Hebrews 10:26 If I Go On Willfully Sinning, There Remains No More Sacrifice For Sin?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

You really need to quote bible verses to make your point, not just give your opinion. :nono

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
kin

David repented of his sin
True, but only after he was confronted.

My point being that we as humans would not allow someone who did what David did into Heaven. God states his perspective in the Bible, we cannot speak for God. If God says salvation is a free gift and no works should be added, I assume that is exactly what God meant. Do you know what is required to get a FREE GIFT? Nothing other than belief in it and acceptance of it.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

True, but only after he was confronted.

My point being that we as humans would not allow someone who did what David did into Heaven. God states his perspective in the Bible, we cannot speak for God. If God says salvation is a free gift and no works should be added, I assume that is exactly what God meant. Do you know what is required to get a FREE GIFT? Nothing other than belief in it and acceptance of it.

yes, I do. Read my prior post’s

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Oh no you cannot!

The Lord states that no one can snatch you from my hands, that includes you too. You cannot jump from His hands any more than Satan and his minions can snatch you from them.

I am detecting more than a little ‘me, me, me’ in some of your answers here. Salvation is not achieved nor lost by you, or me. It is a one time guaranteed free gift offer that, once taken and accepted, can never be taken from you nor returned to the giver.

Salvation is not possible by man, only God, through His Son and the cross and it doesn’t matter what you did before, nor what you did after genuinely accepting the offer, you are salved for all eternity.

Thank you for enlightening me. Please show me on any of my post where I claim anything about me, me , and saving myself????

by the way, are you telling me that I don’t have free will?

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Much better, thank you! :)

Here are some verses stating the same thing by Paul, but a little clearer.
1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Paul starts out in 1 Corinthians 6:9 by saying "Know ye not" meaning "You well know" that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God. I think everyone who believes in Heaven would agree with this statement if understood correctly. Let me ask you, when you get to Heaven would you expect to see anyone sinning there? No, well that is really all that Paul is saying.
In 1 Corinthians 6:11 Paul says that God saw some of you with the sins that he has mentioned. So what changed? Did everyone stop sinning? Nope. There was nothing that they did. They were washed, sanctified and justified by what Jesus did. So now, God no longer sees their sin.

Last edited:

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Much better, than you! :)

Here are some verses stating the same thing by Paul, but a little clearer.
1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Paul starts out in 1 Corinthians 6:9 by saying "Know ye not" meaning "You well know" that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God. I think everyone who believes in Heaven would agree with this statement if understood correctly. Let me ask you, when you get to Heaven would you expect to see anyone sinning there? No, well that is really all that Paul is saying.
In 1 Corinthians 6:11 Paul says that God saw some of you with the sins that he has mentioned. So what changed? Did everyone stop sinning? Nope. There was nothing that they did. They were washed, sanctified and justified by what Jesus did. So now, God no longer sees their sin.

It’s cool. I don't have to be right. Definitely not trying to fight with anyone.
Be blessed!

cheeky200386

I agree we can not lose our salvation but I believe that truly born again Christians will not stop growing without serious chastisement from God and even him ending their life.

I've met many "Christians" that recite the Gospel to me in crass ways where I question whether they have actually been quickened by the spirit and truly believe it in their hearts. I think some folks have the knowledge but are not saved.

I know people on here hate his but I fully support testing the fruit of people who claim to be brothers and sisters in Christ. Mainly so the Gospel can be shared with them and or fellowship should be avoided.

I would add verses but I'm at work and on my phone.

TheRedeemed

Thank you for enlightening me. Please show me on any of my post where I claim anything about me, me , and saving myself????

by the way, are you telling me that I don’t have free will?

Glad to have enlightened you!

You state that you can walk away from your salvation, can’t get much more ‘me’ than that.

Then you also stated that the unrighteous don’t enter heaven and stuff about divorce and adultery and as you sinning and debarring yourself from heaven because of it, suggesting that only by you not doing these things does the cross then matter.

