Have you tried reading a book in the Bible continuously?

Hidden

You know, like how you would a read a novel almost non-stop. If you haven't, you should try it. I read the Book of Acts recently for about four nights in a row. I think it's a great way to read God's Word because sometimes much of the context is lost when we read just portions of it in our devotion. If you read many chapters a day, you will have a feel for its flow and you can better connect the dots. It will give you a bird's eye view of the message of the book and the Spirit will show you things that you wouldn't otherwise see by reading just a few verses at a time.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I'm the same with TT, i have read some chapters in its entirety but never attempted to go from the start of the bible to the end.

Now i just try to read a chapter at a time and have some caffeine before i do it so i can try and ready it slowly and try and understand what i'm reading .

Disclaimer : Sorry shoulda said asked for help from the Holy Spirit first then take some caffeine so i have the attention span to read and understand, then every now and again i might ask a question on here for clarity as this is one of 2 christian forums that i trust

Andy C

Years ago, I read all of Romans every day, for 30 consecutive days.

For me, if I power through to much in one setting, I end up reading it like I do a novel, skimming through parts. Plus, it takes awhile to digest the Word, and I like to reread passages in the same sitting, especailly after I catch myself drifting, and then have to go back.

Kerbluey

I’ve done this with all of the New Testament and several books in the old. Judges was really interesting as is Acts, which I’m reading now. I think Paul is about to die though, so I’ve put off reading more. You grow attached to these people ,lol. I’m probably going to read the Samuels next. Edited to say I keep my Unger commentary nearby to learn about the history and geography as I’m reading. I’m really enjoying it.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I’ve done this with all of the New Testament and several books in the old. Judges was really interesting as is Acts, which I’m reading now. I think Paul is about to die though, so I’ve put off reading more. You grow attached to these people ,lol. I’m probably going to read the Samuels next. Edited to say I keep my Unger commentary nearby to learn about the history and geography as I’m reading. I’m really enjoying it.
Yeah i remember feeling a bit cut when Elijah was about to get raptured and poor Elisha kept getting reminders from his fellow prophets that the Lord was going to take Elijah away

Hidden

Sometimes when I'm reading a chapter in the evening, I'll just keep going and read several because I'm interested in the topic even though I've been exposed to it all many, many times.

That happens to me too, if the story piques my interest, I keep going for several more chapters to find out what happens. I think it's a great way to read narratives like Genesis, Judges, Kings, the Gospels, and the Book of Acts.

Bethlehem57

You know, like how you would a read a novel almost non-stop. If you haven't, you should try it. I read the Book of Acts recently for about four nights in a row. I think it's a great way to read God's Word because sometimes much of the context is lost when we read just portions of it in our devotion. If you read many chapters a day, you will have a feel for its flow and you can better connect the dots. It will give you a bird's eye view of the message of the book and the Spirit will show you things that you wouldn't otherwise see by reading just a few verses at a time.
Yep! And what’s even better is that our Pastor preaches out of the Bible, book by book. We have been in Mark’s Gospel for quite some time and will probably finish up in the next two weeks. I have heard sermons before that seem more chatty and conversational than Scriptural. I can’t remember them after we leave the parking lot. I can honestly say that hearing sermons straight from the Bible (even though it takes awhile to get through them) are much more memorable and impactful.

Reason & Hope

Acts is one of the best books to read continuously because it is one long story. I do almost all of my Bible reading this way now: a few to several chapters a day, finishing one book at a time. I'm not trying to race, so I will pause and write down verses and thoughts.

I had a friend years ago who had an hour commute and would use the time to listen to an audio Bible. He would spend a week in each book, listening to it multiple times. By Friday, he has a really good grasp of not just the concepts and arguments, but the overall structure; and he'd memorized some parts too.

Misty S

Honestly, that is about the only way we go through it. Keeps everything nice and contextualized, which has proven to be critical given all of the false teaching that pervades confessed faith.

I've read nearly the whole bible in that way once. Ok, so I flipped through chronicles, it begat boredom.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
Honestly, there are advantages to any way one reads the Bible. Going over something verse by verse and concentrating, reading the books straight through, taking a theme and looking up other verses that come to mind as you work on it- I'm not sure we should limit ourselves to any one approach.

Andy C

Back in late January, I changed how I study the bible. I started reading from the time of Moses, and read the bible first thing every morning, starting with 15 minutes, then in February I started reading for 30 minutes every morning. I read the bible straight through all the Old Testament books, and then went back and read Genesis. I then started reading the four gospels in New Testament and read all the rest of the books in chronological order, and now Im almost done with the book of Revelation. This is the first time I have read all the books from beginning, to the end, in consecutive days since starting in January.

I will continue reading first thing every morning for 30 minutes, but now I will randomly pick a book in the New Testament and read that several times before moving on to a different book. I like to read about 3 chapters at a time, reread them, and then move on to the next three chapters, repeating the process until I finish that book.

Back