Healthier Eating

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I am considering all options, Atkins, etc..
Definitely doing better physically on non processed foods.
@Cindy S. has helped me a lot.

This is a thread where anyone can talk about all things food.

I have a problem of wanting to eat (sweets) when my stomach is truly not hungry. I am going to pray and fight my way through this.
I'm at lunch now, I went 16 hours without food and not really hungry. That's victory!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Eat three good meals a day. Avoid empty calories. Avoid processed foods to the extent that that is possible. I understand that not everybody has time to cook from scratch. Write candy right out of your diet but enjoy an occasional serving of ice cream, pie, cake, etc. If you're not overweight, no worries. If you are, make some changes in your lifestyle. Add some activities that burn calories. That'll do a lot more good for your health than trying to cut calories.

The majority of people who go on diets are what I call yoyo dieters. They diet, lose weight, then put all of it and often more weight back on. Then they diet again... usually the latest diet fad which constantly changes because it is a big industry that a lot of people make their livings off of. The yoyo lifestyle is very unhealthy. If food is a problem for you... for example, if you overeat when you are stressed, it might be a good idea to see a counselor of some sort because the overeating is merely a symptom of an underlying problem and not the problem itself. If you want resolution, you have to discover the problem and conquer it. Focusing on a symptom won't help.

Eric Nicholas

The best that I ever felt in my life, my diet looked something like this :

Breakfast : 2 eggs scrambled or over-easy. Buttered. If they were over-easy, I mashed them up and put them on top of the toast. If scrambled, I'd forego toast. 2 strips of bacon and exactly 8 fluid ounces of orange juice.

Lunch : Two salads with the works or the equivalent of two in one. I used whatever dressing that I wanted, but didn't drown the salad.

Dinner : Predominately chicken breasts or fish, one fillet, and sometimes red meat (steak). With the protein, I'd have a California or Mediterranean blend of vegetable with a little olive oil. No bread. I rarely ever had dessert, as it was hardly a temptation for me. I rarely ever ate anything the size of my palm after dinner.

Snacks : Trail mix without a bunch of chocolate, almonds, and a spoon of peanut butter in between meals. These helped get the good monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Beverages: almost exclusively water and sometimes white unsweetened grapefruit juice, because I'm weird like that.

After I left my parents house at 17 and got away from their restaurants, this was about it for me day to day, every day and I had never felt better. I mostly ate healthy as a child, but the aforementioned restaurants started creeping in and ruining things. As soon as I went off of that and ate what I wanted, even in moderation, I instantly started feeling bad and it has caused me a large portion of problems to this day. I regret I ever fell off the wagon. That was six years ago. My body wasn't made for junk. I've always had a terrible reaction to it.

Last edited:

Cindy S.

When he comes, will he find faith? Luke 18:8
I've had a desk job all my life, I've had gym memberships numerous times. I don't have the time or the interest to do that anymore. I am finding cutting meals is working for me. Tonight DH won't be home for dinner. I'm going to have a banana and a blueberry yogurt. I feel why eat so much that you have to run like a rat on a treadmill just to burn it off?

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I feel why eat so much that you have to run like a rat on a treadmill just to burn it off?

Ideally we should eat just what we need. Additionally our bodies seem to be built to need fuel spread out throughout the day. If we go for long periods without fueling up it affects our blood sugar levels in ways that aren't healthy. A day or three of fasting isn't an issue, but a lifestyle of missed meals is not healthy.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Honestly, when I was eating three home-cooked meals, at the table, everyday and running in the morning, the weight just melted off of me. Not quickly, of course, but definitely steadily.

Any snacks were fruit, and dinner was done by about 6:30 at the latest. This was when I was living in China, so there wasn't cheese, and deep-fried foods were only served on big holidays.

It has been my experience that hunger is not my friend when I'm fat. When I get hungry, it's too late and I overeat on unhealthy foods. If I keep my meal times regular, I don't get hungry and don't overeat on things that are not healthy for my body. A balance of meat vegetables and healthy carbohydrates keeps me going nicely.

Last edited:

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Get enough sleep. Trying to concentrate, work, think, etc. takes energy. You get energy from sleep and food. You can't do it with neither. The more sleep, the less food required. The better the sleep hygiene (consistent bedtime, enough sleep, and uninterrupted/good quality) in a comfortable bed, pillow, and covers, in a comfortable room (temperature, humidity, lighting, and no noise), the better the sleep, the more benefits, and the less food/hunger. Sleep produces many, many, many other benefits.

Olives, especially pimento-stuffed green olives help when sweet cravings hit. 4 usually does the trick, and recommended by Atkins.