You have free will, the free will to refuse the offer of salvation or not. You claim to be saved, yet deny that you are. It sounds like you’re doubting the work of the cross and still consider that apart from simply accepting the free gift offer, you then need to be doing this, or not doing that in order to keep what was freely given.

Last edited:

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
yes, I do. Read my prior post’s
This sounds like a lot of debates I have had before. If I am correct, you are not saying that works are required for salvation, but that works are evidence of salvation, is that correct? While that may sound good let's put it to a test.

I tell you that I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and am born again. I get married and then get divorced after two years as my wife and I are not compatible. I later find another woman and fall in love. As I have been soured on marriage, I decide I will not get married again and will just live with this new woman. You find out that I am living with a woman that I am not married to and tell me I am not saved. I say OK what must I do to be saved? What will you tell me?

Here is something I wrote that kind of points out the problem of unintentionally adding works to salvation.

An Endless Loop!

Unbeliever:

What must I do to be saved?

Christian:
Accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

Unbeliever:
OK then, please lead me in that prayer.

Christian: (Two weeks later)
I have not noticed a change in you and you continue to sin. Therefor you must not be saved.

Unbeliever:
You mean I’m not saved?

Christian:
No, because as I have said, you continue to sin and have not changed your lifestyle.

Unbeliever:
So if I stop sinning and change my lifestyle, then I will be saved?

Christian:
No, because you cannot earn your salvation, it’s a FREE GIFT from God.

Unbeliever:
So then what must I do?

Christian:
You must accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, but this time mean it!

Unbeliever:
OK, maybe I was not sincere enough, let’s try it again. Please lead me in that prayer again.

Christian: (Two months later)
Again I have not noticed a change in you and you continue to sin. Therefor you must not be saved.

Unbeliever:
You mean I’m still not saved?

Christian:
No, because as I have said, you continue to sin and have not changed your lifestyle.

Unbeliever:
So now what must I do?

Christian:
You must accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, but this time really mean it!

Unbeliever:
I really meant it last time. You keep telling me it’s a FREE GIFT and that I need to accept it. I keep accepting it, but then you say I don’t have it. I ask you how to get it and you say to do what I have already done. This reminds me of “The Song That Never Ends”. When you get to the end, it starts all over again. It’s kind of like a riddle or something!

Well, if God wanted to confuse me he certainly has! If this is God’s plan, then I must say it’s not very just. Why not just say in PLAIN ENGLISH what I need to do to be saved!

Christian:
Hum! Now I’m a little confused!

Actually the unbeliever became saved when they first prayed. Their actions after the fact will make a difference in how well their life goes while on earth and what rewards they receive in Heaven. The act of salvation is a ONE-TIME event and is a FREE GIFT from God.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I agree we can not lose our salvation but I believe that truly born again Christians will not stop growing without serious chastisement from God and even him ending their life.

I've met many "Christians" that recite the Gospel to me in crass ways where I question whether they have actually been quickened by the spirit and truly believe it in their hearts. I think some folks have the knowledge but are not saved.

I know people on here hate his but I fully support testing the fruit of people who claim to be brothers and sisters in Christ. Mainly so the Gospel can be shared with them and or fellowship should be avoided.

I would add verses but I'm at work and on my phone.
Cheeky200386, What kind of test would you give someone to find out if they are saved? Also, when you get home, I would love to see what verses support your testing of Christians, other than believing that Jesus is Lord and that he came in the flesh.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

This sounds like a lot of debates I have had before. If I am correct, you are not saying that works are required for salvation, but that works are evidence of salvation, is that correct? While that may sound good let's put it to a test.

I tell you that I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and am born again. I get married and then get divorced after two years as my wife and I are not compatible. I later find another woman and fall in love. As I have been soured on marriage, I decide I will not get married again and will just live with this new woman. You find out that I am living with a woman that I am not married to and tell me I am not saved. I say OK what must I do to be saved? What will you tell me?

