Heaven…The Next Frontier (But Not the Last)

Rocky Rivera

You made a good point, and I was doubting it for a second there, but when I went back to read it over again... The New Jerusalem is what is being described in the passage you quoted, right? Since only the Church will be living in the New Jerusalem with our glorified bodies, it is accurate to say there will be no death there, even if there is death on the New Earth during the millennium. Since the resurrection has already happened for everyone that will live in the New Jerusalem at that point, it's like we have entered eternity earlier.

I don't know of quotation marks were in the original greek, but my bible translation has quotation marks talking about the New Heavens and New Earth, linking it back to Isaiah.

Look as well who is the one that shows John the New Jerusalem: it's one of the angels that was in charge of the bowl judgments during the tribulation. That would make sense if the New Jerusalem immediately follows the end of the tribulation (which ends with the bowl judgments), but not if John was seeing a vision of 1000 years after it.

There is also the matter of the tree of life being used for the healing of the nations during that time. In a world where there is absolutely no death, what would people need to be healed from?
The Earth during the Millenial period is still under the Curse. It is when sin is removed completely from the universe and co-signed to Hell that God’s promise of “ no more curse” will be fully and finally realized.

Perhaps the Tree of Life has some other life-enhancing properties. Also, we’ll be immortal, but we’re also finite. Granted, we’ll be many times more durable than our current state, but perhaps in the throes of some extreme sport we’re playing on the New Earth we’ll acquire some sort of injury that would require a little healing. I don’t know. We won’t really know till we get there.

It may also be possible that some of us might be clever enough to concoct potions made from the Tree of Life’s leaves and fruit that grant special abilities or increase our strength a thousand-fold. I can think of some other special effects. How about temporary imperviousness to extreme heat or cold? Or a brain-boosting formula to help a man solve complex tasks that call for some complicated mental gymnastics? The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

Salluz

The Earth during the Millenial period is still under the Curse. It is when sin is removed completely from the universe and co-signed to Hell that God’s promise of “ no more curse” will be fully and finally realized.

Perhaps the Tree of Life has some other life-enhancing properties. Also, we’ll be immortal, but we’re also finite. Granted, we’ll be many times more durable than our current state, but perhaps in the throes of some extreme sport we’re playing on the New Earth we’ll acquire some sort of injury that would require a little healing. I don’t know. We won’t really know till we get there.
I highly suggest reading through the parts of Isaiah again that talk about the new heavens and earth to get the picture straight. Isaiah's description came first and is what John was referencing, meaning it's the one we should refer to as the referee if we have confusion on the basics. John's explanation builds on Isaiah's, but doesn't contradict it. During the millennium on earth, the lion will eat straw like an ox and a child will be able to play with a viper without getting hurt. It sure sounds like the curse on the land is reversed to me, and that's why the whole world has been groaning like in the pains of childbirth waiting for Christ to come back and redeem it. The curse came into affect when Earth's original ruler, Adam, sinned. Since Earth was under his domain, it felt the affect of sin with him. When Christ comes again to be king, the Earth will be lifted up out of its cursed state and restored. because of who its king is.

I'm enjoying the discussion and I'm glad it isn't getting heated. I know this is a grand topic of debate here on the forum, but the NH&NE being at the start of the Milennium is the only way I can make all of the scripture on the subject consistent in my mind. Still have to agree with Jack here (and as an aside, I think Chris agrees with him too, going off of some other threads about this subject)

But I agree, we won't know for sure until we get there. Maybe I'll treat you to a meal if I'm wrong to apologize :lol