Processed sugar, all artificial sweeteners, and stevia are bad. Xylitol gum that doesn't have any other sweetener might be necessary for some people's dental health, though. Diet soda is a definite :nono

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I tried something new...its called Chaffles. Its a mix of an egg, an ounce of cream cheese, 1 tsp of coconut flour, .25 tsp of baking powder and 2 tsp of sweetener. Mix and pour in a waffle iron. It's like an eggy bready type of thing. You can use it in place of bread for a sandwich or something. Low carb, low sugar. Tastes ok. Tons of recipes on Pinterest.

Lady Di

Finishing my race with joy
Okay, full disclosure: About 11 years ago, I lost almost 50 lbs. and have managed to keep it off. Here's how I did it.
First, I ate regular, low processed foods. I did portion control; still do.
Second, I count calories. Sorry, no way around this. Fortunately, there are a lot of cool apps that can help you with this. Also, I keep active. The old diet advice is true: Eat less, and exercise more.
Third, no food is off limit, but I learned over time that some are better than others. Sweets, for the most part, are out. They don't satisfy in the long run. I also eat low fat. Fats, as their name says it are fattening.
I went slow. A pound or two a week was all I wanted to handle. The point is this is a lifetime endeavor, so I did not want to starve. Just be healthily hungry.
After about three months of "dieting" I got tired of it. So, instead of throwing in the towel, I did maintenance. I ate enough calories that I needed to maintain the weight I was at that time. Then the next month, I went back to losing. This worked during the holidays also.
My grandmother did this all her life. On the weekend, she would allow herself something extra, like a piece of pie or whatever she wanted. Then on Monday morning, she was back at it. She managed to maintain her weight this way. Usually Saturday is my day to go a little bit beyond and treat myself. That way, I don't feel deprived.
As I say, it's a lifetime race. So find whatever you can live with. You may need to experiment, but you will find what works for you.
Finally, not to be discouraging, but maintaining the weight is harder than taking it off. I can't take my guard down. Fortunately, this has all become a way of life. If I find I am gaining a pound or two, I get right back on it. But for me, it's worth it.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
When I was on Atkins, I lost a lot weight and after induction was over, I wasn't hungry and didn't crave sweets. Unfortunately, I ended up with high cholesterol from it (rare effect), and had to get off the only thing that ever worked for me. I don't have a thyroid anymore due to thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer, so on thyroid hormones, so reducing intake and increasing exercise doesn't work nearly as well as if I still had my own thyroid :mad

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
As I say, it's a lifetime race. So find whatever you can live with. You may need to experiment, but you will find what works for you.
Finally, not to be discouraging, but maintaining the weight is harder than taking it off. I can't take my guard down. Fortunately, this has all become a way of life. If I find I am gaining a pound or two, I get right back on it. But for me, it's worth it.

Congrats, you did and are doing it the smart way. Well done!

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
Indeed, Congrats! And very true the same program that works for you won't fit everyone. I have a sweet tooth and I found out oatmeal raisin cookies are my friend. The old fashioned oats in the cookie dough keep me full, and keep me from eating junk, candy bars, ice cream etc.
Exercise helps me too, without exercise I get hungry all the time and don't eat well. As long as I hit the treadmill, and mix a little weight lifting routine in and stick to eating good food I am keeping an extra 50-60 lbs off my frame. And I feel good all the time, low heart rate at rest, even while working out and pushing hard I don't get seriously winded.
Today's food intake;
Breakfast after workout, smoothie with strawberries/blue berries, Dannon light & fit greek yogurt, half a pear, half a peach, after the smoothie a small bowl of old fashion oatmeal, throw in some raisins and a little honey.

Lunch today a left over grilled burger, chopped and rolled in a small tortilla with some cheese and dice dill pickle & mustard, small bowl green beans, asparagus and peas with a little butter.

Dinner Cheese steak Philly sandwich and probably a few crinkle fries.,I may have an adult beverage with dinner, and a couple oatmeal cookies after dinner. I was 219 lbs back on 9/15/2015 and now my weight stays between 165-168lbs.
Regular exercise and avoiding junk food and portion control are key for me, and we rarely eat out, I like to cook and the food tastes great.

Channah

When I was younger I was pretty thin and could run 10 miles. Loved it when the endorphins kicked in. Then as I got older, gained weight. Started the Atkins, lost a lot of weight but the side affects were bad. Now I just try to low carb, high protein, but being of Asian/Mixed race, I have to have my noodles. Costco has these spinach egg whites that I love, so that helps, plus oatmeal and just try to cut out sugar.