Hell question

Watching and Waiting

Those who were in Hell/Hades remain there (it has always been and will be a holding place) until the final judgement before being cast into the lake of fire. The only thing that changed was that Abraham and all the rest in the Paradise side left with Jesus. I can not say for sure if they are alone, but scripture tells us they are being tormented by Satan.
AH, I just don't get it. If the rich man could see and hear Abraham - and we know he could, because Jesus said he could - then was he all alone on his side of the gulf when he spoke to Abraham?

Maybe he could see Paradise, but now it is empty, so there is nothing to see?
Golly...can you imagine? Seeing this place called Paradise and it being a place of life and joy, even if all you could ever do is see it, only now it is like an empty abandoned building.

The biggest miracle in my life is my salvation, I do not know how I was ever smart enough to accept the gift, but like all of us here, I sure as sure, am sooo grateful for it.

Ahwatukee

Right.

Maybe Solomon's perspective on death and the grave (which I think he meant synonymous with hades) then was being written from the perspective of an unbeliever?

Sorry I'm pecking on my phone I will try to be more articulate later on keyboard.
Hello Pixelpusher,

Neither Sheol nor Hades, which is Hebrew and Greek for the same location, should never be translated as referring to the grave. The proper Hebrew and Greek words referring to sepulcher, tomb and grave is qeber and Mnemeion, respectively. Both Sheol and Hades always refers to the unseen realm of departed spirits. Sheol/Hads is the same place that the rich man and Lazarus went to when their bodies died and is the current location of all the unrighteous dead.

Strong's Concordance
hadés: Hades, the abode of departed spirits
Original Word: ᾍδης, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hadés
Phonetic Spelling: (hah'-dace)
Short Definition: Hades
Definition: Hades, the unseen world.

HELPS Word-studies
hádēs (from 1 /A "not" and idein/eidō, "see") – properly, the "unseen place," referring to the (invisible) realm in which all the dead reside, i.e. the present dwelling place of all the departed (deceased); Hades.

Ahwatukee

Lots of comments are focused on if the fire will cause light. What about the person who is being burned? How does their being continue on eternally without burning up?

Lots of intersting thoughts and questions, and Im so glad I will never be in a position to find out the answers.
Greetings Andy,

The answer to that, is that scripture states that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. As you know, the righteous will receive immortal and glorified bodies, whether resurrected or changed and caught up. At the great white throne judgment, the bodies of those who died who are in their graves and who died in the sea and their spirits which are in Hades, will be resurrected, receiving bodies fit for their punishment which can never be destroyed. This is how the smoke of their torment can rise up forever and ever and have no rest day or night and remain in everlasting fire.

HELPS Word-studies
géenna (a transliteration of the Hebrew term, Gêhinnōm, "the valley of Hinnom") – Gehenna, i.e. hell (also referred to as the "lake of fire" in Revelation).

Gehenna ("hell"), the place of post-resurrection torment (judgment), refers strictly to the everlasting abode of the unredeemed where they experience divine judgment in their individual resurrection-bodies. Each of the unredeemed receives one at the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11-15), i.e. a body that "matches" their capacity for torment relating to their (unique) judgment.

"and I (Paul) have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked."

"Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out—those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

Also, the word "anastasis" translated as "resurrection" is derived from two words "ana = up again and "histemi" = to stand, properly to stand up again in a physical body.

Strong's Concordance
anastasis: a standing up, i.e. a resurrection, a raising up, rising
Original Word: ἀνάστασις, εως, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: anastasis
Phonetic Spelling: (an-as'-tas-is)
Short Definition: a rising again, resurrection
Definition: a rising again, resurrection.

HELPS Word-studies
anástasis (from 303 /aná, "up, again" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – literally, "stand up" (or "stand again"), referring to physical resurrection (of the body).

Christ's physical resurrection is the foundation of Christianity, which also guarantees the future resurrection of all believers (see Jn 6:39,40,44).

[386 /anástasis ("resurrection") refers to the physical, bodily resurrection of Christ – and people (both of the redeemed and the unredeemed).]

Last edited:

Watching and Waiting

A thought...
God created friends, love, company etc as good things. I am not talking about ill company here, so if the unforgiven soul chose to spend eternity absent from God by rejecting Him; then he is indeed alone because he will not be sharing in the good things such as companionship.
What say you Adrian? Am I making progress? :)

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
A thought...
God created friends, love, company etc as good things. I am not talking about ill company here, so if the unforgiven soul chose to spend eternity absent from God by rejecting Him; then he is indeed alone because he will not be sharing in the good things such as companionship.
What say you Adrian? Am I making progress? :)
Absent clear Bible verses on a subject we are left with speculation based on what the Bible does say that has any bearing at all on the topic. But, for what it's worth, I believe you are on the right track.

Mish

This thread reminds me of the many, many times I have winced when reading "comment sections" and bumper stickers that incorrectly announce that Hell will be a never-ending party filled with debauchery and friendships! :ohno

That so many view Hell as a desirable, "fun" place to spend eternity is a LIE from satan… but embraced by a large percentage of humans! :nope

Diane B

My understanding and thoughts on Hell:
1. Absence of God=absence of all that is good
warmth, light, food, companionship, comfort,
2. It is promised in Revelation 21:4 that all tears will be wiped away in Heaven, so I assume in Hell:
there continues to be pain, grief, regret, crying
3. God made the world, He made the rules governing it.
No burning? - well in Exodus, there was a burning bush that got Moses attn., so I assume if those in Hell had a body, they could theoretically not be burnt/consumed by fire? Also, in Daniel 3 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were safe in the furnace (they didn't burn -- however, they also didn't feel the burning. I assume those in Hell would feel it.)
Jesus walked on water in Matthew and commanded the storm to stop in Mark/Luke. He made the elements, He can control them.
Jesus turned water into wine in John.
God stopped the sun and the moon in the sky in Joshua.
God covered the world with a flood in Genesis.
God appointed a fish to swallow Jonah (who pretty much emerged relatively unharmed).
He worked the miracle of olive oil for the widow in 2 Kings 4.
He worked the miracle of olive oil and flour for the widow in 1 Kings 17: 7-16
The sign of the fleece in Judges 6:36-40
Daniel was safe in the lions' den.
He burned the wet/soaked offering in 1 Kings 18:18-40
He sent ravens to feed Elijah in 1 Kings 17.
Numerous healings and resurrections
Jesus fed multitudes with small amounts of fish and bread.

I could go on for quite a while and I assume that I have barely scratched the surface of His miracles. But three that I always go back to are:
1. God SPOKE the world into existence. I don't know about you, but I can't make anything come out of 'nothing' by speech.
2. Return of Jews to their homeland/re-establishment of Israel after nearly 2000 years.
3. God took the form of man as Jesus, walked among us, was blameless/sinless, sacrificed Himself for us and died, and was resurrected so that we who believe in Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

I pretty much trust God about the whole Hell thing. I just know that I won't be going there and really don't want anyone else to go there. The flip side is that Heaven must be pretty amazing. (There are no sufficient words to describe it I assume. Something to be experienced.)
Just my two cents.