Health insurance for seniors - advice needed

Psalm37v4

Hello sisters and ladies,

I'm getting ready to retire in 3 years...I will be 57 then and I guess I will be considered a "senior citizen." LOL
I plan on moving out of state when I retire, and while my pension has an insurance plan it's probably not going to be useful wherever I move to.
So for now, I'm looking into health insurance plans (for myself) for seniors that won't cost me a fortune, and cover what I will need.
I will be moving to either Pennsylvania or Texas, depending on how things go with my mom over the next few years.

Thanx everyone! :)

kathymendel

In California, there is no inexpensive health insurance plan available...........it is all expensive. I'm talking $400-600+ per month.
Fortunately, I'm old enough to get medicare. I think you have to be 65 or 66 for that.

Psalm37v4

In California, there is no inexpensive health insurance plan available...........it is all expensive. I'm talking $400-600+ per month.
Fortunately, I'm old enough to get medicare. I think you have to be 65 or 66 for that.
That is ridiculous. I'm sure it is the same in NY, PA or TX. (grrr)

Reactions: Kem

Cindy S.

My DH is retiring this month at 62, you have to be 65 to get Medicare I'm told. I'm carrying him on my work policy for 5 years, Lord willing.
I think you call health insurance providers and get quotes just like shopping for car insurance.

Kem

Citizen
That is ridiculous. I'm sure it is the same in NY, PA or TX. (grrr)
When we got here to SC we already had medicare but it does need a little help. In NY we found a program that added some coverage to what medicare covers and didn't charge anything at all over the cost of medicare. Here in SC that kind of policy was a bit more difficult to find but we did find a very reasonable one with Humana. Just Google health insurance for your state and see what is available. Likely you will get some charts with different rates and coverage and can make your best choice from there.

Amity

When we got here to SC we already had medicare but it does need a little help. In NY we found a program that added some coverage to what medicare covers and didn't charge anything at all over the cost of medicare. Here in SC that kind of policy was a bit more difficult to find but we did find a very reasonable one with Humana. Just Google health insurance for your state and see what is available. Likely you will get some charts with different rates and coverage and can make your best choice from there.

I'm on SSDI disability due to my cancer treatment and addison's disease. I have a humana medicare plan as well that has a zero premium other than my Medicare part B. Before that, since you have to wait 2 years on ssdi before Medicare kicks in, I had an Obamacare bcbs plan. It was my only choice. Texas is horrendous when it comes to insurance of any kind and few if any options for the uninsured barely above the poverty level. I found that out when I lost my job when I got sick. Can't wait to get out of here. Texas is quickly turning into California.