Healthy Eating

cheeky200386

Hi ladies, does anyone have a handle on mainting a healthy way of eating? Since hitting 30, I have had the hardest time getting to a healthy weight range. My health has just gotten slightly worse with age and I hear so many conflicting opinions on what is the healthiest way to eat. I hear carbs bad, carbs good, fat bad, fat good, plant based only good and animal protein bad. I'm 20lbs overweight at the moment and I just started my pregnancy.

I tried a Keto way to eat, years ago, and it helped me lose weight and I felt better for a few months but I missed carbs way too much. I don't want to feel like I'm starving and bored with food either.

I've watched documentaries and read books, but everything seems so difficult. I'm currently pregnant so I can't lose weight but I still want to eat better to get the maximum nutrients and energy up.

Right now, I mainly eat meats, eggs, spinach with breakfast, a plant based protein shake, grek yogurt, berries and then I'm starving by dinner and end up buying takeout. I just feel like I can't get enough food and have to cook all day to have enough. Even when I do cook, I get bored of eating the same thing 2-3 days in a row.

I just don't know what to do. I got blood work done and everything is normal. Exercise is non-existent at this point. I have always struggled with being consistent with cardio. I just hate it, but wish I loved it. Walking is easier but since having my son, I barely have energy to think.

What have you guys done to feel better? I know once I feel better, the weight will take care of itself. I just feel lost and stuck. I'm contemplating hiring a nutritionist for a specified look at what my body needs.

Leigh

This should be a really interesting thread once it gets going!! :nod

From what you said here "Right now, I mainly eat meats, eggs, spinach with breakfast, a plant based protein shake, grek yogurt, berries and then I'm starving by dinner and end up buying takeout." it sounds like you're doing the right things except that possibly you do need more carbs since you're starving by late afternoon.

Hiring a nutritionist might not be a bad idea, however if your blood work is good and you're feeling well (which is amazing since you're in the first trimester), why not just try adding more healthy carbs such as whole grain breads, rice, potatoes - say for a week or two - and see if that makes any difference in helping you feel satiated and in maintaining your energy levels?

When I came of age in the mid 1980s, low-fat eating was all the rage (which I tried doing for years - off and on - and still in my mind is what I should do), but as you know that has completely turned around and current advice is low-carb, higher fat, Keto, even carnivore.

Now, when I read or hear the 'experts' advising low-to-no carbs, I always think, "But God made those foods, so how can it be wrong to eat them?" Jesus ate bread and He fed it to the 5000! :D (I know - 'they' say that grains today are unlike the grains of past centuries.)

To me, just eating a wide variety of real foods, including healthy fats, as least processed as possible - in moderation - is the best way to be healthy and feel well.

Finally, intermittent fasting is another trend that helps many people in weight & health management, but probably isn't recommended during pregnancy. Maybe it's something you can research for after the baby is born.

Last edited:

cheeky200386

I'm just ready to be done with having babies. It seems like I can't get a handle on a normal appetite and make any healthy changes. It's confusing and I'm always starving. I remember that vividly from the first year of breastfeeding. There never seemed to be enough food in the house. Door dash became my best friend. I also didn't have the energy to cook large meals. I miss the days that I could go 4 hours without feeling hungry. I also can't wait for the day I can sleep in.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
To me, just eating a wide variety of real foods, including healthy fats, as least processed as possible - in moderation - is the best way to be healthy and feel well.
100% agree. The Mediterranean Diet is highly recommended across the board by many health food advocates. I love everything this program includes. Also, sweet potatoes are included and very good for satiety, especially with a bit of Rediwip (15 calories) and chopped nuts on top. :scoregood
Another super healthy and filling food is Milk Kefir, using kefir grains to ferment milk. I made smoothies this morning for dh and me: Milk kefir, 2 frozen bananas, 1 avocado, Cocoa powder, monk fruit, wide flake coconut, & nuts. Not sure of calorie content, but it would be easy to figure out. This smoothie is 'very' nutritious and filling.
If interested, you can search Mary's Nest, milk kefir. She's a precious sweet lady who explains it all very well. Also, you can research online for benefits of drinking probiotic rich milk kefir. You'll be surprised!
Yemoo.com. (Milk Kefir) I bought my grains from them.

