Help with Jehovah's Witnesses

Discussion in 'Modern Cult Groups & Errant Religions' started by mattfivefour, Apr 18, 2009.

1. livin_in_the_Son

livin_in_the_Son Well-Known Member

Ok, I live in a trailer park that has strict rules for "no solicitation". Basically, it means you can solicit whatever until someone tells on you.

Well, the local "ward" of JW's have taken to mailing every one in the park their "brand" of the (cough cough) truth. Blech! Both Jason and I have received separate mailings, addressed to us personally, complete with a letter with questions such as, "what is the meaning of life", "is God to blame for our suffering" and the direction to their website, plus an invitation to their "kingdom hall", with the admonition that there is never a collection taken.

Usually, I just toss these letters, along with the other junk. That is until I realized that the return address was for their ward, and not the address of the sender. That kind of made me mad. Like the sender was hiding behind their church, they didn't want the return mail.

So, I decided to send the recent letters received, back to the ward, complete with the verses and arguments detailed in the first post of this thread, a gospel tract...but also to say..."look we know the truth, leave us alone." Jason laughed, and said that it was a losing battle...and he's probably right. I'm just sick and tired of these particular JW's cluttering up my mailbox with junk.

At least others were bold enough in their beliefs to knock on my door, and engage in a discussion.

Truth be told, it also gave me insight into the heart of an unbeliever, who just pulled a gospel tract off their windshield. I'm not saying that passing tracts is bad...just that as true believers we shouldn't hide behind that safety net...we should be bold in our witness!

Praise God, I'm learning Lord!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Círeth, Andy C, Any Minute and 2 others like this.
  2. mattfivefour

mattfivefour Administrator Staff Member

You are right on the mark, sis! That is a very important lesson.

3. Any Minute

Any Minute Well-Known Member

I agree, continue to stand up for the Truth!

4. BarbT

BarbT Well-Known Member

As I was reviewing this very informative thread I noticed Lily's question above went unanswered. Out of curiosity I did a Google search on the subject. Most of the better sources that came up were blogs by ex-JWs so I can't post the links but I'll try to give a general synopsis in my own words gleaned from their stories.

*Donating to Cancer research, etc is discouraged as a waste of money because Jehovah will soon wipe out all disease in His Kingdom so why bother?

*The JW organization likes to brag about sending in teams of relief workers to help after natural disasters. True, they do send some help, but the part they suppress is that the teams are restricted to helping only JW "brothers" if at all possible. Very little help is ever extended to non-JWs and is discouraged.

*Homeless people are quietly looked upon with disdain as not worthy of Jehovah's favor. If they had only obeyed Him they wouldn't be homeless or hungry.....:rolleyes:

*Consensus: The Watchtower hierarchy of religious snobs views the world as a place full of evil sinners, beneath them in intellect and spiritual matters, who are about to be exterminated by Jehovah at Armageddon because they aren't "in the truth". They believe God would rather have His followers concentrate on winning souls than wasting time helping those who are doomed anyway.

I'm sure the WT leaders don't actually preach these guidelines out loud to their congregations but they do succeed in conveying the message. I have always known this is a dangerous cult but I never realized until doing this research today that the driving force behind the Watchtower is a cleverly masked hatred for people. :(

Mish, Círeth, Andy C and 3 others like this.
  5. Ducati

Ducati Well-Known Member

I have experienced this first hand with my grandmother, who is a JW.
    I stopped to help a homeless in need , she smirked and made an excuse that he'd probably go buy drugs.

Círeth, Andy C and Rez63 like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Looking Up

I don't know how I missed this reply post all this time! Nonetheless, thank you so much for searching and finding some answers. I have asked a JW I know repeatedly some of the above questions and he always rolled his eyes, or became silent, or changed the subject.

This is a heartless cult, in so many ways. Problem is, it's actually one of best in technique to keeping their followers in line. After more than ten years of trying, I cannot get my JW friend to listen to me. It's so sad.

This new information helps me though, the more you know the better the edge you have. Thanks BarbT!

Círeth and Andy C like this.
  7. sarah

sarah Member

Círeth likes this.
  8. sarah

sarah Member

mattfivefour, I love what you wrote above. I use that verse often with JW's. John 8;24 I also use the verses you use in the OT and Revelations. ONLY the LORD can help them "HEAR" the voice of the Good Shepherd !!!

9. sarah

sarah Member

10. sarah

sarah Member

Merrily, I loved what you wrote. The Lord sure can use what you told the lady. I will keep her in my prayers

Círeth, Andy C and mattfivefour like this.
  11. Keith Johnson

Keith Johnson Well-Known Member

Talking to the Jehovah Witness people

It was Saturday, the day JW's come visiting, and I invited the young couple at the door to come in and we began to talk. The topic of the Trinity soon came up. Unlike prior JW’s who had visited, they were not the least bit antagonistic. I would say they were a very pleasant young couple in their twenties and very open to an honest discussion of the scriptures.
    A ICR devotional for March 5 was on 'One God' (see below) which I had just read that morning. They were quite interested when I showed it to them and took a photo of that page with their phone. We talked more and covered the topic of the JW modifying John 1:1 from ‘…was God to ‘…was a god (for grammatical reasons which of course changed the meaning of the verse). Again the statement that Jesus was the only begotten Son of the Father is stated again in John 1:14

Eventually, we came to the topic the ‘New Earth’ and I remembered (actually, the Holy Spirit remembered for me) the March 3rd devotional ‘Living in the Real World’ (Isaiah 65:17) and again they had great interest in this and took a photo of the page with their phone.