Here is something I wrote that kind of points out the problem of unintentionally adding works to salvation.

An Endless Loop!

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:

I have not noticed a change in you and you continue to sin. Therefor you must not be saved.

Unbeliever:
You mean I’m not saved?

Christian:

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:
So then what must I do?

Christian:

Unbeliever:
OK, maybe I was not sincere enough, let’s try it again. Please lead me in that prayer again.

Again I have not noticed a change in you and you continue to sin. Therefor you must not be saved.

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:
So now what must I do?

Christian:
You must accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior, but this time really mean it!

Unbeliever:
I really meant it last time. You keep telling me it’s a FREE GIFT and that I need to accept it. I keep accepting it, but then you say I don’t have it. I ask you how to get it and you say to do what I have already done. This reminds me of “The Song That Never Ends”. When you get to the end, it starts all over again. It’s kind of like a riddle or something!

Well, if God wanted to confuse me he certainly has! If this is God’s plan, then I must say it’s not very just. Why not just say in PLAIN ENGLISH what I need to do to be saved!

Christian:

Actually the unbeliever became saved when they first prayed. Their actions after the fact will make a difference in how well their life goes while on earth and what rewards they receive in Heaven. The act of salvation is a ONE-TIME event and is a FREE GIFT from God.

your words, not mine brother.

I have witnessed soooooo many Christians that come forward to an altar call, say a prayer and believe they are saved.

there is no regeneration of the heart. No renewal of the mind. They continue to live a wretched life, full of sin. Yet they believe they’re going to heaven.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
You di

I have witnessed soooooo many Christians that come forward to an altar call, say a prayer and believe they are saved.

there is no regeneration of the heart. No renewal of the mind. They continue to live a wretched life, full of sin. Yet they believe they’re going to heaven.
You didn't answer my question as to what you would tell someone to do who you think isn't saved? :shrug

Andy C

An Endless Loop!

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:

Unbeliever:
You mean I’m not saved?

Christian:

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:
So then what must I do?

Christian:

Unbeliever:

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Unbeliever:
So now what must I do?

Christian:

Unbeliever:

Christian:

Excellent, my lawyer friend in defense of the free gift of salvation

Andy C

As opposed to the ones who outwardly live what appears to be a righteous life, but inside, where only He can see, they’re full of sin.

Hol

Worships Him
Now let’s look at your quote from Hebrews 10:26-29. If the writer was referring to our salvation then the first phrase of that passage has disqualified everyone who has ever lived from ever going to Heaven because no Christian has ever lived a sin free life.
Hi all! I've managed a few minutes at work to thank Chris for this clarification, and to see if any of you want to dig in and read Pastor Andy Woods' teaching on another difficult section from the book of Hebrews, chapter 6:4-6?

There are severe warnings in the book of Hebrews, but none are about losing our eternal salvation. Hopefully the pasted text below helps.

Here's a tickler (excerpts), the full text is under the Sermons section, titled: Part 41 - Soteriology with Pastor Woods

"What is the key to the book of Hebrews? The key to the book of Hebrews is not Hebrews 6 but it’s Hebrews 3. If you understand Hebrews 3:7-11 and you understand the historical circumstance that the author, we don’t know who wrote this book, is dialing back to--suddenly the book of Hebrews will make sense to you. And we’re kind of living in this age of time where people are trying to interpret the New Testament without the light of the Old Testament.