Last edited:

Leigh

I'm just ready to be done with having babies. It seems like I can't get a handle on a normal appetite and make any healthy changes. It's confusing and I'm always starving. I remember that vividly from the first year of breastfeeding. There never seemed to be enough food in the house. Door dash became my best friend. I also didn't have the energy to cook large meals. I miss the days that I could go 4 hours without feeling hungry. I also can't wait for the day I can sleep in.
Pregnancy and early mommyhood are hard. :frown2 Sometimes you just need a big:bighugfrom someone who remembers, even if it was a long time ago. As you know, it's just a season of life and by God's grace you will get through it. :hug

100% agree. The Mediterranean Diet is highly recommended across the board by many health food advocates. I love everything this program includes. Also, sweet potatoes are included and very good for satiety, especially with a bit of Rediwip (15 calories) and chopped nuts on top. :scoregood
Yes!! If I were going to follow a specific diet I'd choose Mediterranean because it's so fresh and delicious. (Have to watch out for the vinegars because - as with SO many tasty things - migraine trigger. :thumbdown )

If interested, you can search Mary's Nest, milk kefir. She's a precious sweet lady who explains it all very well.

Thank you for mentioning this website - I think you've referenced it in the past, but I couldn't remember the name of it. I just looked her up and she is amazing!! I subscribed to her YT channel and will be watching her videos.

When my boys were young I was so much more into healthy & natural cooking (and tried to train them in that direction also). Now, between poor DH struggling with Crohn's and me with a headache half the time (maybe not really HALF the time but it seems like it), we tend to eat whatever is easy and sounds good at the moment.

We can do better! :thumbsup

Last edited:

cheeky200386

Pregnancy and early mommyhood are hard. :frown2 Sometimes you just need a big:bighugfrom someone who remembers, even if it was a long time ago. As you know, it's just a season of life and by God's grace you will get through it. :hug

Yes!! If I were going to follow a specific diet I'd choose Mediterranean because it's so fresh and delicious. (Have to watch out for the vinegars because - as with SO many tasty things - migraine trigger. :thumbdown )

Thank you for mentioning this website - I think you've referenced it in the past, but I couldn't remember the name of it. I just looked her up and she is amazing!! I subscribed to her YT channel and will be watching her videos.

When my boys were young I was so much more into healthy & natural cooking (and tried to train them in that direction also). Now, between poor DH struggling with Crohn's and me with a headache half the time (maybe not really HALF the time but it seems like it), we tend to eat whatever is easy and sounds good at the moment.

We can do better! :thumbsup
This is extremely difficult and I trying not to stay in a negative headspace. I just really miss my life before kids. I miss sleeping as long as I wanted and having actual days off. Mike does his best to help but he needs time off too and doesn't take it so that he can take Peter and give me a break. Right now I can't enjoy the break because I just feel nauseaus and fatigued the entire time. I hate this first trimester and think this is it for me. I can't see myself doing this anymore. I'm just getting too old for pregnancy. Maybe at 20 but not at 36.

Leigh

This is extremely difficult and I trying not to stay in a negative headspace. I just really miss my life before kids. I miss sleeping as long as I wanted and having actual days off. Mike does his best to help but he needs time off too and doesn't take it so that he can take Peter and give me a break. Right now I can't enjoy the break because I just feel nauseaus and fatigued the entire time. I hate this first trimester and think this is it for me. I can't see myself doing this anymore. I'm just getting too old for pregnancy. Maybe at 20 but not at 36.
We need that "care" button like they have on FB because sometimes that's the most appropriate choice.

It's exhausting having a toddler, and Peter's age is the hardest because he's mobile, yet not old enough to understand danger. Goodness knows pregnancy is exhausting, especially (as you pointed out) in the 30s and beyond. How many weeks along are you now?

Belle of Grace suggested in another thread hiring help after the baby is born, but perhaps now a homeschooled teenager could be found to come play with Peter a couple of times a week to give you a break. I had to do that during my second pregnancy because I was put on bedrest at 20 weeks. I asked around and was able to find & hire a sweet 13 year old Christian girl who came over a few hours each week to play with Timothy (who was five) and do some light housework and that was a win-win for all of us. Timothy loved the attention (she planned fun activities for him), John was grateful for the housework help because he was having to do it all at that point, I could get a little extra rest without worrying that Timothy might slip out the door if I dozed off, and it was probably good experience for the girl also.

