver).

A holdover from my youth is yams; I can't stand them. I used to almost gag when trying them, especially with the marshmallows….yuck. The stigma has stayed with me. Not too many things that I don't like, but definitely liver, tofu and yams made the list.

I don't care for cow liver, but I liked caribou liver okay... though it's still not something on my preferred list...

ChildofLight

Love the Milk Duds and Reeces. Also the Kraft Caramels. Yum!
To me the caramels were still affordable once in a while, though like everything I think the amount shrunk. Lately I haven’t seen them on the shelf. With the price of everything it’s all kind of off my list now anyway.

SkyRider

We've noticed a shortage of black licorice on the shelves of Walmart lately. They'll be gone for a couple of months, show up for a week or so, then gone again. Same with MinuteMaid lemonade. We developed a craving for the drink, but not showing up anymore on the shelves during the Summer season, when normally there would be a lot of the stuff.

athenasius

The Hershey Company – the fifth-biggest candy company in the world in 2021 – is sounding the alarm that they will experience a Halloween candy shortage this year.

The Hershey Company warned that it would not be able to supply enough candy for Halloween and the Christmas holiday season. The candy company blamed a scarcity of raw ingredients on the insufficient supply.

Reuters reported, "Pandemic-induced global supply chain disruptions and the Russia-Ukraine war have crunched supplies of cocoa, edible oil, and other food ingredients, pinching production lines of packaged food companies around the world."

Hershey Chief Executive Officer Michele Buck said on Thursday, "We will not be able to fully meet consumer demand due to capacity constraints."

Buck said that the company sources a great deal of its equipment and supplies from Europe – which has faced an economic downturn because of its reliance on energy from Russia. The invasion of Ukraine has also put a strain on getting products such as cocoa and edible oil.

Buck also noted that despite the candy shortage, the company expects sales to top last year still.

"Historically, Hershey's sales growth has been driven by higher prices and not necessarily volume ... The company is entering this period from a position of strength with that expertise," CFRA Research analyst Arun Sundaram said.

The Hershey Company saw its net sales rise more than 19% in the second quarter – raking in $2.37 billion compared to estimates of $2.22 billion.

The Halloween season is Hershey's best-selling time of the year – comprising approximately 10% of the company's annual sales.

The 128-year-old company manufactures some of the most beloved Halloween candy – including Hershey's Chocolate Bars, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Mounds, Good & Plenty, Bubble Yum, Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, Whatchamacallits, Milk Duds, 5th Avenue, and Hershey's Kisses.

On Thursday, food behemoth Nestle said it raised prices by 6.5% in the first half of 2022 because of an "unprecedented" rise in costs.

Nestle – the world's largest food company – hiked up prices in North America by 9.8%.

Nestle CEO Mark Schneider said, "We limited the impact of unprecedented inflationary pressures and supply chain constraints on our margin development through disciplined cost control and operational efficiencies."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/halloween-candy-shortage-food-hershey?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New-Trending-Story_WEEKEND 2022-07-31&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News
Because of course, as we all know so well

THE UKRAINE is the world supply of Cocoa beans-- being the topmost grower of Cocoa beans the world has ever known! :sarcasm

Sounds like Hershey's, Nestle and others are borrowing their Excuse O' the Day from Excuses R Us poster child President Biden.

EVERYTHING happens now because er ummm, RUSSIA or ummmm errrrr UKRAINE!!!!

NEVER EVER because the Excuse O Meter in chief just happened to put the kibosh on OIL, causing world wide prices of OIL to SOAR, meaning that factories (even those far off processors of cocoa beans in the Caribbean side of Ukraine) have to pay more to process the raw cocoa, then ship the stuff to Switzerland, Britain, America and elsewhere for processing using oil powered ships, trains and trucks.

Or that the much vaunted fertilizer shortage owes more to the shortage of petrochemicals than it does to any potash production slowdown.

Back