So Hebrews 3:7-11 is taking us back into the Old Testament. And to be honest with you, for years and years I did not understand the book of Hebrews because I’d heard one view on the book of Hebrews; I had drilled into my head the Reformed view or the Calvinistic view, and that’s the only view that I really knew. And God did a God-thing (as only God can do) in my life; I was sitting in a classroom and the professor, this is during my doctoral studies at Dallas Seminary, the professor was Dr. Ronald Allen, and he was doing an analysis of the Kadesh-barnea generation and he was making some points out of Exodus 14:30-31, which I’ll show you today. And at the same time, that was in the morning, at the same time I was taking an afternoon class with Dr. Pentecost and I needed two units to graduate, and I asked him if I could take his class. And it was not a doctoral class, it was a master’s class. He said yeah, you can take it but you have to write a bigger paper. So I took it and I was sitting there listening to him speak and he began to say… and I said what do you want me to write my paper on, he said I want you to write your paper on why the Kadesh-barnea incident unpacks the meaning of Hebrews, or unfolds it. And when he said that I had no idea what he was talking about; I just, like a good student, said okay, no problem, pretending like I understood. But I really didn’t understand.

I don’t think Hebrews 6 is talking about a loss of salvation, Arminianism. And I don’t think it’s talking about people that never had salvation, Calvinism. I think it’s talking about people that are on the precipice of losing something from God that’s temporal; in other words, it’s not a heaven or hell issue.

So we’ve read Hebrews 6, now notice Hebrews 3:7-11. You’ll notice that this is a quotation and this is what it says: “Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, ‘TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, [8] DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME, AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS, [9] WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me, AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS. [10] THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION, AND SAID, ‘THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART, AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS’; [11] AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

So the author of Hebrews, at the very beginning of the book, quotes Psalm 95, that’s a citation from Psalm 95. [Psalm 95:6, Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. [7] For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. Today, if you would hear His voice, [8] Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, As in the day of Massah in the wilderness, [9] When your fathers tested Me, They tried Me, though they had seen My work. [10] For forty years I loathed that generation, And said they are a people who err in their heart, And they do not know My ways. [11] Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest.”]

Psalm 95 says I was angry with that generation. Now what generation is he talking about? Psalm 95 in turn is going back to the book of Numbers, chapters 13 and 14. Numbers, chapters 13 and 14 is a pivotal time in Israel’s history."

There can be a severe loss of reward, and that's what the immature Jewish believers were learning from the author of the book of Hebrews.

Pastor Woods goes on the explain that these believers were turning back to the Mosaic sacrificial system due to persecution instead of pressing on towards sanctification.

Andy C

Hi all! I've managed a few minutes at work to thank Chris for this clarification, and to see if any of you want to dig in and read Pastor Andy Woods' teaching on another difficult section from the book of Hebrews, chapter 6:4-6?

There are severe warnings in the book of Hebrews, but none are about losing our eternal salvation. Hopefully the pasted text below helps.

Here's a tickler (excerpts), the full text is under the Sermons section, titled: Part 41 - Soteriology with Pastor Woods

"What is the key to the book of Hebrews? The key to the book of Hebrews is not Hebrews 6 but it’s Hebrews 3. If you understand Hebrews 3:7-11 and you understand the historical circumstance that the author, we don’t know who wrote this book, is dialing back to--suddenly the book of Hebrews will make sense to you. And we’re kind of living in this age of time where people are trying to interpret the New Testament without the light of the Old Testament.

So Hebrews 3:7-11 is taking us back into the Old Testament. And to be honest with you, for years and years I did not understand the book of Hebrews because I’d heard one view on the book of Hebrews; I had drilled into my head the Reformed view or the Calvinistic view, and that’s the only view that I really knew. And God did a God-thing (as only God can do) in my life; I was sitting in a classroom and the professor, this is during my doctoral studies at Dallas Seminary, the professor was Dr. Ronald Allen, and he was doing an analysis of the Kadesh-barnea generation and he was making some points out of Exodus 14:30-31, which I’ll show you today. And at the same time, that was in the morning, at the same time I was taking an afternoon class with Dr. Pentecost and I needed two units to graduate, and I asked him if I could take his class. And it was not a doctoral class, it was a master’s class. He said yeah, you can take it but you have to write a bigger paper. So I took it and I was sitting there listening to him speak and he began to say… and I said what do you want me to write my paper on, he said I want you to write your paper on why the Kadesh-barnea incident unpacks the meaning of Hebrews, or unfolds it. And when he said that I had no idea what he was talking about; I just, like a good student, said okay, no problem, pretending like I understood. But I really didn’t understand.