Anyway, that's just a thought, but feel free to vent any time because most of us here can empathize.

cheeky200386

We need that "care" button like they have on FB because sometimes that's the most appropriate choice.

It's exhausting having a toddler, and Peter's age is the hardest because he's mobile, yet not old enough to understand danger. Goodness knows pregnancy is exhausting, especially (as you pointed out) in the 30s and beyond. How many weeks along are you now?

Belle of Grace suggested in another thread hiring help after the baby is born, but perhaps now a homeschooled teenager could be found to come play with Peter a couple of times a week to give you a break. I had to do that during my second pregnancy because I was put on bedrest at 20 weeks. I asked around and was able to find & hire a sweet 13 year old Christian girl who came over a few hours each week to play with Timothy (who was five) and do some light housework and that was a win-win for all of us. Timothy loved the attention (she planned fun activities for him), John was grateful for the housework help because he was having to do it all at that point, I could get a little extra rest without worrying that Timothy might slip out the door if I dozed off, and it was probably good experience for the girl also.

Anyway, that's just a thought, but feel free to vent any time because most of us here can empathize.
I've been desperately calling nanny agencies that other moms recommend but they are too expensive. I haven't found a teen who could help let alone trust. I dream of finding help but living in FL when family and friends are all in MA is making it extremely difficult. I know Mike is struggling not feeling bad for moving us as we started trying for a second. I'm asking God for help because I can't do it alone. I barely did it with Peter. It got really bad to the point I almost checked in to a hotel just to escape and get sleep. Sadly being close to support didn't help. They all work full time and weren't able to really help with Peter. I can't imagine this would be any easier.

I just don't know how other moms do it. They must be blessed to have non-working mom's and friends who can just be available 24/7.

I even reached out for help at my new church which is mostly elderly women. Only the Pastor's wife offered to help and watch him. Of course she won't be able to help once the baby is here as much as I would need because she's super busy. It's just hard not to feel resentful that there doesn't seem to be help for moms.

I'm just trusting God will provide the help in a miraculous way. That is giving me hope now that there are still many months before the baby arrives. Otherwise, I'm just filled with dread thinking about the first 3 months with a newborn and a Toddler.

Last edited:

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I'm just trusting God will provide the help in a miraculous way. That is giving me hope now that there are still many months before the baby arrives. Otherwise, I'm just filled with dread thinking about the first 3 months with a newborn and a Toddler.
Cheeky, I know that you did not care for the church you & I discussed in the past (let's not name it on the board). It had a Halloween event that you weren't happy about. Even though you don't attend that church, there are likely to be some very fine teen girls attending the Christian school in their church facility. This might be an option for you, if you call and inquire if there's a young female person whom you could meet with & get to know.

cheeky200386

Cheeky, I know that you did not care for the church you & I discussed in the past (let's not name it on the board). It had a Halloween event that you weren't happy about. Even though you don't attend that church, there are likely to be some very fine teen girls attending the Christian school in their church facility. This might be an option for you, if you call and inquire if there's a young female person whom you could meet with & get to know.
That's a good idea. I'll have to check it out. Thank you!

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I even reached out for help at my new church which is mostly elderly women. Only the Pastor's wife offered to help and watch him. Of course she won't be able to help once the baby is here as much as I would need because she's super busy. It's just hard not to feel resentful that there doesn't seem to be help for moms.
You're right, Cheeky. Your generation (same as our younger son and wife) has a really hard time getting even family members to do much to help. I felt so bad for my daughter-in-law, that I was hoping we could live near them for part of the year just to help out. The C'virus hit, home (condo) prices went skyrocket high, and I quit looking 'every' day at realtor.com, trying to find a suitable second home in their area. Beginning last month, their older child started attending preschool 3 mornings a week, but it's a half-hour drive from their home, and then my diL has to find something to do with herself and their two yr old daughter while the older one's in class for 2 1/2 hrs., then make the 30 min drive home. It's a problem that I can't solve, due to our living 8 hrs away. My dh isn't ready to live anywhere but here on the farm. So, I pray for them a lot.
(Insert my opinion) It's really best for young couples to find a church with other young families who can occasionally get together for mom's groups. Other young mothers really do understand each other's stress in dealing with very young children and not having anyone to help. Some of the young women are willing to trade off on helping. That's how my older diL managed her young family part of the time.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
It's really best for young couples to find a church with other young families who can occasionally get together for mom's groups. Other young mothers really do understand each other's stress in dealing with very young children and not having anyone to help. Some of the young women are willing to trade off on helping.