It was a little cold outside and the grandmother and their daughter were waiting in the car so they had to go. I left them with 2Cor 3:14-16 since they seemed to be having trouble understanding Bible verses the same as believers do (their NW version has lots of changes). As Jeremy, was leaving he asked me what the bible says about changing scripter. I said I remember something in Rev 22, about whoever adds to the words of this book the plagues written here in will be add to him. He had been in the JW’s since the age of four, and just clinched his jaw when he heard that.

One God

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.” (Deuteronomy 6:4)

This great verse has been recited countless times by Israelites down through the centuries, setting forth their distinctive belief in one great Creator God. The Jews had retained their original belief in creation, handed down from Noah, while the other nations had all allowed their original monotheistic creationism to degenerate into a wide variety of religions, all basically equivalent to the polytheistic evolutionism of the early Sumerians at Babel.

But along with its strong assertion of monotheism, there is also a very real suggestion that this declaration, with its thrice-named subject, is also setting forth the triune God. The name “LORD,” of course, is Yahweh, or Jehovah, the self-existing One who reveals Himself, while “God” is Elohim, the powerful Creator/Ruler. “Jehovah our Elohim is one Jehovah” is the proclamation. A number of respected Jewish commentators have acknowledged that the verse spoke of a “unified oneness” rather than an “absolute oneness.” The revered book called the Zohar, for example, even said that the first mention was of the Father, the second one the Messiah, and the third the Holy Spirit.

The key word “one” (Hebrew achad) is often used to denote unity in diversity. For example, when Eve was united to Adam in marriage, they were said to be “one flesh” (Genesis 2:24). Similarly, on the third day of creation, the waters were “gathered together unto one place,” yet this gathering together was called “Seas” (i.e., more than one sea, Genesis 1:9-10).

Thus, Israel’s great declaration should really be understood as saying, in effect: “The eternally omnipresent Father, also Creator and Sustainer of all things, is our unified self-revealing Lord.” HMM Dr. Henry M. Morris

Living in the real world

“For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.” (Isaiah 65:17)

People often think they are being practical when they place material values ahead of spiritual, emphasizing that we have to “live in the real world.” The fact is, however, that we are not living in the real world at all but in a world that is dying and will soon be gone. “The world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever” (1 John 2:17). This is not even the world that God created, for that world was “very good” (Genesis 1:31). Because “sin entered into the world, and death by sin” (Romans 5:12), therefore, “the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now” (Romans 8:22). In fact, this world is not even as it was soon after God’s curse, for “the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished” (2 Peter 3:6).

The present, post-Flood world is now under the dominion of Satan, who is “the prince of this world” (John 12:31) and of “all the kingdoms of the world” (Matthew 4:8). The Lord Jesus Christ came to “deliver us from this present evil world” (Galatians 1:4). As our text says, this world shall not even “be remembered, nor come into mind.” It “shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God” (Romans 8:21).

Therefore, we must “be not conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2). We must “live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:12-13). In the meantime, our true citizenship, if we have been born again in Christ, is in the real world to come, and we are His ambassadors to an alien land (2 Corinthians 5:20). HMM

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. endofdays

endofdays Well-Known Member

noice!

Círeth and pixelpusher like this.
  13. Holly

Holly New Member

When I was a Jehovah's Witness one of the best responses I ever had was from a Christian woman whose incredibly short reply to me stayed with me even to this day. I knocked on her door and when she opened it I went thru my rehearsed introduction, "Hello, I'm Holly, how are you today?" Her reply, "I'm blessed!" I don't remember anything else about that encounter except the glow on her face and her joy filled reply. I knew she had something I did not. It would be a few years before I came to my senses, came to Jesus, and was saved, but during all that time I never forgot her.

So, Merrily, I wanted my first post here to be one of commendation for your witness to her and to let you know from her perspective, you definitely were a blessing to her, just as my unknown woman was to me.

14. pixelpusher

pixelpusher Well-Known Member

Welcome Holly!

Mattfivefour: That was a most excellent OP. I don't know how I have not come across that yet here, should be a sticky.

mattfivefour and Hol like this.
  15. Hol

Hol Worships Him

Welcome Holly! I love what you've shared about your coming home to Jesus :hug

I am learning a little more about JW because that's what a neighbor is & I keep praying for her. She used to be a Catholic, and in general is very easily confused. Maybe I can ask you a few questions sometime?

(BTW - That's my name too, but I go by 'Hol' here.)

mattfivefour likes this.
  16. Hol

Hol Worships Him

Wow, my pastor read the SHMAH (sp) Deut. 6 this morning! I'm getting a review.

I love the ICR daily devotion & get it by email.

Thanks for sharing (last April) Keith!

17. Soandso

Soandso Member

I must admit that 30 + years ago when I worked graveyards they would come to my door and wake me up. I'd get dressed enough to answer the door open the door give them what for for waking me up and tell them to leave. Finally one time I forgot to get dressed. I answered the door on my tidy whiteys. They never came back again. LOL

chaser and mattfivefour like this.
  18. lightofmylife

lightofmylife Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

I can spot Jehovah Witnesses and RLDS people as they are in the neighborhood. I have shared the gospel with both. They have been brainwashed in their church teachings. I never invite them in the house. I step outside and share the gospel with them.

mattfivefour likes this.