I don’t think Hebrews 6 is talking about a loss of salvation, Arminianism. And I don’t think it’s talking about people that never had salvation, Calvinism. I think it’s talking about people that are on the precipice of losing something from God that’s temporal; in other words, it’s not a heaven or hell issue.

So we’ve read Hebrews 6, now notice Hebrews 3:7-11. You’ll notice that this is a quotation and this is what it says: “Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says, ‘TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, [8] DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME, AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS, [9] WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me, AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS. [10] THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION, AND SAID, ‘THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART, AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS’; [11] AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

So the author of Hebrews, at the very beginning of the book, quotes Psalm 95, that’s a citation from Psalm 95. [Psalm 95:6, Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. [7] For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. Today, if you would hear His voice, [8] Do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah, As in the day of Massah in the wilderness, [9] When your fathers tested Me, They tried Me, though they had seen My work. [10] For forty years I loathed that generation, And said they are a people who err in their heart, And they do not know My ways. [11] Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest.”]

Psalm 95 says I was angry with that generation. Now what generation is he talking about? Psalm 95 in turn is going back to the book of Numbers, chapters 13 and 14. Numbers, chapters 13 and 14 is a pivotal time in Israel’s history."

There can be a severe loss of reward, and that's what the immature Jewish believers were learning from the author of the book of Hebrews.

Pastor Woods goes on the explain that these believers were turning back to the Mosaic sacrificial system due to persecution instead of pressing on towards sanctification.
Excellent from Pastor Woods. I listen to all his sermons.

Good to read a post from you after 8 months from the last one. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
This was something I found in one of the publications on the Jehovah Witnesses Web site under the title of How Can You Be Saved? The main points were made bold by me.

"Thus, once you are in the way of salvation, exert yourself to stay in it. You cannot earn salvation by works; faith is what is needed. But you do need to exercise your faith by practical works that give proof of it."
So you do not earn your salvation by works, but you must do works to get saved. Oh sure, that makes sense, not!!! :calvin

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Glad to have enlightened you!

You state that you can walk away from your salvation, can’t get much more ‘me’ than that.

Then you also stated that the unrighteous don’t enter heaven and stuff about divorce and adultery and as you sinning and debarring yourself from heaven because of it, suggesting that only by you not doing these things does the cross then matter.

You have free will, the free will to refuse the offer of salvation or not. You claim to be saved, yet deny that you are. It sounds like you’re doubting the work of the cross and still consider that apart from simply accepting the free gift offer, you then need to be doing this, or not doing that in order to keep what was freely given.

Yes, God has given all of us free will. Because of it, I can walk away from God If I choose. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be free will.

I didn’t state that the unrighteous wouldn’t inherent heaven. The Holy Spirit did, through the Apostle Paul.

I’m not here to prove to you whether I’m saved or not.

I have been walking with God the last 20 years. I have a powerful testimony.

God radically changed me, and continues to change me. Being transformed into the imagine of His son, daily.

I certainly agree with you that salvation is a free gift.

I disagree that you can live your life any way you choose and expect heaven.

Andy C

God radically changed me, and continues to change me. Being transformed into the imagine of His son, daily.

Im sure you never would, but you believe you have the ability to walk away from Him?

Just to be clear, you believe God did all the above for you, the all knowing God, yet God failed to know that you would walk away from the faith, return to sender His gift?

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

Im sure you never would, but you believe you have the ability to walk away from Him?

Just to be clear, you believe God did all the above for you, the all knowing God, yet God failed to know that you would walk away from the faith, return to sender His gift?

You're right. I have no desire to walk away. I've tasted how good the Lord is and love him. I'm reminded of his goodness daily.

Where would I go? He is the truth and the life!!! Where would I be without his grace and his mercies???

However, If I could not walk away from God then I don't have free will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back