I even reached out for help at my new church which is mostly elderly women. Only the Pastor's wife offered to help and watch him.
(Your choice of a church has to be yours and Mike's), but do give some thought about the other church or another one with other young moms your age. You're 'on an island' all by yourself while in a church with mostly older people. If you had an opportunity to get to know some other young women and they got to know you, there would be times to get together & visit while the children play together. These typical mom's groups meet in homes, and occasionally at a park.
It's a win-win for the moms and the children. :meet

Leigh

Belle of Grace, I love your comments and suggestions! :nod

This is something that my sister and I used to talk about all the time - the lack of help for young mothers with little children. I only have my two boys who are 5-1/2 years apart so that was manageable (and I remember MANY times wondering how mothers "did it" whose children were closer in age), but my sister has eight, many of which are two years apart, and she lived out of state away from my mother and me so she had to rely on friends to help. Fortunately, her husband was a seminary student and eventually he became a professor so she had plenty of young women available - two in particular who became paid "regulars" and close friends of the family.

But anyway, that was something we often discussed... how helpful it would be for a young teenage girl to learn to care for babies and a household, but either they did not have time in their schedule to assist, or they just weren't interested because there were other fun things to be doing. Sadly, we all know that motherhood isn't valued and encouraged these days. Nonetheless, I think many young girls just naturally tend to love small children and would be willing to help out if they had the chance.

All of that to say - GOD understands and we will just have to pray that He provides exactly what you need, when you need it. :pray

Other possible sources of help (which you've probably already thought of and maybe checked into): mother's morning out programs, babysitting co-ops established between young mothers, MOPS groups, local homeschool support groups.

At the very least, go hang out at a Chick-fil-A for awhile because there are always young families there and you never know who you might meet that could point you in the direction of help! :D

Cheeky, praying that God will bring someone (or several) into your life who are willing and able to assist! :hug

ChildofLight

Try eating a balance breakfast like buttered toast with jelly and some yogurt or fruit or cereal that’s filling like granolas or oatmeal. Do not eat margarine or fat free milk products. The fat free products leave you feeling more hungry whereas the milk fats are filling and you will eat less of it.

I eat 2 boiled eggs with salt and pepper and a fresh fruit or 1 boiled egg with some canned peaches with cottage cheese sometimes with the butter crackers. The protein is filling. If hungry before lunch (dinner) or dinner (supper) eat some filling protein such as nuts, peanut butter and crackers or 1/2 a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Occasionally I break the lunch monotony with a couple frozen corn dogs or sandwich though the sandwich has lots of salt from processing.

My struggle is I need to get out and walk a lot more. Since weather cooling I can now.

cheeky200386

Try eating a balance breakfast like buttered toast with jelly and some yogurt or fruit or cereal that’s filling like granolas or oatmeal. Do not eat margarine or fat free milk products. The fat free products leave you feeling more hungry whereas the milk fats are filling and you will eat less of it.

I eat 2 boiled eggs with salt and pepper and a fresh fruit or 1 boiled egg with some canned peaches with cottage cheese sometimes with the butter crackers. The protein is filling. If hungry before lunch (dinner) or dinner (supper) eat some filling protein such as nuts, peanut butter and crackers or 1/2 a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Occasionally I break the lunch monotony with a couple frozen corn dogs or sandwich though the sandwich has lots of salt from processing.

My struggle is I need to get out and walk a lot more. Since weather cooling I can now.
These are so good ideas!

Baby Yoda

From what you said here "Right now, I mainly eat meats, eggs, spinach with breakfast, a plant based protein shake, grek yogurt, berries and then I'm starving by dinner and end up buying takeout." it sounds like you're doing the right things except that possibly you do need more carbs since you're starving by late afternoon.

Maybe you are not eating enough fat and protein early in the day. That's the best part of Keto, I'm not hungry late in the day if I eat correctly early. The more carbs I eat, the more I want.